Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cable disc brakes & road STi's
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Will these Tektro iO cable disc brakes work with these Shimano Tiagra 9 speed road levers?

Also does having a double at the front mean you must have a double shifter or will a triple work fine?

mk1fan
    Free Member

I’d say no they won’t. STi/Road levers have a different cable pull ratio to V-brake levers. What you need is some Avid ‘BB-7 Road’ callipers.

I used a Triple STi with a double chainset but it never seem to run right. It would always end up rubbing on one side of the mech or the other. There didn’t seem to be any reason for it not to work though (assuming I have impecable mechanical skills).

markenduro
    Free Member

they will work but will have too much leverage and no modulation. Onone are doing the road bb7 for 50 a piece at the mo, they will work and pads will be easy to source. Triple shifter will work fine on a double setup

steve_b77
    Free Member

markenduro – Member
    they will work but will have too much leverage and no modulation. Onone are doing the road bb7 for 50 a piece at the mo, they will work and pads will be easy to source. Triple shifter will work fine on a double setup

When you say too much leverage, do you mean you’d have to hardly pull the levers to make them work?

I’ve got a set of the Tektros in the shed, thinking of changing my flat bar commuter into a drop bar on, got the bars too, something to try on the cheap.

scaredypants

When you say too much leverage, do you mean you’d have to hardly pull the levers to make them work?

I think road levers pull LESS cable don’t they – meaning you’ll have to pull the lever more if you use mtb disc brakes ?

markenduro
    Free Member

yes, you have to pull lever more but you also have more leverage as the cable is moving less for the same amount of lever movement compared to a linear pull lever, resulting in bigger brake forces for the same lever pressure. It makes setting them up really critical and regular adjustment, i’m currently running a mix of road and mtb callipers on my pomp with road levers and the mtb one will lock up the wheel with very little pressure on the lever and the lever travel is a lot further than the road one.

scaredypants

I do the opposite & run road callipers on my wintery mud bike – trying to keep the pads well away from the disc & still easily get braking without using up lever travel as the ratios are different

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cable disc brakes & road STi's’ is closed to new replies.