Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • C2C Rookhope route options
  • SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Doing C2C next week and realistically if we are to do it in a day we need to save as much time as poss. When I recce’d route couple of weeks ago I did the Stanhope option as had booked digs there. The off road route looks shorter but is it quicker? And would we be alright on it with slicks?
    SteveB.

jekkyl

Yes it’s much quicker because if you go the road there is a bastard of a hill up again to join the the route. Do the offroad route whatever tyres it’ll still be quicker than that Hill. Take comfort in the fact that after it’s all downhill, weeeeeeeee!

neninja
    Free Member

I think that the Rookhope Incline route is in parts a permissive route and is sometimes closed on shooting days during the Grouse Season.

It also depends on what bikes you are on. I wouldn’t do the Rookhope Route on a road bike as there are sections towards Parkhead that are quite potholed and which have become more rock covered over the past couple of years. On a hybrid or mountain bike it should be fine and is a lovely bit of trail. Beware the deep puddle with a stream running through it about 1km from Parkhead in a dip – it’s got deeper every year and after heavy rain is perfect for proper comedy moments.

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Thanks guys, we are on mtb’s so it seems like the best option for us.
    neninja, if the routes closed for shooting will it be signed at Rookhope? Would hate to trawl up the hill only to have to turn back.

neninja
    Free Member

Yes, there are signs placed at the bottom of the incline. Once you are up the Rookhope Incline there is an opportunity to miss the rougher section by cutting across to a road here to miss the potholed and potentially wetter section if it’s been raining (although if you are on mountain bikes you will enjoy that bit – could be fun on slicks in the wet)

neninja
    Free Member

There is another alternative route to avoid Crawleyside if Rookhope Incline is closed. It’s on tarmac and steep in places but not as relentless as Crawleyside bank although it’s the same amount of climbing in total and slightly longer. Basically it’s more short sharp climbs followed by downhill spells to get your breath back.

Rookhope Incline is about half the amount of ascent and at least a couple of miles shorter then either of the alternatives so hopefully it will be open. You could probably contact Sustrans as they will have been informed of shooting days I would think.

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Brilliant! Thanks neninja. We are both strong climbers so if we have to go the road route we’ll manage Crawleyside, but if we can save time it might help us find our way to the finish in daylight. Thanks again.

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Well, as it turned out the Rookhope Incline was closed. Slight disappointment but the Stanhope option was ok on the day. Yes, I did hate the climb up Crawleyside but just got on with it in the knowledge that we’d be flying once on the Waskerley way.

We had a great days riding, the following wind was a massive help. Set off at 5.45am. and got to Sunderland 4.30pm. So the worries about daylight were unfounded.
    Steve.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘C2C Rookhope route options’ is closed to new replies.