Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • C456 brake lever clearance
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

Just finished building my C456 and apart from the worn out T rex I was sold in the classifieds 😡 I’m almost happy. The only issue is that the even with high risers and a couple of spacers under the stem the levers hit the top tube when turning the bars all the way, This happens often if the bike falls over, when loading into the car or when inevitably crashing the bike on the trails and in the latter case a strong impact wouldn’t be good for the frame.

Is there any cheating way of getting around it that I am missing? for the moment I have the levers almost horizontal to stop it happening but that isn’t really practical, I could stick another spacer under the stem but the front end already feels too high for me

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

I have the same problem with a 20″ 456.
    I just set everything where it needs to be and live with it.

The levers aren’t done up stupid tight, so if the worst happens I’m hopping that they will turn slightly on the bars.

I have a load of spacers but straight bars, which gives me the right height. If I were to stick some riser bars then they would probably clear the top tube, BUT I’d be higher on the front end, and it may start to look a little ‘odd’.

Perhaps armour the tube a little where the levers meet if you’re worried?

maxtorque

You want the brakes set up quite horizontal to help “Under rotate” the bike, however, even like this, i find the shifter levers hit the top tube on my C456. I’ve helitape’d the top tube, and make sure the shifters / brake levers aren’t clamped too tight. So far in 2 years and numerous crashes, all’s been fine!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Set the bike up so that it fits and rides well. All my brakes/bars hit the top tube, If I remember I put a wrap of silicone tape, or bar tape, or heli-tape on the spot. If I don’t the paint gets scratched or the tube picks up a dent, but it’s never been a problem*.

If the bars can rotate fully something else will break insted, brake hoses get ripped off etc.

*to me, but then all my bikes look well used after the first week, you can plot the share price in T-cut against when I’m trying to sell a bike!

chrishc777
    Free Member

Cheers, will wrap the section of top tube in helitape I think

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘C456 brake lever clearance’ is closed to new replies.