Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cable guide broken off carbon frame – Planetx awful
  • RabidDog
    Free Member

Hi, so disappointed with Planetx, I have 2 bikes,lots of accessories, even live in Sheffield but customer service has done it for me. I have a Dirty Harry 29′ and the cable guide on the top tube has sheared off. Customer service response is they don’t stock that part – thx, if that’s the best of 2 months waiting for a response and no interest afterwards of any help.
    Does anybody have any ideas on how I may hack this. Have read that a few people have glued things in but it seems an area of reasonable stress so not sure that would work ?

Northwind

Good ol planet X

Did you lose the part? You can pretty much just araldite it or any suitable guide back on. (other glues are available but araldite is ideal, nice and chewy and totally safe on carbon resins) Pics’d help

Rubber_Buccaneer

Maybe post up a picture. If you have given up on getting any joy out of planet x then either the right adhesive or, if your frame is like my whippet, maybe a pop rivet could do the trick.

RabidDog
    Free Member

Cheers..bad news is the part has disappeared somewhere in the Peak District. Looks like it was riveted on. I will get a piccie tomorrow. Didn’t realise initially just thought my gears had got messy after a minor tumble, only when my chain ring shift didn’t work either did I realise. It’s crazy, must be a £1 part but the whole bike is screwed.

bencooper
    Free Member

If it’s just a two-hole cable stop, they’re readily available – I’ve got a box load.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Way less than £1. You can always run continuous outer and zip ties

Rubber_Buccaneer

Oops, sorry Ben. I meant it’s a £5 part 🙂

tjagain

plenty of ways of sorting it – and old skool band on cable stop might well work

cp

only when my chain ring shift didn’t work either

Good excuse for changing to 1x

😉

RabidDog
    Free Member

Thx, currently the cables are a good 2cm off the frame. I’d quite like a fix that would last as I (used to) commute to work on it, and for me i have gone to the dark side roadie riding at the moment. If anyone has a link to the kind of part I should use..much appreciated.

RabidDog
    Free Member

…been thinking about 1x, but I have a lot of hills to get up on the way back ! I do use it for enduro racing as well.
    Real shame actually, like the bike but I won’t be buying Planetx again.

prettygreenparrot

Continuous outer & some zip ties like Rubber_Buccaneer said. That should sort it. And make for smoother shifting over the winter.

Though cp has a point. 1x is really good.

RabidDog
    Free Member

Now why didn’t I think of that ! …simples. Thx

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cable guide broken off carbon frame – Planetx awful’ is closed to new replies.