Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • CAAD10 disc frameset self build v CAAD12 105
  • johnny63

Torn between building up the CAAD10 with a mix of 5800 105 & Ultegra hydraulics or waiting until end of year for the CAAD12s 105 to get discounted –

I reckon I should be able to build the 10 up for less with a better set of wheels & the Ultegra brakes

But offset that against BB30a & (although may use adaptor) and generally a “lighter” / “better” (???) frameset in the CAAD12

Would I really notice the difference in the frames or would the better wheels make up for any differences

Opinions / thoughts welcome please

letmetalktomark

Registering interest in this as I’ve been in the same quandary.

I’ve specced up a few CAAD10 disc builds based on the Evans frame and forks price and on nearly every occasion have come within maybe £200 of a CAAD12 – that was with cable discs & Ultegra IIRC

I appreciate £200 is £200 but I understand the CAAD12 is an even better frame and fork package than the CAAD10.

For me I don’t have the money to shell out for a CAAD12 straight away but could quite easily build up a CAAD10 by summer.

I know I could wait until summer and buy a CAAD12 but thats a moot point 😉

The CAAD10 looks great in black to.

As as I say …. registering interest!

cynic-al
    Free Member

What’s the weight saving, 200gm odd? That’s numerically a LOT. CAAD10 is an excellent frame bit your CAAD10 build may be as light with better wheels.

I’d prob decide based on whether you CBA waiting.

johnny63

Weight wouldn’t be my primary consideration but I think the 200gm C/dale talk about is based on their integrated system ie the seatpost, collar, headset & hi-mod fork but would only apply to the Dura ace build and above – think the rest have a standard mod fork so weight saving closer to 120g

Wheels I was considering were the Hunt Masons so probably 200g less than the Maddux ones

Add to that the Ultegra v 105 hydraulics and I think the weight of the CAAD10 all in would come in less than the CAAD12 105

@mark – I already have most of the bits and pieces, so outlays for me are the frame & the wheels at £719 plus BB @ £49 if I want to fit this –

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/1750232/products/wheels-manufacturing-pressfit-30-to-outboard-bottom-bracket—shimano.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=Cj0KEQiAl5u2BRC6yszC1_75v5wBEiQAD-hdz0GJ_CmrTN5YfLUjfzOrmSbzDRkPg3Ne6uVBW4KpNqwaApsF8P8HAQ

(have a Praxis but it won’t fit the CAAD10 internally)

So really, just curious if the 10 would be that much of worse / better / same-ish v the 12

and Al, exactly – could I be arsed waiting

Frankenstein
    Free Member

CAAD10 is awesome (I’ve raced and owned a few).

The CAAD12 is slightly more lush.

I would buy the 105 12′ and then upgrade as you get fitter.

Isn’t the current 105 really quite close to Ultegra this time?

If you’re race fit, then a race ready 10′ would be fine too.

Do it, do it now!

johnny63

lol – can’t do it NOW as the 12s won’t be coming down in price until at least September…and then prob from £1500 to £1200 ish ?

Agree about the CAAD10 being a great frame – I had one built up with 105 and it was great – was definitely a lot less p’precious’ about it than the carbon bikes but I sold the frameset, so have the bits left over and just fancied a disc ‘race’ geo bike for a change

By slightly more lush, what do you mean – a bit comfier or just a bit blingier ?

flange
    Free Member

Might be worth getting a Jan issue of Cyclist as they reviewed the Caad12 disc in there (albeit the more expensive one).

In summary they said that its very good, but if you have a CAAD10 then they wouldn’t bother upgrading

johnny63

Cheers – will check that out

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I had a test ride on the 12, and it was slightly softer on the rear. Was strange using discs too.

There should be a few dealers who will let you test ride after leaving a deposit.

Evans cycles is selling the disc ’10 frame for around £370 +-£5. Includes the fork.

You could transfer your running gear over?

I’ve bought bikes in Dec after waiting for a £500 price drop. You can get some bargains if you’re very patient.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My time on a CAAD10 was so good (as good as my Roubaix and barely different from my Supersix) I doubt you’d regret buynig one.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Surely you could build a CAAD 10 for way more than £200 less than a CAAD12??!!

johnny63

More than likely – but, as Cannondale like to reduce everything in September, we’re looking at the CAAD12 105 coming down in price to around the 1200 mark ?

CAAD10 frame, wheels, & Ultegra hydraulics would be about 1K – so just add rest of groupset & reasonably good finishing kit say 300 – 350 ? (although could be done way cheaper 2nd hand) – leaves a total 1300 to 1350 for Ultegra standard ?

The Ultegra CAAD12 is currently £2k – discount in Sept say £400 – so an extra £250 to £300 over the CAAD10 ?

so really looks like it comes down to Al’s question – is it worth the waiting to save 250 – 300 quid ?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Spot the problem with Cannondale – I love their bikes but they always seem to to over supply/stock and get hefty reductions, so who buys at rrp? Look at Paul’s Cycles still selling 2013 stuff, their 2015 Supersix Ultegra reduced from 2000 to 1300 etc. I even managed to get a reduced SuperX last year when everybody else was selling out of CX bikes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

For me I wouldn’t spunk the 250 for 150gm, the CAAD10 is already such a good frame.

johnny63

and taking into consideration that the CAAD10 frameset looks so much better than any of the 12 variations, seems like an obvious decision – think that’s my mind made up anyway

thanks for the input !

ryan0380
    Free Member

The caad 12 disc frame was designed specifically for use with disc and has different features to the rim braked caad 12. Whereas I read somewhere that the caad 10 disc is the normal caad 10 with disc tabs added. I looked into this earlier in year and I found cannondale versand in Germany to be very reasonable for the caad 12, def worth sending them an email

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘CAAD10 disc frameset self build v CAAD12 105’ is closed to new replies.