Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Cable disk brakes for roadies – whats good?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

So I’m picking up my Caad x next week, and by all accounts it is severely let down by the standard ‘pro render’ brakes that come with it.

Above all else on a bike, I like to be able to stop when required, so these are going straight in the parts bin.

Which leaves me with the question of what to replace them with. The obvious option is BB7s, however I had the BB5s previously and they were absolutely hopeless.

Anything else to consider? Are these fancy hydrolic calipers any good? Money definitely a factor on this bike, is meant to be a no frills workhorse so cheaper the better. I’m even considering only replacing the front one for time being.

joemmo
    Free Member

Generally TRP spyre seems to get the nod but I’ve got on fine with the Shimano BR-517 and some 160 rotors used on my commuter / crosser bike. They definitely benefit from some good quality compression-less cable housing though, I’ve got a set of Jag-wire on mine and the difference from the stock cables is noticeable.

skaifan
    Free Member

You do understand that in running discs on your road bike you will crash and the rotors will cut your entire body off 🙂

milky1980
    Free Member

I’ve got the Promax Render R’s on my commuter, a change of brake pads made a world of difference. The originals are very hard so they last well but have no initial bite. Switched them to some Clarks Organic and they are loads better, as good as the BB7’s were on my previous commuter.

nathb
    Free Member

1) TRP Spyre
    2) A wall
    3) Avid BB7
    4) Avid BB5

In that order.

the00
    Free Member

TRP spire on mine. They’re ok, but pads run closer to the discs than the BB7s, and they’re more of a fiddle to adjust. They have more modulation than the Avids on my MTB.

I have not tried road BB7s.

For me, I selected based on price. It would be the same next time around.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I’ve just swapped from a pair of Hayes CX Expert which were pretty good once set up (cheap option) to juin tech r1 (£150 option) which are definately better now bedded in and lighter because you know it was my birthday and I wanted a treat

Bez

I’ve had Spyres and BB7s, both have been good in my book and I’d merrily buy either again. There are differences but they’re minor.

prawny

I’ve got some BB5 copies which I’d bet are very similar to the promax brakes, they’re ok, I’ve done nearly 12000 miles on them (2 fronts in that time) in the last 18 months and they’ve been consistent and decently powerful, definitely an improvement over dual pivots.

I’d rather have spyres because single piston brakes are an arse ache if you do lots of miles or hydros ideally but they cost too much.

I’d give the renders a go first, see how you get on. Then upgrade if you really hate them.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got spyres with trp compressionless cables and Fibrax organic pads and they stop just fine, even when coated in cx ra e mud

shermer75
    Free Member

I have BB7s, quite a faff to set up properly (and I thought they were rubbish until I did) and then they were really good.

simondbarnes

Spyres & BB7 have worked well for me. A well setup BB5 also works well. Am now using Shimano Hydraulic though.

mancalledaaron1
    Free Member

Juin Tech R1 – really easy to set up and service. Great performance. I got them on two of my bikes.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

TRP spyres vastly better than Avid IME.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

BB7’s never let me down.

frankconway

I know you asked about mechanical discs but, if you can stretch your budget, move to hydraulic.
    I run Sram Hydro-R and they’re faultless.

John_Rowlands
    Free Member

TRP Spyres, used on and off road, just a quick tweak of a barrel adjuster to hone in.

atlaz
    Free Member

Spyre from a friend’s recommendation. I had one bike with Avid BB5s and hated them. Sold the bike after a week.

IHN

BB7’s never let me down.

This, mountain and road.

dovebiker

Been using BB7s (Made by ProMax FWIW) since they came out and whilst they’ve been pretty good, disappointed that they’ve not seen much change in that time. I have TRPs on another bike – dual piston design is much better. As said, compressionless cable outers is key.

RustySpanner

Using both Spyres and BB7’s.

Both work well, prefer the look and setup/adjustment of the Spyres, prefer the feel of BB7’s.

Both fine IME.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

I have found memories of BB7s. Once set up properly delivered consistent and strong braking.

Liked very much Promax Renders. Much easier to set up than BB7s, but slightly more agricultural with regulators prone to seizing.

On TRP Spyres now. Nice in modulation department, but lacking stopping power in comparison to BB7s. Will see if pads change will do them any good after I will use out originals.

Cheers!
    I.

ransos
    Free Member

Spyres are fine but I’d save up and get hydros next time.

RustySpanner

Ivan, the original resin pads on the Spyres were very poor.

Much nicer feel and more power with some sintered pads, made a big difference.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Thanks Rusty Spanner!

Will be changing soon, especially front as it starts to be on the thin side now.

Cheers!
    I.

Pickers

BB7’s never let me down.
    This, mountain and road.

Also this.

neilpass
    Free Member

I bought a set of TRP Spyres off the classified section when I built my Kinesis ATR, fitted new UberBike race pads and used 160mm Shimano IceTech rotors. Once they had bedded in they work spot on

acjim
    Free Member

I used BB7 road for ages – 8/9 years? – they are fine but they do need a fair bit of adjustment. Mainly due to the 1 pivot design

Switched to Juin-Tech last year, along with a cable upgrade (jagwire). Lovely brakes, less adjustment and constant feel. Look nice too. I did have to get one replaced when the pivot seized, but the shop did it no questions asked.

Still have the battered BB7s as spares though, they do “just work”

so:
    spendy – juin-tech or other cable>hydro
    less spendy – bb7

Ben_H

I have used BB5 Road, BB7 Road and BB7 SL Road. Each are progressively better than the last. They all seem to have increased by c.50% in price recently. 🙁

The SLs are really pretty good, although no doubt inferior to my dream setup: Shimano hydraulic levers with the new Hope RX calipers.

Bez

Are SLs noticeably better than standard BB7s?

eemy
    Free Member

I have a set of 2x Tektro Lyra cable disc brakes, boxed, unused with 140mm rotors if anyone is interested

mattbee

Just paid £68.50 for a new pair of Spyre inc rotors & adapters from eBay.
    Had Juin Tech before which weren’t too bad but then tried the Giant hydro/cable hybrids.
    They work well enough (for £120 a set) but there’s a lot of lever travel before they bite & I hate that. They will be going on the classifieds when the Spyre turn up.

wildc4rd
    Free Member

Wiggle have the TRP Hy/Rd (cable-hydraulic) for £95 an end at the moment, I have them on 2 ‘road’ bikes, absolutely superb if not the cheapest option.

BadlyWiredDog

On TRP Spyres now. Nice in modulation department, but lacking stopping power in comparison to BB7s. Will see if pads change will do them any good after I will use out originals.

The original pads are horrid, lake bite, rubbish in the wet and wear fast (fortunately). As per all the above posts, compressionless housing makes a significant difference, as does pad choice. They seem more choosy about pads than hydraulic systems, maybe because they have less outright power, so reduction in friction is more apparent.

I’ve just upped the front on my cross bike from 160mm to 180mm and despite warnings of doom, it’s worked really well so far. Also, you can hack Shimano XT pads to fit by grinding/filing a small amount off the sides of the pads so they fit which avoids the unpleasant thing where the stock 515 pads overlap the braking surface and grind away at the spider – means you can use Hope floating rotors too I suspect.

Never used the Hy/Rds, but they get good reviews. BB7s okay ime, but the Spyres are easier to set up and adjust.

If I could afford it, I’d go full hydraulic though.

Bez

Just paid £68.50 for a new pair of Spyre inc rotors & adapters from eBay.

Will be interested to hear how you find those. I loves a bargain, but I have an instinctive distrust of anything from the half-price Taiwanese sellers on eBay 😉

maxlite
    Free Member

+3 Juin Tech R1 – really easy to set up and service. Great performance. I got them on two of my bikes.

larrydavid
    Free Member

100% compression less outera – especially on the back. Absolutely essential. And, if you’ve got ok cable routing you can use this which is cheap: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-performance-brake-cable-set-shimanosram-road/

Otherwise you will need the Jagwire with EZ bends included. I couldn’t use the Lifeline outers with my CAAD 12 as the exit whole-caliper at the rear was too tight a bend.

mattbee

For info after earlier post. My eBay cheap Taiwanese Spyres turned up today. Absolutely fine, shiny new & all the bits there inc proper instructions & all the bolts & brackets & rotors. No customs fees or duty to pay. Not bad for sub £70 the pair.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Cable disk brakes for roadies – whats good?’ is closed to new replies.