Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • C02 and sealant and knackering tubeless tyres?
  • uwe-r
    Free Member

I had to resort to the C02 pump to get me home the other day. This is on my road bike where the tyre has been on for almost a year without any problems – just adding occasional air. It had gone down a long way over Christmas and I thought I’d get away with it on a short ride but it started bubbling out of the side so I resorted to the c02 to re-seal

The C02 got the tyre back up and firm and got me home so great but the next morning it was down again. I had heard of C02 affecting sealant so have removed the tyre to inspect. There is no liquid left with a dried out residue all-round the inside of the carcass and around the bead. It has a consistency of dried out scrambled egg – the sort that sticks to the bottom of a pan!

I have done my best to remove it from the bead but it is still there. I can’t get the tyre close to sealing with my track pump. It went up no probs first time when it originally went on – pre gunk.

Anyone else had this? Is my tyre now a tube only affair?

STATO
    Free Member

CO2 leaks quicker than air, so thats the likely reason your tyre went down overnight. It was obviously dry already if it went down over christmas. If you have junk all over the bead then it will be providing a lovely path around it for air to escape so no wonder you cant get it to seal again, clean it properly, try a scrubbing brush.

gelert
    Free Member

I don’t know about CO2 causing issues but the rest of your post sounds normal. I’ve never used CO2 in my tyres but use tubeless all the time on MTB.

The scrambled egg description is how all Stans sealed tyres look after it’s dried out (anything from 2 to 6 months). Even if it hasn’t dried out and it’s been topped up with sealant after a few months it’ll develop “Stan’s boogas” which roll about inside the tyre.

You should be fine to clean and re-fit the tyre and apply fresh sealant and it’ll re-seal the tyre again after doing the standard disco dance to spread it about.

Unless there’s a bigger hole in the tyre that it can’t seal in which case it’s a tube only tyre now if you’re lucky.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

As above. Your tyre sealant drying out and the CO2 are in related in this instance.

uwe-r
    Free Member

My thinking that the C02 dried it out was because there was visible sealant bubbling on the rim before I gassed it on the ride so I know it had at least some liquid in there the day before. On inspection the following day it was all scrambled egg with not a drop to be seen.

It is up with a tube in for now, ill see how that goes. I love the fit and forget of tubeless as I commute on some rank roads and knowing there is a tube in is always a worry! If I get any pinch flats I will have to get the scrubbing brush out on the bead or just get a new tyre! It is showing the signs of a severe battering after a year of city centre commuting.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘C02 and sealant and knackering tubeless tyres?’ is closed to new replies.