Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Bye Bye Jonny
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Hugely over rated player IMO but a machine when it came to kicking. Will be lauded as one of the greats but in hindsight people will see he was a bit ordinary just like Dawson.

DezB
    Free Member

You must have missed his early career. Defensive genius. One of the best tacklers I’ve ever seen.
    Where’s he going anyway?

wrecker
    Free Member

He divides opinion for sure. I am a massive fan, the word “average” will never be used when we look back at his achievements.
    Put himself on the line to for his team, an utter professional, great role model and jolly nice bloke.
    A lot of young players could learn a lot from jonny, and not just english ones.
    I wish him all the best for the future.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, that too wrecker.

Pigface
    Free Member

Has retired from international rugby.

Defensive genius? Oh yes he spent time doing his flankers job and injuring himself in the process 🙄

Bear
    Free Member

Not sure he could be described as ordinary, a fantastic record over a decent length of time and recovering from several serious injuries should make him ranked as a great player surely?

DezB
    Free Member

International? Ah, about time really.
    Yeah I guess it wasn’t really genius to tackle harder than your body can take!

donsimon
    Free Member

Jonny who?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hugely over rated player IMO

The hugely biased standpoint from which you are posting makes the ridiculousness of that forgiveable.

Pigface
    Free Member

DD 😆 wait till BOD calls it a day 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Never ordinary for sure but never the genius that some England fans lauded him as. Great in defense, great kicker, no more than good enough as an international player at getting this backs going.

A model professional tho. Kept out of the headlines, didn’t criticise his coaches or fellow professionals, trained hard and made the most of is talents – Cipriani are you listening?

His drop goal in the WC final cements his place in history

spudly1979
    Free Member

Not sure how i feel really – on the one hand, gutted. He was a defensive genius – redefined fly-half in defensive terms. And for the record his injuries only really began after that shocking late tackle in the 63-3 drubbing of S.A. His open play wasn’t awesome compared to others, say Hodgson, Lamb, but his kicking skills were amazing and he’ll forever be remembered for THAT drop goal.

On the other hand – he was poor at the world cup (as was virtually all the England team, i know) and his influence was on the wane. This opens the door for new(er) talent – Flood, Farrell, (maybe even Lamb if he learns to tackle)

transapp
    Free Member

He’ll be missed by England and I can’t think of a single team that enjoyed facing him. In the last few years, his talent in an England shirt began to wane, but I can’t think of another flyhalf except for Carter who comes close in his total abilities. A good 10 years watching the man play.

Bear
    Free Member

I think that is a good way of thinking about how good he was by how much he influenced games he played. Englands win percentage is high with him in the team. He did most things very well and a lot of thing outstandingly. he wasn’t really bad in any area (except maybe interviews and I can’t think that he would have been very good in the boat race team) so I think that he should go down as a great.

avdave2

but in hindsight people will see he was a bit ordinary

OP I think you’ll always have him beaten in that department. 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

OP I think you’ll always have him beaten in that department.

Oh how I 😆 ed

DD wait till BOD calls it a day

Can’t be too far away now can it? And there’ll be the usual revisionary detracting boreshitters to be all post-modern and say how ordinary he was and that Sheepwankers Ex-Miner Boyos Thirds’ centre would have walked into his position.

And TeeJ…have a word with yerself will ya?

Never ordinary for sure but never the genius that some England fans lauded him as.

To be fair…”genius” isn’t a word I ever associate with rugby that much. BO’D was once asked who the best player he’d played against (possibly in the 6N – and it was a few years back when Johnny was at his best) – guess who he said.

iDave
    Free Member

BO’D was once asked who the best player he’d played against (possibly in the 6N – and it was a few years back when Johnny was at his best) – guess who he said.

Pigface?

themountaingoat
    Free Member

BO’D was once asked who the best player he’d played against

Tana Umaga ?

aracer
    Free Member

Not the greatest surprise – he’d have been struggling even to find a place on the bench by the next WC.

As for how good he was, well at his best in 2003 he was the best in the world. Clearly he never had the all-round game which players like Carter do, but very, very good at what he did. We’d not have won the WC without him.

Pigface
    Free Member

avdave 😆 good answer but remind me who are you 😉

DD bit touchy tonight are we 😕 actually I think BOD is a genius but it would of been cruel to bring Ronan O Punchbag/O Headless Chicken into this 😛

Not me i Dave purely armchair bullshitter these days 8)

spudly1979
    Free Member

BO’D was once asked who the best player he’d played against

Tana Umaga ?

really, really, really wrong. But i can’t stop chuckling.

deadly – genius can definitely be used with rugby, but it means different things for different positions IMO- as a flanker McCaw is a genius, but in a very different way to say, Barry John.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Lol @ the answers to “guess who he said” 😆

I’m not touchy piggie. If you’re going to go and spout bollocks, don’t be calling me touchy when I point it out to you. 😉

Pigface
    Free Member

Touchy touchy touchy 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😛

bikebouy
    Free Member

Long may the man retire in Hackett.

Truely focused, truely driven, truely mastered his abilities.

Enjoy retirement, you shall be missed.

Bear
    Free Member

Would like to see JW play with the Kiwi pack and that back line then compare to Carter, likewise see how Carter would play with the service provided by England. Really difficult to know how good each would be, Kiwi’s at height of powers this world cup and won without Carter or any of their other choices for fly half, would England in their heyday have won without Wilkinson?

I know a lot of people do not like him or his style of play and at times it was not pretty but it fitted the system, his influence on the team was huge and in this day and age his dedication is to be applauded.

surfer
    Free Member

An inspirational player and model professional, sad not see him in the 6n but as others have said he would struggle to get selected.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

DD – if you think at any point in his career he was the best at getting the back line moving you are deluded old chap. He never was but he suited the gameplan of the 2003 WC winners. He never had a fantastic running nor passing game – but didn’t need to playing in the way that team did.

If you listen to English fans you would think he was the best that ever played. Well he wasn’t.

I am not the only one to see this.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Can’t deny he didn’t play to his strengths though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Absolutely so bikebouy. He made the most of his talents, a model professional and great at defence and kicking. Better than any scottish fly half of the era as well

ourmaninthenorth

The words that have stood out for me so far in this thread are:

“professional”

“percentage”

“system”

No wonder English rugby is so boring….

(He was a great player, without doubt. Just remember that he peaked aged 24 in the 2003 WC. It was always going to be downhill from there – and the look in his eyes at the time tells me he knew it)

ourmaninthenorth

If you listen to English fans you would think he was the best that ever played. Well he wasn’t.

This one was pretty handy (my school coach, John Horton). But he wasn’t as good as Wilkinson.

wrecker
    Free Member

Better than any scottish fly half as well

FTFY

Stuey01
    Free Member

How utterly depressingly predictable that this would be posted by some miserable sod knocking the man. That chip on your shoulder is enormous.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

you are deluded

While deluded would be delighted with this, I think you’ll find he’s a sneaky bizzie in the South West. 🙂

hilldodger
    Free Member

The fly-half, 32, has called time on a career that spanned 14 years, 91 caps and an English record of 1,246 points.
    Wilkinson’s record for his country includes six tries, 162 conversions, 239 penalties and a record 36 drop-goals

The stats of a mediocre player just playing system rugby 🙄

Personally I prefer the opinion of people who’ve real experience of sport at a high level, rather than the keyboard scrummagers who “could have made it if they’d tried”

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16146371.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16151943.stm

TimP
    Free Member

Also IRB Player of the Year in 2003 which I am sure TJ will tell us was because of everyone else around him.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hilldodger – 6 tries.

It says it all that he is remembered for a drop goal.

Gareth Edwards – 20 tries in 53 matches

Gregor Townsend 17 tries in 82 appearances for example.

to be a great you have to be great at every aspect of the game. ( not that I am saying townsend is a great as he was badly flawed.

Frankers
    Free Member

Sad that he’s retired as he was a great player but obviously the time has come as it does for all professional players

Interested to see who’s selected for 6N as Flood is definately not on form at the moment

aracer
    Free Member

6 tries.

How many assists? Last time I checked, actually scoring tries wasn’t one of the principle jobs of a fly-half – not if you’re playing in a team with decent support around you. Arguably scoring lots of tries from that position suggests either the rest of the team isn’t working that well or you’re playing mediocre opposition.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Bye Bye Jonny’ is closed to new replies.