Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Bye bye Peaty
  • matt_outandabout

I have loved watching him over the years, a sense of fun and awesome power and accuracy on track.

He was so great with the kids when we got bags signed at Fort William.

The Spitfire bike is just ace 🙂

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/steve-peats-spitfire-santa-cruz-v10-c-Vallnord-DH-World-Cup-2016.html

AlasdairMc

That’s a sweet bike. Also another person nearly sharing my name, although his art skillz are much better than mine…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes farewell from the UCI WC at least, it’s been a pleasure watching. Bike looks really fabulous.

I suppose the World Championships run had to end too but no room on this list for Peaty ?

Danny Hart
    Greg Williamson
    Brendan Fairclough
    Gee Atherton
    Josh Bryceland
    Laurie Greenland
    Adam Brayton

Edric64
    Free Member

How does arsing about on a push bike compare with getting shot at by krauts whilst flying a Spitfire? One is probably a conscript pilot the other is getting paid to do a hobby?

igm

If the British far right can appropriate the Spitfire as an emblem (ironing anyone?), I think we have bigger problems to worry about than one Mr S Peat.

Let him have his fun.

Edit: sorry it was a Polish Spitfire that Britain First and the BNP used – haven’t decided if that makes it better or worse though. Not sure about UKIP.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How does arsing about on a push bike compare with getting shot at by krauts whilst flying a Spitfire?

It’s a bit of iconic British design, it’s being used well. Personally I don’t really care.
    On the positive side a legend retires, as for world Champs, probably the first in his career where he hasn’t been a solid pick having out performed guys more than 10 years his Junior over the last few years. Hope there is something for him at the end.

ohrats
    Free Member

If the British far right can appropriate the Spitfire as an emblem (ironing anyone?), I think we have bigger problems to worry about than one Mr S Peat.

**** leftie.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

No one has addressed the real issue here. Will Peaty get some kind of media coaching (listen bro Americanisms yeah) to get rid of the monotone Ben Affleck delivery that will hamper his future commentating career?

Maybe it could be outsourced to the BBC skunk works/Top Gear fluffers somewhere in southern Englangshire.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/RrhwbKJ6bOo[/video]

igm

Ohrats – I think I’m the full 5 star, champagne swilling, middle-class leftie really, but come on, a plane most associated with defending Britain from fascists used by neo-fascists as an emblem (and they couldn’t even get a British one)? That’s truly delightfully funny on one level, disappointing on another (we need a better class of neo-fascist) and disturbing on another.

Peaty on the other hand is a British MTB icon (from what is soon to be the independent nation state of Yorkshire – my adopted homeland – ancient Welsh kingdom ripe for reinstating don’t you know*), and associating with another British icon from history in this way is OK in my book.

*may not be 101% historically accurate

wordnumb
    Free Member

Looks to be getting dusty out there.

buckster
    Free Member

What a great looking Bike, love the whole thing, if SC sell them though I would have thought it would be the price of a Spitfire too.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Keep the tedious politics our of this please. Bike looks great. Peaty is a legend. All the best for today.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

if SC sell them though I would have thought it would be the price of a Spitfire too.

The designs are done by someone he knows, mentioned in all the Syndicate Vids where he unveils one. I’m sure you can get anything you want done, I do like the alpine cow one

hora
    Free Member

Confused, what’s wrong with the design. Or connotation?

How the frig dis it get to polish/BF too?!? Only on ST!

hatter

It’s still really strange to think he’s not going to be on the circuit next year.

Grass grows
    Birds sing
    Steve Peat races World Cups

That’s been the case my entire adult life.

Truly the end of an era, what he started Brits were rare plucky underdogs in world level DH, now look at us.

Nobody has done more for that than Peaty

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes 🙂

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I suppose the World Championships run had to end too but no room on this list for Peaty

On current form, sadly not.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and the 3 bikes in all their glory
    http://fatcreations.com/hall-of-fame/

nickc

Probably me, none of them have really “wow’d” me I’m afraid. The Sptifire one’s the best of the three, but none of them are that great.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Bye Bye Peaty and thanks for all the fish ,lots of respect for that Guy and a 16 year old me used to worship the ground he walked on.

Those special edition v10s are terrible though

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and as this is probably the thread for it

P-Jay
    Free Member

Sad to see the old boy go, when he was good, he was great, when he was bad, he was always entertaining.

I’m not sure he cared too much about his ‘legacy’, he just loved to race and carried on until the downsides (injuries, training etc) out-weighed the love of it – but if you were trying to write a screen play with the perfect Hollywood ended, you might have ended it a few seasons ago, back when he was still getting top 10 finished, or top 20 at least. It was a shame Redbull couldn’t find the time to show his final WC run at the weekend.

Looking forward to the next ep of ‘The Syndicate’ I wonder if next year we’ll see Ratboy and Minn with another rider, or it’ll be all-change.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It was a shame Redbull couldn’t find the time to show his final WC run at the weekend.

This a milion times.

jimmy

Looking forward to the next ep of ‘The Syndicate’

Peaty might be to SC what Hans Rey is to GT – great ambassador, hero to most mtbing Brits and beyond, up for adventuring to put SC bikes in cool locations.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Peaty might be to SC what Hans Rey is to GT – great ambassador, hero to most mtbing Brits and beyond, up for adventuring to put SC bikes in cool locations.

Maybe it depends how old you are, but still associate him with Orange!

nedrapier

Or Kona!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Or GT!

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p22bV3BwF9U&time_continue=17&ebc=ANyPxKpRpl4N4432J_jsgYrU_Vi7dRlMwT9GoK-6–mAXYyhonl1iKYcsdiQaFEnC3pa29CcBaqT28HYcmrGcnp9ZY4bLYXirg[/video]

BoardinBob

Yip

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38PFOC6X8Y0[/video]

jamj1974

I love Spitfires! I respect Peatys achievements!

Despite the above that bike looks seriously awful! It’s like someone has had a lot of leftover paint and spare decals from multiple Airfix kits and just thought they would use them up. I thought the paint job on the bike he raced at Fort William was bad – this has proven it could be worse still.

matt_outandabout

[video]http://youtu.be/29HlkcAnMVs[/video]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/AucEaMzyLWA[/video]
    I’m sure he will have some part to play in the Worlds next weekend and a proper send off but this is the last Syndicate for the regular season. There was also a rumour around that Josh was going to hang the bike up.
    I’m guessing it will be at least Luca Shaw in next year.

I remember seeing some pics from the 90’s where a mate was on the same DH start list as Peaty and Warner. For anyone who missed it Won’t Back Down is worth a watch

timb34
    Free Member

Didn’t realise that Hermida was retiring from XCO too. Nice pic of Peaty and Minaar with him (text says that CG was there too) from http://www.pinkbike.com/news/ending-on-a-high-xc-world-cup-finals-andorra.html

Bunnyhop

Bye bye Peaty.

The mooo and Tweed tartan bikes are in Northwest Mountain bikes in Cheadle, if anyone wants a look.

Dark-Side

There was also a rumour around that Josh was going to hang the bike up.

Its mental Ratboy is thinking of retiring, but there must be substance to the rumours. Pinkbike caption a Bryceland picture and reference it, and Claudio mentioned it on the commentary. I’m surprised not more has been made of it TBH.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Its mental Ratboy is thinking of retiring, but there must be substance to the rumours. Pinkbike caption a Bryceland picture and reference it, and Claudio mentioned it on the commentary. I’m surprised not more has been made of it TBH.

Really, I watched all of the race Saturday, I heard Claudio mention changes at the syndicate, I took that to mean Ratboy might be looking for a new team, I don’t believe he’s going to retire at 26 because his mate has retired at 42.

plecostomus
    Free Member

Josh is stopping racing and will be a brand ambassador just making video edits and promo stuff for Santa Cruz.
    Another Romour is Greg retires after worlds.
    Luca shaw on Santa Cruz next year but it won’t be called the syndicate.

Dark-Side

Really, I watched all of the race Saturday, I heard Claudio mention changes at the syndicate, I took that to mean Ratboy might be looking for a new team, I don’t believe he’s going to retire at 26 because his mate has retired at 42.

Quote under pic on Pinkbike: Ratboy don’t go.
    Claudio’s words were “I hope he keeps going” and “we have to convince him to keep going, he can’t quit”

They sound more terminal to me than changing teams.

scandal42
    Free Member

Red Bull should be ashamed.

An absolute **** legend of the sport they protest to be interested in makes his final run before retirement and they don’t bother with it.

I was gutted.

Poor, very poor from a group that should really be more clued up.

Dark-Side

plecostomus – Member
    Josh is stopping racing and will be a brand ambassador just making video edits and promo stuff for Santa Cruz.
    Another Romour is Greg retires after worlds.
    Luca shaw on Santa Cruz next year but it won’t be called the syndicate.

Where did you get this information from Piecostomus? I’d hear the rumours about Luca Shaw but Minaar retiring is news to me!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Bye bye Peaty’ is closed to new replies.