Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cable operated disc brakes for road levers
  • aP
    Free Member

I’ve been using BB7s up until recently, seem reasonably reliable. It full of faff, and a bit painful to constantly adjust, so I thought I’d try HY/RD instead. These seem ok, but those on herself’s bike suddenly ended up with almost no power last week commuting home. I’ve changed the pads and adjusted the piston and the cable adjuster so that they actually bite before the levers pull back to the bars.
    I’m a bit nervous about the intricate adjustment required for these brakes, and am wondering if something like the Paul Component klamper might be better? Does anyone sell them in the UK?
    Or is there something fundamental that I’m missing about the setup and adjustment of the HY/RDs?
    Ultimately I could change to SRAM hydraulic levers and brakes, but I’m loath to spend that much, and convert to 11 speed…

STATO
    Free Member

Ive yet to need to adjust my BB7r other than a single click to accommodate pad wear, they can rub when full of grit but it clears easy enough. I can see how the hyrd might potentially lose power if it was held closed for a while building up heat, as when open it might need a few pumps like hope used to when they boiled. Either that or the pads got below the amount of self adjustment of the pistons?

Dont think anyone has tried the clamper, but for the cost i think id stick with BB7 or go full Hydro. I think there is a SRAM 10speed option, if you want SRAM that is.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Trp spyres are good IME. Both pads move and they are easy to set up.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I can certainly recommend the Hope V-Twin, but I understand the view many have that it’s a lot of money to spend on a ‘conversion’ solution.

However, if like me you love Hope brakes, have experience in maintaining them, and have confidence in them, then I think it’s a good investment. If you can get a good set 2nd hand for half the RRP, then it’s a no-brainer in my opinion.

My experience so far is that they’re fit and forget, especially with the X2 sintered pads that seem to last forever – certainly many times longer than my old BB5 pads. Overall, I do like the look of TRP and other conversion calipers, but at the end of the day, X2 calipers are likely to be much tougher and reliable.

kcr
    Free Member

Don’t over tension the cable; the piston needs to fully return in order for the brake to work correctly. If you use the lock out screw, as per the instructions, when setting up, you should be OK.

I found that there was too much lever travel on the Hy-Rds, but solved this by swapping the cable clamp plate to the lower side of the actuating arm and clamping the cable on the inside of the clamping bolt (have a search online and you’ll find pictures). Simple fix, but it transformed the lever action for me, and I don’t have to pull them all the way to the bars now.

evilsovereign
    Free Member

I’ve recently fitted juin tech R1’s on my tripster, and they are great. it started with spyres, then hope’s, and now R1’s. for my my riding inability, the R1’s, give me the lever travel I like, bags of power, and easy fitment. spyres were very good, didn’t like the hope’s at all. I like to have adjustability.

aP
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ve got some S700 shifters / brakes coming.

aP
    Free Member

Those brakes are great, shifting nearly sorted, but was out on Sunday and I had confidence in them! Which was nice.

daver27
    Free Member

I’ve had the Juin Techs for a good few months now, bloody brilliant things. and a bargain price

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cable operated disc brakes for road levers’ is closed to new replies.