Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • C456 Head Angle
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

My google fu is letting me down, what’s the head angle on a first gen C456 with different fork lengths?

Also is there a slackset that works with tapered forks?

Mugboo

My original c456 has a 2degree Slackset to ape the geometry of the original raw summer season. Not sure what the headangle is but that was Brants advice.

docrobster
    Free Member

Not sure if it helps or not my old summer season was about 65deg with a 140 fork I think.
    (iPhone clinometer and 3 years old memory notwithstanding)
    Edit: found a couple of threads on bike magic and mtbr re Sumer season head angle;
    5″ fork 66.6
    120mm fork 66.2 (from brant himself)
    So my measurements not “too” far out?

For a c456 add 2 to those numbers

chrishc777
    Free Member

So 67 degrees with a 140 fork, not particularly steep then. I do think it could be slacker and the bb could do with dropping a bit.

Any experiences of running 2 degree slacksets on them?

Northwind

I had a 2 degree in mine, big improvement imo… Thing I found was it didn’t climb amazingly as standard anyway, so it wasn’t like I risked blunting it. Ironically I found it a better techy climber afterwards, I guess because some weight was kicked forwards? Waggier on untechnical climbs and flats but miles better downwards. Still wasn’t crazy about it, I upgraded to a Ragley eventually, the 456 was workmanline and effective but that was all.

Works Components, for all your angly needs.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Cheers Northwind. Yeah I think by effectively slackening the fork you drop the headtube to ground measurement steepening the seat tube angle. Makes sense in my head anyway!

The helpful people at Works have already told me exactly which one I need so I might give it a go

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve got the older 16″ frame with 2 degree slackset with 140mm forks and very happy with it on ups and downs. Altho I wasn’t unhappy with it for the 12 months it had a standard HS in, the slackset def. made it feel that bit better. I’ve had some problems with the headset bearings not lasting very long, don’t know what’s causing it, it was all done by a proper bike mechanic, just keeps going thru them a lot quicker than you’d expect.

amedias
    Free Member

Are those measurements static or sagged? assuming static….but some measure and quote sagged/ride height* geometry which can skew things.

*Although annoyingly very few manufacturers list the actual A2C measurement as there can be a fair bit of variation between manufacturers and chassis for the same travel.

Mugboo

I’ve been riding my raw since they sold the first batch of cheap. It replaced the original summer season and I’ll be riding it till it breaks. It’s the winter version of my 2012 NP Mega and I often carry on riding it well into Spring. A lot of my local trails are dirt based and it’s not much slower than my FS.. I wouldn’t take it anywhere too rocky though

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘C456 Head Angle’ is closed to new replies.