Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • C2W/Cyclescheme, What do bike shops get out of it?
  • bruneep

Thinking of taking part this year just wondering if the bike shop get the full voucher price out of the scheme or do they lose a % to be part of it?

Just wondering who is the real beneficiary of this scheme or is it a win win for everyone who takes part?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think they lose 10%.

I was slightly startled nonetheless to be charged a 10% mark-up on my C2W bike. I can think of few circumstances in which a seller would get away with re-charging to the customer the commission payable to an intermediary who had introduced business the seller would not otherwise get.

But I did not make this point, object or go elsewhere, so in that case the beenficiaries were C2W (which got 10% of the sale), the bike shop (which got a sale) and (just about) me (who got an expensive bike tax free). 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

the only time i view it as acceptable to add on the 10% voucher cost is to bikes in sales – as the other option open to the shop under guidelines is that the bike be charged at full price

a local shop to my old shop was adding the 10% on to any cycle scheme bikes- drove lots of customers to us who were all quick to voice this was being done – was ace 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    miketually
    Free Member

The bike shop get 90% of the sale.

There's no reason why your employer can't buy the bike direct and work out the tax deductions themselves. There is no requirement to use any scheme.

I was charged 10% extra, because the margins on cargo bikes aren't huge in the first place.

Android
    Free Member

Most LBS's I visit will give 10% off if you are a regular anyway so they are probably not losing that much more than they would anyway.

They must be benefiting from the scheme bigtime, I have two bikes that I wouldnt have bought with out it, well I might have but they would each have only cost half as much 🙂 And there are thousands of people who wouldn't be on a bike if it wasn't for the fact that they were getting something back from Gordon! Theres also the knock on from the sale with repairs & spares upgrades etc. My LBS loves it!

As Mike says, the scheme is run as a business, not actually by the Government so the money has to come from somewhere. I run the scheme for my employees and we just sort it out ourselves, its not exactly rocket science for a book keeper!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘C2W/Cyclescheme, What do bike shops get out of it?’ is closed to new replies.