Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • C2C Route
  • johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

We are doing the C2C from Whitehaven to Tynemouth this coming weekend on road bikes with slick tyres. I have read on a couple of websites that the stretch leaving Keswick on the old Tramway up to Threlkeld is a bit rough and we would be better on the A66 for a couple of miles. Does anyone have any experience of this part of the C2C and whether we would be ok on the sustrans route on slicks or risk the A66 for the short distance? I have looked on street view and there is a white lined cycle verge on the main road which helps a bit I suppose:/
    Are there any other stretches of the route that may be a bit much for road bikes (planning on missing the signposted off road sections anyway)?

butcher

As long as you stay off the signposted off-road sections you should mostly be OK. I seem to remember the bit coming out of Keswick not being ideal, but quite ride-able all the same.

righog
    Free Member

Done it on road bikes in a day, we took the A66. We also took the Waskerley way from Stanhope ( park head station ) we had quite a few punctures, it may have been better to take the road route.

antigee

road up the A66 ok as said above is quite wide for safe passing – I do recall one of our party got a lovely “cowards pass” (aka punishment pass but I much prefer cowards) after we’d turned appropriately early across the on slip road at Keswick which is a fast junction
    my experience riding with others on “fast” roads is you need to make sure everyone sticks to a plan for dealing with slip lanes – though in this case the driver was just a brainless dick

nre
    Free Member

If you dig out the OS maps for that section, you’ll find there are also some alternatives to the A66 on nice quiet back roads (via Castelrigg Stone Circle) that don’t add a great deal of miles to the trip. Having said that the offroad route on the tramway is very pleasant (I rode the C2C last year on an MTB with Kenda Small Block 8s…)

TomB

Go by road via castlerigg stone circle, burns farm to meet a66 at threlkeld, cross there, through threlkeld avoiding a66, then up to scales on the cycle path pavement alongside the a66. No need to get on the 66 at all, and it’s not a pleasant road.

butcher

Done it on road bikes in a day, we took the A66. We also took the Waskerley way from Stanhope ( park head station ) we had quite a few punctures, it may have been better to take the road route.

It used to be pretty rough up the top, but this has been resurfaced over the winter. Still causes punctures further down though, despite the surface being good.

The road is a much better option anyway. Very fast with a tailwind.

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

Thanks for that, have changed the route to south of the 66 via the stone circles!

Chew
    Free Member

Rode it last weekend. Some rough bits but all doable on a road bike.

Bits to avoid/re-route
    – Gravel track around Rowrah. About a mile which seems a bit pointless
    – Gravel track Kendal to Threlkeld. I’d jump on the A66
    – Gravel track all the way from the climb after Stanhope to the Tyne

Conespanner

Done the C2C over the b’holiday in the rain, Whitehaven to Tynemouth on touring bikes. Thought the Keswick section wasn’t too bad when compared to whinnlater and Stanhope to Newcastle sections which clogged our full length mud guards up. We made a discussion the follow the route exactly.

If I did it agin I would finish in Sunderland as going through Newcastle was frustrating and there was nothing in Tyne mouth to say you’ve finished compare to the big sign at the start saying you are starting. Have fun…

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Those that have done it in a day, what sort of duration are you talking? My century average is 17mph and that’s in hilly Wales so not too dissimilar (?) I was envisaging a 7am start and probably 7-8pm finish? Hopelessly optimistic? Any good food stops to recommend?

minichops
    Free Member

Did Whitehaven to Roker seafront at the weekend on a fixed wheel road bike. Tyres were 28mm Conti Gatorskins. The non road section from Keswick to Threlkeld was fine. The off-road section from Rookhope to Parkhead Cafe was partially rideable. You can drop down to Stanhope from Rookhope and drag yourself up crawleyside bank to avoid this bit though.
    Pushed the first mile or two cos I was way over geared, once at the old engine house at the top it was 99 per cent rideable. Took it steady to look after the tyres though. From Parkhead onward to mackem land was well graded or Tarmac cycle path.

silkman
    Free Member

Hmmm! Johnnywhitesox? An imposter? Good luck on the ride. Let me know how you get on and whether Singletrack world gave you the right advice?

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

Sussed out by Ben. Thanks for all the advice, I will trawl through the replies and fine tune the route with the help of street view and garmin connect.
    Ben, I’ll keep you posted……so far managed to raise over 2 grand for MacMillan so that’s the important thing:)

Toasty

Good work 🙂 Do you have a Just Giving or similar set up?

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

Thanks, yep gratuitous sponsorship advertisement follows
    http://www.justgiving.com/Kocheurope

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘C2C Route’ is closed to new replies.