Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Bye Bye Hans Dampfs! What next?
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

So I have been riding HDs since Christmas I guess the only thing I liked about them was that they rolled much better than previous chunky monkey front and rear combo. Rode the chase on Saturday, it was dryer than it has been in months and I was shocked at how little grip and confidence they gave me they seemed to be far worse than in the wet. So I’m going back to CM at the front but I want something faster rolling at the back than a CM.

So I’m considering Smorgasbord, XR4, XR3, Purgatory Control, Mountain King.

So I would like some views on these options what I’m looking for is a tyre that rolls fairly well, has nice corner grip and works at low pressures.

wallop

That’s a shame – HDs are the grippiest I’ve ever used.

I did an uplift day at a very wet, rocky and slimy Cwmcarn last year and they were faultless.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’ve also found HDs amazing pretty much all year ’round…

All those tyres you suggested are good, go eeny-meeny-miney-mo and pick one, because it’s a new tyre that smells nice the placebo effect will take care of the extra grip. Personally I like the Purg on the rear at the mo.

oldejeans
    Free Member

I’ll do you a favour and take your HD’s

honourablegeorge

Doesn’t sound like a Hans Dampf to me. What version are you using?

skellnonch
    Free Member

+1 awesome tyres

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m a Chase regular and love my HD’s. I use them all year round because I’m too lazy to swap tyres and reckon they work well in all but the grottiest conditions. They’ve been to the Peaks and Wales plenty too.

They wear well too.

I think the High Rollers on the hardtail offer a bit more cornering bite though (but I’m in the minority who really like High Rollers).

ndthornton
    Free Member

????????
    Im currently thinking of ditching mine as they grip too well (i.e. slow rolling)

Thats the only thing I can say is wrong with em

mcnultycop

I love my HDs, better than anything I’ve used before and grip like anything (as above, too much, if anything!)

Northwind

Never a fan, good grip and rolling in decent conditions but they clog too much for what they are, they’ve got no edges on normal rims (ps, seems to be no coincidence that the people going mad for super-wide rims are mostly putting schwalbes on them, which I reckon benefit from the reshape). Not too happy with the wear rate either

I might suggest a Butcher/Purg combo- Purgatory doesn’t have the grip on hard stuff that the HD does so not really a fan on the front, can be a wee bit washy. And 2 Butchers is pretty dang slow. But one at each end works for just about anything, not at all fast but worth it imo for the treadoffs.

OK, different tyre, but a scenario for you…

I used High Roller 2’s Dual Ply for the first time at BPW – first couple of runs I wondered what the fuss was about – I was squirming and washing out all over the place.

Let 5psi out and they were by far the grippiest tyre I’ve ever used

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What psi are you running the HDs at? I can only imagine you have too much in there, as mines stick like shit to a blanket.

edward2000
    Free Member

Wait for the new Magic Marys if you insist on changing! There is a pretty convincing review on pinkbike.

chiefgrooveguru

My latest combination of awesomeness is Magic Mary 2.35 up front, Trail King (aka Rubber Queen) 2.2 out back. Butcher 2.3 up front is good too though not quite as grippy as the Magic Mary. TK out back keeps things rolling fast enough for me whilst having lots of braking/driving grip, plenty of edge grip but not as much as the MM and very progressive behaviour at the limit. MM is pretty amazing.

Northwind

Do want to try those Marys.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

They do seem to provoke a polar response. I’m another in the ‘these things are hideous’ camp.

The big Maxxis alternatives (Minion DHF’s, DHR2, HR2’s etc) all grip significantly better IMO. I thought I was going a bit mental when I tried them, so I lent them out to my riding friends who all hated them too. Very odd.

rOcKeTdOg

When you say the Chase do u mean the dog/monkey or off piste, I find on the armored stuff nothing is perfect, those polished rocks can be lethal even in the dry, for everywhere else & natural stuff HD’s are pretty grippy

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i’d echo RD above, its actually quite slippy in the dry especially on the pebble type stuff, i think its probably a tad grippier when wet/damp dare i say it

that said once it dries out theres no need to have such a massive tyre on like a HD for cannock, way way overkill

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Anyway, how much posted for these? 😀

fr0sty125
    Free Member

On my Chunky Monkey I ran 10 front 15 rear with the HD I ran a bit under 20 at the rear and a bit under 15 at the front.

To be fair I do find them ok at the back it is just the front inspires no confidence at all.. Evo Trailstar Front a Performance at the rear..

Really felt like I was under-steering like a shopping trolley on Saturday.

Milkie
    Free Member

HD’s are great, but you have to run really low pressures. 22f/26r (psi).

julians
    Free Member

Hds are great, really good all rounder. but like any single ply tyres if i run them much below 30psi ill rip a hole in them or dent a rim, on anything fast and rocky. Thats with tubeless too.

gogg
    Free Member

I love my Mountain Kings.

stu1972
    Free Member

A mate of mine swore by Hans dampfs but has recently moved to Conti Rubber Queen UST BC’s and prefers them over the Schwalbes.

I run the RQ’s as well and like them, I’ve a pair of UST mountain kings as well but tbh keep the RQ’s on all year round now.

Run mine at 18F 24R. Mate runs his at 24F 28R

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ive used both and thought the RQ’s pissed all over the HD in every department

RQ’s roll faster, seem way grippier and even in 2.2 are massive, last a real long time too, i sold mine almost a year old as a pair for £50 quid!

really good tyres, easily the best all round tyre out there the UST 2.2 rubber queen (or now known as trail king in uk at last)

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

the only reason i went to spesh’s is they are a fair chunk lighter and cheaper, current purg/butcher control was fine at cannock saturday

although i could have easily run a set of captain controls on saturday at cannock (and will be doing once it properly dries up ala spring)

almightydutch
    Free Member

The only manufacturer who can get Cannock Chase right is Maxxis IMO

Every other one struggles with baby head rocks up there.

I run a 2.35 DHF Front and 2.1 Medusa rear. Works for me!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Haha! Brilliant. Have a vision of all these tyre designers walking round the UK’s premier dogging spot, scratching their collective heads, dumbfounded by the epicness of the place and realising that tyre design for such a trail is nigh on Impossible….

rOcKeTdOg

Well Hora can’t ride it so it must be awumz

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Awumz?

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I have a High Roller 2 on the rear atm and I want to cry.

Payday Friday, Hans Dampf non-evo compound fitted by Monday morning I hope.

I’m never “trying something new” ever again.

Change, huh!

mboy
    Free Member

When you say the Chase do u mean the dog/monkey or off piste, I find on the armored stuff nothing is perfect, those polished rocks can be lethal even in the dry, for everywhere else & natural stuff HD’s are pretty grippy

Couldn’t agree more. Was at Cannock yesterday riding it for the first time in months, it’s like riding on polished marble at the moment! Very sketchy indeed.

zelak999
    Free Member

Pleased with the new HR2 2.3’s, good grip in the wet/slop.
    Roll well.

rOcKeTdOg

Awumz?

Awesome Horafied

mactheknife

Those of you that find the HD draggy, are u running the pacestar version on the rear because i have never found they dragged much considering what they are designed for. Trailstar on the front is pretty much my ideal mountain tyre. Although i am running a Chunky Monkey at the moment as they were going for not very much and had amazing reviews. So far so good. 🙂

stevede
    Free Member

My current combo is a bc conti baron 2.3 up front and a 60a maxxis beaver exo 2.25 on the rear, job done. Wanted the magic mary up front but they weren’t (and still aren’t) available when I needed one and I got my baron for a bargain price (can’t justify them normally as the sidewalls don’t last me but I managed to get a pair for £30 off a conti sponsored rider who’s moved up to 650b).

matther01
    Free Member

HDs seem to run a bit better when you’ve worn them down a bit IMO. Good tyres in the dry and not too thick mud. Prefer Purgs front and rear in real gloop…but definitely prefer RQs in slightly wet to dry conditions esoecially around CYB.

Still to find something for an all rounder round Cannock/Brocton on and off piste.

mtbrog
    Free Member

I have to say that I have ridden Cannock with numerous tyre combinations, none are invincible! Tyre pressure more than anything else seems to improve grip on the slippery bits, rode Cannock this Sunday for the first time on a HD Front, initially with pressure around 28psi, dropped it too 25psi and it improved considerably.

IMO there are no tyres that will be foolproof on the Cannock pebbles!

typer
    Free Member

I’ve got HD trail star upfront with a pace star rear and I find them very grippy in most situations although they are absolutely terrible in thick mud, don’t shed the muck at all. Moved over from Conti Barons which were just as grippy but more draggy.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Conti rubber queen 2.2 in black chilli tubeless casings run at 30psi front and 35 rear at Cannock on all the trails are fine ( 19 stone weight all up before anyone suggests going below 30psi). The stones on the armoured surface are something you learn to ride/surf!
    I have tried maxis minnions SP but found side walls to shallow and was constantly holing them or the bead areas were giving way. They too gripped on the armoured trails but off piste clogged up too fast and wouldn’t clear.
    I guess people tend to fall into the Schwalbe, maxis or Continental club on tyres. For me I have to admit although I have tried others contis have always been my favourites.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Bye Bye Hans Dampfs! What next?’ is closed to new replies.