Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Bxllxcks to Apple and thier over priced MacBookPro "portable computers"
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

well it turns out that its perfactly reasonable for £2000.00 worth of MacbookPro to go tits up after just over two years of use and the options I've been offered are:

a) pay about £700.00 for a new logic board

or

b) accept a maximum of 10% discount on a new Mac

or

c) whistle and FO whilst I'm doing it

all of these options are of course beautifully suggested to me by some trendy young jobsian yoof or genius or store manager or such like, along with the obligatory "oh but if you'd payed an extra £400.00 for applecare when you bought the laptop we'd have repaied it for free" SO WHY NOT JUST INCLUDE THE **** PRODUCT SUPPORT AS PART OF THE BLOODY STANDARD PRICE, GIVE IT ALL A 3 YEAR WARRANTY AS STANDARD, oh of course, I know why, BECAUSE THE **** THINGS ARE 100% OVERPRICED IN THE FIRST PLACE!! so because I didn't opt to donate an additional £400.00 to the church of St Jobs at my point of purchase I'm instead automatically enrolled on the APPLEDON'TFXCKINGCARE(tm) programme! BASTARDS!!

anyone care to suggest a cheap yet powerful laptop, or perhaps I should go with the old idea of fat PC in the loft as a server then a cheep ass netbook for sofa based browsing?

right I'm off to hunt down St Jobs and return my knackered macbookpro via the unoffical channel, right up to the elbow, I'm gonna get "it shouldn't happen to a vet" on his ass!

tails
    Free Member
    epicyclo

I think that should come under the "not fit for the purpose"

Fair enough a moving part wearing out, but a circuit is plain bad.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    uplink
    Free Member

Yeah – I'd pursue it a bit more

at the end of the day – if they still wont play consider the smalls claims court
    It only costs you a few quid & they have to come to your local county court

Jamie
    Free Member

What exactly has gone wrong with it? Some problems that may be known issues may have specific extended warranties on.

Also, is applecare £400? Blimey.

the-muffin-man

1 / 10

Isn't this a bit like buying a Merc then moaning they're expensive on parts!

If you want cheap computing go to PC world and buy a £300 laptop and chuck it after 2 years (or buy your Apple kit from John Lewis).

peteimpreza

The extended warranty is £279 currently.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Yeah but I bet you've not treated it properly; kept it plugged in all the time, knackered the battery, let it get too hot from poor positioning, knocked it about, etc. I mean. look at the state of your bike.

Don't buy another Apple Mac. Simples. Buy a £300 PC World special; when it goes, throw it away and not worry too much.

Applecare £400? I paid £60 for it for a £2700 Mac Pro! Stewdent discount, my friend… 😉

If you were to conduct a proper study, you'd find that Apple computers fail no more than any other brand, and probably a lot less than others. Overpriced? 'Course they are, in the same way a niche Ti US built bike is.

Mind you, I've got 2 iMacs that are 10 years old. Still going fine. Perhaps I've got your share of Karma. If you didn't ride such a stupid bike, and be such a rude word, then maybe you'd do better… 😀

X

molgrips
    Free Member

Apple in rip-off shocker. Even more so now when you consider they're the same inside as Windows laptops.

kept it plugged in all the time, knackered the battery,

That doesn't knacker the battery..

Kevevs
    Free Member

have you not tried an iPhone?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Even more so now when you consider they're the same inside as Windows laptops.

No they're not. They're much better built than yer average PC lappy. Anything close in quality costs about the same really. Still a rip off mind. Apples generally tend to last longer than other brands however, and probably offer better value for money over time.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Should have bought a Mac.

molgrips
    Free Member

Better built? So they use a higher grade of Intel CPU do they?

The only thing that differs between laptops is the quality of the screen, the mobo chipset, the OS, the pre-installed crap and the physical quality of the case, keyboard etc.

How do you define a 'quality' laptop?

Pauly

My MacBook is infinitely better than the PC laptops I've had from various manufacturers, both in terms of build quality and usability.

Sorry you had a bad experience OP.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

They replaced my logic board for free. Older machine than yours. Why are they charging you?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Macs are better, because I use them.

It's quite simple.

LeeW

Talkemada – Member
    Macs are better, because I use them.

I'm quite simple.

Edited for you.

Talkemada
    Free Member

😆

It's not entirely untrue!

M6TTF
    Free Member

Just sold my g4 dual 867 MDD – 7 years old and never had to replace anything. Reinstall anything, remove any malware. Worked first time every time. Brilliant machine.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I now hate apple, they can sod off, and I'm not going to buy a 4g iphone now, sod it. bet that'll hurt st. Jobs.

oh and the moonie nature of all the kids in the apple shop was disgusting, all starry eyed to be selling shiny tat. oh humanity!

so what non-apple laptop/netbook has the best screen?

Talkemada
    Free Member

So you were in London yet you failed to inform me?

You deserve a Dell.

And why are you doing TV ads for IKEA?

MrNutt
    Free Member

don't worry, as you know I would never consider visiting our hallowed capital without aforewarning my cultural attache! as for the dell? no fear, I'm thinking sony viao

Talkemada
    Free Member

Sony did a carbon Vaio. My friend was going to buy one, then she decided she didn't like the colour.

Apple shop in Porkville now?

So, what's with the IKEA ads? 😯

Can I have your broken Apple lappy then please?

MrNutt
    Free Member

are red laptops best for photography? and ikea, wha?

perhaps I should get a panasonic toughbook, add some "all mountain sauce" to my internet usage?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Can I have your broken one then please?

MrNutt
    Free Member

maybe, but first I'm agonna take it to bits and see if I can fix it 🙂

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Isn't this a bit like buying a Merc then moaning they're expensive on parts

You get a three year warrantly with a Merc

spacemonkey

I'm thinking sony viao

Having spent several years selling IT into the NHS I can categorically say I would avoid Sony at all costs – great machines when they're working, but shocking customer service when they're not. Others will probably say the opposite, but IMO they're up there with Dell in terms of obnoxious w4nkerdom.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Good rant.

Made me laugh whilst sitting on the sh!t house.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Please don't read stuff on the bog. It's not healthy. 🙁

samuri
    Free Member

Having spent several years selling IT into the NHS I can categorically say I would avoid Sony at all costs

I would recommend IBM to anyone looking for reliability and endurance. For example, the T30 that's sat on my desk right now must be ten years old and still working great.

But yeah, I enjoyed the rant and then lots of people standing up for Apple. Always good for a laugh.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

MrNutt, what's wrong with it?

grumm
    Free Member

Did you buy it on a credit card? Some offer you some pretty fancy purchase protection. Definitely worth looking into.

BTW I have had good experience with Apple customer care – but I did have Applecare (free from the higher education store, now about £50 I think).

mboy
    Free Member

I would recommend IBM to anyone looking for reliability and endurance.

LOL, you are having a f**king laugh right? I've got an 8 week old Lenovo (IBM) laptop for work, the same as a few other people I work with… EVERY SINGLE ONE of them has had various issues, failing to work properly at all, generally being nothing more than a cheap, nasty looking paperweight. If you want reliability and backup service, buy yourself a Dell! Seriously…

I love my Mac, though some of the shine has started to wear off for me given the period I've had it now. OK, so if I'd bought a PC laptop 3.5 years ago, it'd be virtually useless now whereas my MBP is still pretty good, but I do take exception to the battery dying completely within about a week of the warranty running out (coincidence or just fate?), and I get increasingly annoyed at the price of any half decent software for a Mac still, bearing in mind that more and more these days you can get a decent free alternative for anything on a PC which you can't necessarily with a Mac. When I bought my Mac, much of the software I wanted to use you'd have had to pay for on a PC too, but these days there are way more free alternatives on a PC.

Still, at 3.5 years old all I've done is maxed the RAM out (which only cost me about £45 anyway) and fitted a bigger HD, and it's still about 90% as good/quick as a new MBP in terms of performance, and it doesn't have an annoying shiny screen or the new clicky trackpad! It's also had a LOT of use, and is still worth a fair chunk of what I paid for it new if I wanted to sell it now… Doesn't stop me from thinking I may be better off changing it for a new Mac Mini to use for anything productive, and a cheap netbook for just browsing sat in front of the TV…

epicsteve
    Free Member

You get a three year warrantly with a Merc

And you'll almost certainly need it.

allthepies
    Free Member

>I've got an 8 week old Lenovo (IBM) laptop for work, the same as a few other people I work with… EVERY SINGLE ONE of them has had various issues, failing to work properly at all,

Odd! I work in an environment where everyone has a Lenovo laptop and I'm not aware of a big failure rate, infact I've not heard of anyone having issues with them. Mine is great 🙂

Flaperon

Mine has not been the most reliable of things but ultimately they've been tiny niggles (ie, caps lock LED stopped working).

All covered under 3 year warranty, £60 using stoodent discount. Go back and argue some more, sale of goods act is on your side here.

ULTIMATELY, stand just outside the shop with the broken computer and show it to everyone who comes in and tell them your story. I doubt you'll dare to do it (you seem pretty apathetic about the whole thing tbh) but it's virtually guaranteed to work. Note: if the shop is in a mall, this might cause problems with security but the last thing Apple want new customers to see is an old one being dragged away by goons.

Talkemada
    Free Member

MrNutt, what's wrong with it?

Clogged with filth, probably.

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

you shoulda bought the 3 year warranty on mac for £97, anything goes wrong they will have the comp collected fixed and returned within a week, and if it is a seriuos issue they will provide you with a new version of your purchase and re install all your data and programmes….

GEDA
    Free Member

What are you lot doing that means a cheap 350 quid job will not do the job? I am à developer and could not be bothered which operating system i use or computer as long as it works. Except of course if you are à hard core gamer of movie producer.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Bxllxcks to Apple and thier over priced MacBookPro "portable computers"’ is closed to new replies.