Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • C2C …………………………query
  • singletracksurfer

planning the route and have couple of questions:

from Wasdale Head is the Langdale Fell way too 'hike a bike' (down as well) – should I go south via Walna Scar road as many seem to do?

also, should I avoid Mosedale (swamp) and go via Longsdale & Borrowdale?

The east side looks ok, but if you have any advice or recommendations that'd be good (especially getting from Tan Hill to Dales Centre and the final leg to the coast). Planning on ending in Robin Hoods Bay.

Thanks.

uplink
    Free Member

especially getting from Tan Hill to Dales Centre

Dead opposite Tan Hill pub in the Pennine Way follow this track all the way to Gunnerside – don't cross the river

Then take take your pick, along the road for a couple of miles or cross the river & climb up on Harkersside moor & take your pick of loads of tracks back down to Grinton

here
    here
    here
    here

singletracksurfer

thanks.

would you say its worth climbing up to descend Harkerside Moor, rather than staying along the river/valley bottom (at the end of the 4th day of cycling) 😳 ?

uplink
    Free Member

3 options really

North side of the river – easy tarmac ride
    South side of the river – landrover/hilly tarmac track – a bit harder
    Fairly tough climb up to Harkerside followed by fast fireroad with a good descent

I'd decide on the day TBH

singletracksurfer

good call. thanks.

willy
    Free Member

wasdalehead section = yes pretty much hike a bike down too… you do mean styhead tarn..angle tarn.. down into langdale? if so then deffo go the walna scar road way its a top notch track! one of my favourite descents in the lakes… buttt it will require another two large uphills (one on road) than the other one..

singletracksurfer

yeah one way is sty head, Angle tarn to Langdale fell which i've heard is a carry (up and down).

other way is more out of the way, south past Eskdale fell, seathwaite, then walna scar to coniston. this is the way you'd recommend yes?

just seen another option that goes north from black sail hut via Scarth gap pass, over Honister then via Rosthwaite over greenup edge and easedale, to Grasmere. Don't know it myself.

uplink
    Free Member

This is the route we took a few years back
    Apart from the climb up Blacksail – I don't remember it being too bad
    although time has a habit of making things seem a bit more rosy than they actually were 🙂

singletracksurfer

yep, thats the way I was thinking of. thanks.

singletracksurfer

any advice about Mosedale?

grahamh
    Free Member

Did the C2C last year.
    Walna Scar road rideable, but forget going
    over Harter Fell, it was a swamp, knee deep in
    places and the bikes had to be carried
    all the way.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘C2C …………………………query’ is closed to new replies.