Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • C2C in three days – with a twist
  • warton
    Free Member

I’m doing the C2C at the end of april with a group of people from work. 3 days, fairly standard route. The thing is i do the C2C in a day every year, and I know although I’ll enjoy doing it over three days, I’m always wanting to push myself.

so, I was thinking of running one of the days – probably the middle day which is the shortest but hilliest day. I can currently run 7 miles @ 8 mins a mile, so given it’s in three months, what training do I need to do to undertake 40 miles over a day? lots of trundles, or more speed based work? can i do it on three runs a week?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Unicycle.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Strength training. Get some weights and squats in, work on core and what nots

jekkyl

Get there first on a bike and get the pints in.
    I love your plan though, ‘you lot are not hardcore enough for me, I’m gonna run it’
    & picturing them enjoying a half time sarnie at top of Hartside and you come running past.

jonba
    Free Member

If they are doing the road one you could dive off an do the offroad bits. There is also an option to make it tougher (certainly through the lakes) by taking diversions and hitting all the big hills.

TomB

Alternatively, could do a route similar to the High Moors Sportive on day 2, adapted for your start and finish points to meet your mates. details here

midlifecrashes

Well if you want to make the C2C harder, let your mates cut across country and you go round the coast to meet them. Decide on the first morning whether to go north or southside depending on wind.

the-muffin-man

Why agree to do it with friends and then go off and do your own thing!?

Just do the ride with them and enjoy the scenery and the ‘bants’*.

(*apologies for use of bants, but it appear those younger types use it quite a lot nowadays!).

jekkyl

Make it harder for yourself somehow. Do it on a kids 20″ wheeled bike or single speed an old 26er?

bensales
    Free Member

Ideally you’d have four months to prep rather than three. This plan is a reasonable basis, as prepping for a flat 50 would be much the same as a hilly 40.

http://www.runnersworld.com/ultramarathons/the-ultimate-ultramarathon-training-plan

I suspect given your question, you’ve not run a marathon or an ultra before? In which case, I’d be surprised if you’re riding your bike the day after.

Good challenge to attempt though.

Oh, and the only training for long distance running, is long distance running.

breadcrumb

Cargo bike carrying everyone’s gear for them.

warton
    Free Member

Thanks all. A couple of points, I’m doing it for work, and charity. It’s a way to raise more money as well. I’ll struggle to raise a penny if all I’m doing is cycling. They’ll be plenty of time for bants on the other two days and evenings.

Pretty much made my mind up I’m doing it now, I’ll check out that training plan above, thanks. And no, this is all new to me, furthest I’ve don’t is great north run.

piemonster

I’d not count your ability to run 7 miles at 8min mile pace as much of an indicator.

I’d be inclined to go for a really long ‘brisk’ walk and see how you get on. Something like the Yorkshire 3 Peaks, it’ll give you a good idea of where you are for being on your feet and on the move for 8 hours and let you know how your currently conditioned to feel the next day.

Take that as a base line, then reevaluate what you need to do from there! Test yourself, then you’ll know what’s needed.

Again, this is just what I’d do. But as it’s not a race I’d forget about speed work. It would all be about taking a beating but keeping moving for me.

bensales
    Free Member

Agree with Piemonster. For 40 miles you’re likely to be out ‘running’ for a minimum of 7 hours if you’re used to running ultras and 11-12 hours if you’re not. I know if I was to do it, with experience of several marathons and one 30 mile race, I’d be looking at 9-10 hours.

It’s a very long day out.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘C2C in three days – with a twist’ is closed to new replies.