Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • C02 and Tubeless
  • slowjo
    Free Member

In the Secret Squirrel club, we are currently debating whether the use of C02 cartridges has a chemical reaction with Stan’s jizz thereby preventing effective sealing of holes. Thorns seem to be ok but when a bigger cut appears (within the quoted parameters) it seems not to work.

Two of us use hand pumps while another of our number uses cartridges to inflate tyres after trail side blow outs. He seems to be the only one who has real issues and more often than not, has to resort to a tube.

I always carry a 100ml bottle of jizz along with me so it is seldom a case of the goo having dried up or him having too little in his tyre.

Is this a common occurrence or is it just him? Evidence seems to suggest C02 is the culprit but might there be some other reason lurking?

andybrad

its known that c02 will prevent stans from working and thus is for emergency only.

frogstomp

Anyone tried the Slime sealant? Claims to be ok for CO2, last for a year and not ‘clump up’ like Stan’s..

slowjo
    Free Member

@andybrad…..not known by us but thanks for the confirmation! :o)

bluebird
    Free Member

I’ve been using Slime Pro for the last 12 months. No problems so far.

tmb467
    Free Member

CO2 for the initial bead seating then let it out, inject sealant and pump up to pressure

means having to bring a syringe along for trail-side repairs tho

prawny

Any know if Nitrogen would have the same effect as co2? With the happy side effect of a trail side giggle sesh if you get bored.

verses

its known that c02 will prevent stans from working and thus is for emergency only.

Is it actually “known” known, or just internet speculation “known”? I always assumed the latter but don’t, erm, “know”…

TheWrongTrousers

Yes, I emailed Stans the other day.
    They replied and said that CO2 is for emergencies only. It will get you home but will cause the fluid to dry out which then needs refreshing.
    Just a case of injecting more jizz, no need to clean out the dry stuff unless you can really be bothered.

Haze

Guidance from Stans when using CO2 was to inflate with the valve at the top when the sealant is pooled in the bottom of the tyre, ie. as far apart as possible.

booktownman
    Free Member

I’ve used co2 to inflate a ghetto tubeless set up with Stan’s. It worked and I did not die.

brassneck

I’ve used co2 to inflate a ghetto tubeless set up with Stan’s. It worked and I did not die.

It works, but the sealant goes off and balls up quicker. So you might be less thorn protected than you’d expect.
    I have proven this to my own satisfaction, Stans comment(above) backs this up so I’d say steer clear.

GHill

prawny – Member
    Any know if Nitrogen would have the same effect as co2? With the happy side effect of a trail side giggle sesh if you get bored.

What, that stuff that makes up ~80% of air? 😉

Nitrous oxide, maybe?

prawny

Dunno, I’m not a Psyantist 😉

Laughing gas, whichever one that is.

enfht
    Free Member

I use monkey spunk in my tyres. Collection was difficult before I gained their trust.

christhetall
    Free Member

Has anyone got any experience of the new Bontrager Sealant. I used to use Superjuice but found it was less effective than Stans, though it did last longer

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘C02 and Tubeless’ is closed to new replies.