Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Caberston Trails (Golfie) – Forestry work.
  • gfrew88
    Free Member

Quick heads up, all trails between Flat white and Liver Damage are closed until the end of march for forestry work. The entrances to the trails are blocked and there are signs up, so if you get decapitated by a fallen tree I guess it’s your own fault.

BoardinBob

Hopefully the trails are salvageable. Would be a real shame if Flat White was destroyed given the amount of work that went into it

legend
    Free Member

It’ll be a lot quieter up there with Flat White being closed 🙂

ChrisL

legend – Member
    It’ll be a lot quieter up there with Flat White being closed

With my cynic’s hat on, I’d suggest it may be a bit quieter, not a lot quieter. MTBers are not always the best at paying attention to closure signed and forestry operation notices.

gfrew88
    Free Member

With my cynic’s hat on, I’d suggest it may be a bit quieter, not a lot quieter. MTBers are not always the best at paying attention to closure signed and forestry operation notices.

They have went to the effort of building fences at each entrance. It’s only for a couple of months and it’s just thinning rather than felling apparently. Plenty of other trails around to keep folks entertained.

Northwind

Most of flat white isn’t in the trees so at worst it’ll need a new bottom on it (the top was ridable for a while before the bottom existed, you just had to cut out the side and traverse along the edge of the trees) It’s not the heaviest growth in there so I’d assume it’ll be thinning- though, that can still be pretty destructive.

What’s liver damage? Never heard of that one.

Phil_H

2 weeks ago

survivor

This must of just happened. We were up on Sunday and no signs or fence at the start of the trails It did just look like thinning at the bottom of flat white so I’m sure it’ll live again.

ChrisL

Phil_H – Member
    2 weeks ago

Yes, I saw that thread at the time. I’ve also had personal experience of this when working on trails at Glentress with the Trailfairies.

Northwind

The difference is, if you ride a closed trail with the fairies, all you get is vague middle class disapproval and possibly even some tutting. If you do it with forestry work, you get a branch through the liver.

CheesybeanZ

What’s liver damage? Never heard of that one.

If you do it with forestry work, you get a branch through the liver.

🙂

ChrisL

Northwind – Member
    The difference is, if you ride a closed trail with the fairies, all you get is vague middle class disapproval and possibly even some tutting. If you do it with forestry work, you get a branch through the liver.

Only because Freakcrab isn’t at many sessions any more. If he was banksman and you ignored the barrier, you’d know about it!

Northwind

@cheesybeanZ, that was totally not deliberate but good spot!

BoardinBob

Just read on the TVMR page that a forestry worker died somewhere in the valley yesterday from some kind of injury. Not sure if it was the golfy or somewhere else 🙁

selkirkbear
    Free Member

Just read on the TVMR page that a forestry worker died somewhere in the valley yesterday from some kind of injury. Not sure if it was the golfy or somewhere else

The accident was on the Sunderland Hall Estate further down the valley

Northwind

Oh that’s grim 🙁

Of all the FC chat that bugs me, the one that gets me the most is “all these trees have fallen down on <trail X>, why don’t the FC just clear it, it’d take 5 minutes with a chainsaw” then you go and look and there’s 500 tons of hanging timber just waiting to drop on someone. Nobody seems to believe that forestry work can be dangerous… That’s why Pennel’s Vennel was shut but people decided it was just an excuse.

BoardinBob

Yeah, basically the world’s most lethal game of kerplunk 🙁

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Caberston Trails (Golfie) – Forestry work.’ is closed to new replies.