Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Bye bye Brechfa
  • higgo
    Free Member

11.39. No questionnaire responses from mountain biking groups

Nipper99
    Free Member

ps rest of the info in on the RWE web site including plans – another little area of peace and tranquility lost.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Mountain Bike Trails
    11.49. Approximately 1.2km of the Gorlech mountain bike trail (approximately 6% of the overall length), which is suitable for intermediate mountain bikers, will be used as access tracks for the proposed development and there are two points within the site boundary where sections of new access track will crossthe mountain bike trail. Because of the nature of the trail (i.e.
    one-way system), it may be necessary for the trail to be closed at times during the construction period. As such there is the potential for temporary impacts on users of this trail during the construction of the wind farm. This is considered to be of moderate adverse significance. The other mountain bike trails are a sufficient distance from the proposed development that they will not experience any adverse impacts.

wrecker
    Free Member

No questionnaire responses from mountain biking groups were received

It wasn’t so long ago, BC were trying to convince us that they were there to represent us. Yeh, right. 🙄
    We really need an advocacy group, BC isn’t up to the task.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Have seen how these things pan out elsewhere probably find half the Gorlech trail closed without notice. It appears that what is being said is that the green and the blue trail are a substitute for any impact on the red, Gorlech trail.

I cycle at Brechfa every week and it is a great place for peace quiet which is going to be lost.

Northwind

Reading the report, I don’t see where it becomes “bye bye brechfa”? Temporary (and probably fairly long-term) closure but not destruction, and since they’re talking about access only I’m assuming that it’s fire-road sections. Some talk of including diversions too.

Nipper99
    Free Member

bye bye in terms of another area being ruined by these white elephants.

danjthomas
    Free Member

From what i just read its only a small part of the Gorlech. At Afan, the energy company are going to build a whopper of a trail in return for them putting up some turbines. I think that’s a great deal. They can stick one in my garden if they decorate my house for me.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Believe it when you see it at afan. It was supposed to be in place prior to construction of the wind farm but i believe the developer has managed to find a way out of that.

beefheart
    Free Member

Also bye bye in terms of the deforestation and development ruining the ‘feel’ of the place.

danjthomas
    Free Member

Or maybe the Afan trail is in already its just used by JCB racing

teenrat

Unfortunately, it seems that this how it is from now on. The same elements that make a good trail centre are also attractive for windfarm developers. Afan, Nant y Arian ( with more proposed for the area north of Nant y Moch), and now Brechfa will all have windfarms close by. Are they all bad though? Some temporary disruption, and after that, will the turbines really make a difference to your enjoyment of Brechfa? most sections of the trails are within the trees so i’m guessing the long term eye sore impact will be pretty low.

bigdean

When this happening? Have booked a cottage near there in the summer.

teenrat

Planning was only passed today, so recon you’ll be ok for the summer

Northwind

FC have stated there’ll be no clearfelling to accomodate the turbines- felling is to be kept to a minimum using existing cleared areas. Whether that actually happens or not is another question o’course but the area marked out for the East development does enclose a big chunk of unforested land.

Nipper99
    Free Member

yes, they really will make a difference to my enjoyment of Brechfa but hey ho. It would be interesting to find out who the mtb consultee was.

teenrat

Nipper, if you ever fancy a blast round there give me a shout. I’m in pembs.

lister

So, we lose 6% of the Gorlech trail in exchange for some wind turbines?
    And the other trails won’t be affected?

So we get wind energy and lose less than 2km of red trail?

And this is bad why?

Seems cracking to me. Better than the **** awful gas power station that they’ve just built to heat up Milford Haven near me, ignoring several environmental impact assessments.

nicksee
    Free Member

After looking at this map it looks likely to have an impact on the first climb, wooded singletrack and descent section

snaps
    Free Member

Nothing against the windfarms but with most of these trail closures, a small amount of work to take the trail by a different route would largely keep it fully useable to MTBers – I wonder how many people read these threads & decide to go elsewhere for a ride.

Cheezpleez

I doubt that this is the end for Brechfa, or anything like it. what annoys me is that none of us were aware of it. Any half-serious consultation would have made it to STW and Bikeradar. They clearly got away without a proper attempt to seek views from MTBers. How did that happen and how do we stop it happening again?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

From what I know (not speculation, like many on here), the majority of the Gorlech trail will be closed because although the trail itself will only be slightly affected, vehicle access will close the route as it is because of safety issues.

A diversion will be set up, but this will dramatically reduce the distance, meaning it won’t be a very worthwhile ride. I believe new sections will be rebuilt following the work, but no details have been released about this.

The Green, Blue and Black trails will not be affected as far as I am aware.
    Brechfa Bike Club were made aware of the wind farm and as a group we had spoken to RWE about alternative diversions to improve the quality of a temporary route and also suggested building a new trail first so that it could stay open and still be worth riding.

chrispo
    Free Member

My understanding was that the turbines at Brechfa East where the Gorlech trail is haven’t been approved yet, only the turbines in Brechfa West where there are no official MTB trails???

If the Gorlech does end up temporarily closed/shortened it would be a pain, but it’s not like we aren’t spoilt with loads of other good riding locally!

rusty90
    Free Member

My understanding was that the turbines at Brechfa East where the Gorlech trail is haven’t been approved yet, only the turbines in Brechfa West where there are no official MTB trails

Yes. Brechfa Forest West was approved by the IPC yesterday. Brechfa Forest East, which includes the Gorlech trail, is under 50MW so is being considered by Carmarthenshire Council, no date for the decision known yet.

The site area for Brechfa Forest East covers a large part of the Gorlech trail, and construction work is stated as being “likely to be completed over 19 months”, so including the felling that will take place prior to construction the Gorlech trail will be considerably foreshortened for a period of about 2 years.
    A map of the site area is included at the end of the summary document from RWE

globalti
    Free Member

Isn’t this like moaning that someone has changed the wallpaper down at the local gym?

Why not just buy an OS map and get out into the countryside for some mountain biking in real mountains?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

From what I know (not speculation, like many on here), the majority of the Gorlech trail will be closed because although the trail itself will only be slightly affected, vehicle access will close the route as it is because of safety issues.

A diversion will be set up, but this will dramatically reduce the distance, meaning it won’t be a very worthwhile ride. I believe new sections will be rebuilt following the work, but no details have been released about this.

The Green, Blue and Black trails will not be affected as far as I am aware.
    Brechfa Bike Club were made aware of the wind farm and as a group we had spoken to RWE about alternative diversions to improve the quality of a temporary route and also suggested building a new trail first so that it could stay open and still be worth riding.

So its not the end of the World then is it.

Its a temporary inconvenience at best, at the worst theres a wind-farm there now. Hardly a big deal…

So, we lose 6% of the Gorlech trail in exchange for some wind turbines?
    And the other trails won’t be affected?

So we get wind energy and lose less than 2km of red trail?

And this is bad why?

Seems cracking to me. Better than the **** awful gas power station that they’ve just built to heat up Milford Haven near me, ignoring several environmental impact assessments.

Exactly.

niloC
    Free Member

Brechfa Bike Club did speak to RWE and directed us to the FC Wales, an alternative route for the Red Gorlech trail was put forward but was rejected by the FCW as they didn’t want a legacy! we also spoke to Carmarthenshire CC! RWE left it to the FCW and took on board their plan for the trail!

To be fair RWE only accepted what the FCW put to them! I wont tell you what the local FC manager want’s to do to the trails on a public forum! but has anyone wondered why Brechfa isn’t part of Cognation?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I wont tell you what the local FC manager want’s to do to the trails on a public forum!

In all fairness said disclosure can only be in MTB interests surely.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

So its not the end of the World then is it.

Its a temporary inconvenience at best, at the worst theres a wind-farm there now. Hardly a big deal…

I think the major issue is that it will have a direct effect on businesses, especially those in Abergorlech near the Gorlech trail. There are many places that were started to take advantage of the amount of Mountain Bikers coming to the area.

Alternative suggestions have been made that would have kept the trail at a good standard during the work, but these have been largely ignored. It is not a case of “not in our back yard”, more a case of why reasonable suggestions have been flatly ignored.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I think the major issue is that it will have a direct effect on businesses, especially those in Abergorlech near the Gorlech trail. There are many places that were started to take advantage of the amount of Mountain Bikers coming to the area.

Alternative suggestions have been made that would have kept the trail at a good standard during the work, but these have been largely ignored. It is not a case of “not in our back yard”, more a case of why reasonable suggestions have been flatly ignored.

Yep, Ill agree with that.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

+1

niloC
    Free Member

The East development will affect a large part of the Gorlech trail, only the last 2 sections of singletrack will be left in place, the rest will be in the construction zone and out of bounds, but the East development hasn’t been approved yet! so no start date.

We weren’t against the development, only tried to secure the best for the Trails and failed miserably! But at least we tried!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

IMBA UK

Did they know anything about it?

munrobiker
    Free Member

I know what I’d prefer.

a) 1.2km of trail for grown ups to play at bicycles on.

or

b) a source of power that is environmentally friendly, reduces our dependence on fossil fuels and will go some way toward cleaning up the mess that the baby boomer generation has made for my generation to live in.

Yes, it would definitely be 1.2km of trail 🙄

IdleJon

munrobiker – Member

I know what I’d prefer.

a) 1.2km of trail for grown ups to play at bicycles on.

or

b) a source of power that is environmentally friendly, reduces our dependence on fossil fuels and will go some way toward cleaning up the mess that the baby boomer generation has made for my generation to live in.

Yes, it would definitely be 1.2km of trail

From the hilltop (at 200m) five minutes ride from my house I’ll soon be able to see ‘environmentally friendly’ windfarms on every single piece of high ground surrounding this city.

munrobiker
    Free Member

There’s loads around where I live. Would you rather look at this, the smoke of which can be seen across entire counties?

Since you live in a city, what view exactly are they spoiling?

IdleJon

Since you live in a city, what view exactly are they spoiling?

I have typed about six responses to this, but deleted them all in favour of –

What a stupid comment! 🙄

You do understand that when you go to high ground you can see along way, don’t you?

(And the windfarms I’ve referred to AREN’T a long way away.)

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Reading the report, I don’t see where it becomes “bye bye brechfa”? Temporary (and probably fairly long-term) closure but not destruction, and since they’re talking about access only I’m assuming that it’s fire-road sections. Some talk of including diversions too.

This.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Bye bye Brechfa’ is closed to new replies.