Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • c2w loopholes?
  • StuMcGroo
    Free Member

anyone had a new bike on someone else's c2w scheme? just wondered if it was possible.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its possible but its fraud IIRC

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

fraud? hmm, ok i'll rephrase. anyone borrowed someone else's c2w scheme bike?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

It's fraud and tax evasion.

Who do you think you are – an MP?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Phone teh police!

bommer
    Free Member

on a slightly related tangent, does anyone know why child seats aren't allowed on cyclescheme? Not that it effects me, we've recently had one rejected in work….

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

It is fraud and if it's shouted about often enough on public forums and the likes the game will get stopped.
    As with all things like this there are loopholes. If you're going to use them then sshhhhhhhhh! 🙂
    I could suggest using a persons C2W bike on the days they choose not to.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

i reckon it'll be ok, if questioned why she bought a 20" frame when she's only 5'3", mrs mcgroo can say she though she had trouble touching the floor the shop assured her it was the right size!

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

ok barney mcgrew, 10-4, you ain't seen me… right?

end of thread.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

😉 😆

cookeaa

Hmmmm, so you want to purchase something for less than it's retail price using a discount that isn't available to you?

the only "legal" way as far as I can see is for your friend to lease/buy the bike through C2W, use it for a year, finally pay it off with their employer so that is definately their property then they can sell it on to you…

Basically it's a bit like your mate getting a company car and you asking if you can have it, all the time even though its a perk of his/her job…

or as most fairminded people would call it, Taking the piss…

Underhill
    Free Member

anyone know why child seats aren't allowed on cyclescheme?

Because your children should be at school instead of sitting in the corner of the office?

iainc

there was a guy posted up here a while ago about getting caught getting bikes for his kids though the scheme. More employers are now getting stats on what bikes are purchased, general info – size, colour etc. I'd say be very careful, as any loopholes that may exist are closing and talking about them on public forums isn't too smart……

bommer
    Free Member

Underhill – Member

Because your children should be at school instead of sitting in the corner of the office?

But what if you need to drop the kid off at nursery en route?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

"Because your children should be at school instead of sitting in the corner of the office? "

my work has a nursery

druidh
    Free Member

Buy a child seat out of the money you've saved?

Bregante

what cookeaa said

Underhill
    Free Member

Answer #2: Welfare will be onto you for bombing down the local Black Run with a child strapped onto the back

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

Bregante –
    what cookeaa said

ahem, what barney mcgrew said, nudge nudge 😉

Bregante

ahem, what barney mcgrew said, nudge nudge

taking the piss

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

taking the piss? wouldn't dream of it!

now, where did i put that orange brochure?

0091paddy
    Free Member

£100 bike for the son. £900 of 'bits' for the Dad. Sure it's been done.

yunki
    Free Member

has anyone heard about the scheme being dropped by Devon county council?

uplink
    Free Member

Surely the bike belongs to your company whilst under the scheme & if they gave permission for someone else to ride it – it'd be fine

iamsporticus
    Free Member

I agree with:
    The tax evasion angle
    The keep your gob shut in public angle 🙂

My company also has the resident HR cycling expert vetting applications to stop folk buy h bikes for spouse or kids

Happily he doesn't know the difference between a Raleigh mermaid and a heckler LOL

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Its possible but its fraud IIRC

So, everytime I ride MrsPPs C2W Trek to the shops it's fraud is it? Do me a favour! 🙂

Houns

FFS it's threads and comments like this that will get the whole thing closed down.
    HMRC are scrutinising the whole thing IN GREAT DEPTH at the moment. People who take the piss don't understand the complications involved. Part of my job is to weed out and find those who have took advantage and report this to their employers, for some it has meant being hauled in front of their HR, obviously HR departments take fraudlant usage VERY seriosuly.
    We can and we do ask for receipts of transactions to show exactly what you've had. And if we monitor bike forums you can sure as hell believe that HMRC do

johnners
    Free Member

Nobody has mentioned any loopholes yet. Just fraud.

dasnut
    Free Member

so the benefit cheats have now invaded this site. cheers.
    didn't you know that mountain biking was for rich middle class gentlemen?
    all the gear, no idea?

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

PeterPoddy –
    So, everytime I ride MrsPPs C2W Trek to the shops it's fraud is it?

yes and the implication would also be that everytime mrspp uses her c2w trek for anything other than cycling to work would also be fraud.

anyway, the fraud, tax evasion and taking the piss comments are all bollocks. i worked for 22 years on paye, i've worked the last 7 years self employed, i've paid all the taxes my accountant said i had to pay, i've never claimed job seekers allowance, working tax credits, child benefit, child tax credit, incapacity benefit, income support, dissability living allowance, attendence allowancs, carers allow etc, i think you get the picture.

but being self employed i am discriminated against by not being allowed the same incentives as paye employees.

i think i'll phone my accountant, see if i can buy my bike through my business, won't have to pay rrp, get it from anywhere, get the vat back and get it for net (pre tax) and won't have to pay the £60 or so for transfer of ownership in 18 months time!

cynic-al
    Free Member

IIRC the "majority" of the use of the bike has to be for trips to work.

ojom
    Free Member

has to be >50% i.e minimum 50.1% what al says

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

IIRC the "majority" of the use of the bike has to be for trips to work.

but difficult to prove without a mileometer.

lets face it, for people who have never cycled to work, this scheme is a genuine incentive to do so. for all of us on this forum, and all the cyclists not on forums, it's a way of getting your next bike at a discount.

anyway, i've just emailed my accountant.

ziggy
    Free Member

I staggered at what some people think cyclescheme is for. It's designed to get people out of their cars, not to fund your next shiny bike purchase on the cheap.

I get asked often to 'top up' vouchers above the £1k limit, which I refuse to do.

I also know of an employee who may shortly be losing his job as he thought it was a good idea to sell his bike on before the final value fee.

mudshark
    Free Member

I also know of an employee who may shortly be losing his job as he thought it was a good idea to sell his bike on before the final value fee.

How did they find out? My company, like most I'm sure, take little interest in the bike just want the repayments in your payslip.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stu McGroo

and how much tax and NI do you pay? Every self employed person I know pays a far smaller % of their income in tax and NI than PAYE folk.

And then they whinge about it.

So what do you write off against tax? Cars/ enetertainment / lunches/ etc etc Us on PAYE can't do the creative accountancy stuff

chakaping
    Free Member

i think i'll phone my accountant, see if i can buy my bike through my business, won't have to pay rrp, get it from anywhere, get the vat back and get it for net (pre tax) and won't have to pay the £60 or so for transfer of ownership in 18 months time!

Just do this, yes.

If you're self-employed then you probably pay less tax and NI than most people anyway, so don't worry about being discriminated against.

andywarner
    Free Member

I say get what you can out of em. You pay them enough in the first place so there's no harm in clawing a bit back. 😉

rootes1

HMRC are scrutinising the whole thing IN GREAT DEPTH at the moment.

this is very true – c2w could go that same way as computers 4 homes scheme due to all the abuse of the system..

i campaigned for 4 years to get the scheme at my employer – and in my office we gen have people that are new to cycling to work where before they used the bus etc and htye are choosing bikes that are useful for commuting like hybrids, bromptons etc not 6" travel trail bikes!

also on our scheme at the end of the hire period as per hmrc guide we have to pay a fair market rate for the bike or at least 10% to keep the bike.

rootes1

re childseat – that should be allowed as youi are able to get a trailer

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘c2w loopholes?’ is closed to new replies.