Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 263 total)
  • B&W photography on film, who else enjoys it?
  • GrahamS

Did this thread go off topic or what?

Hang on…

GrahamS

That any better? 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Precisely, the classic riding shots are low shot, wide angle, with a shallow depth of field to blur the background. there are plenty of 24mm primes around to do this on film/full frame, and some quite versatile zooms too, but the 18mm lens you need to do this on a crop sensor will be way bigger/more expensive.

you mean there’s one shot ?? So once that’s been done we can all give up and take up knitting ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

bugbump

GrahamS

you mean there’s one shot ?? So once that’s been done we can all give up and take up knitting ?

grantway
    Free Member

What is the cost for a B&W Darkroom set up with a medium format lens

molgrips
    Free Member

Barnes. FFS!

He said ‘the classic shot’ meaning that it is a commonly taken shot. Look at magazines, he’s right.

No normal person would take that sentence to mean that there is only one way to shoot bikes.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

No normal person would take that sentence to mean that there is only one way to shoot bikes.

I was making fun of it 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

But it was perfectly reasonable.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

But it was perfectly reasonable.

all the more reason 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Can somebody ban Barnes please?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Can somebody ban Barnes please?

and what of freedom of speech ? To me the idea of a “classic” shot demanding a certain camera setup and positioning is an anathema, the opposite of invention and spontaneity

GrahamS

i.e. Simon doesn’t have a wide angle lens – ergo wide angle shots are boring and just sticking to the rules. Only shots that can be taken on auto, in burst mode, without composition, on an 18-200 lens truly break the rules and have any artistic merit 🙄

Hairychested
    Free Member

Graham, nice shot!

molgrips
    Free Member

To me the idea of a “classic” shot demanding a certain camera setup and positioning is an anathema, the opposite of invention and spontaneity

You are totally missing the point.

The existence of a ‘classic’ shot does NOT in any way constitute a demand for anything. Classic just means common and well known but still good. It does not mean something to aim for or something that should be valued above other things.

GrahamS

Graham, nice shot!

Not sure if you mean the photo, or the (cheap) shot at Simon. But I’ll take either as a compliment – cheers! 🙂

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’m scared of this thread now.

Well , once you have a shot that features you subject prominently, any undesirable backgrounds are blurred out and you don’t have any gurning or suspect looking riding going on, you have your shot. And you can get on with riding.

b17
    Free Member

You know what, I agree with Simon. Obviously he’s enjoying making a snappy discussion out of it, but his basic point is true.

Just about all the talk of ‘creativity’ on this thread is about what gear and settings you need to recreate other people’s ‘creativity’.

An old camera might be fun, but IMO digital gives you much more chance to experiment since you can try all the angles and options without running out of film and you can review the effect immediately.

GrahamS

Just about all the talk of ‘creativity’ on this thread is about what gear and settings you need to recreate other people’s ‘creativity’.

Understanding some rules about composition is not about copying other people, it is about trying to understand why a picture ‘works’.

Strong diagonal, negative space, tension and converging sight lines. What unoriginal derivative nonsense eh? 🙄

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Simon doesn’t have a wide angle lens – ergo wide angle shots are boring and just sticking to the rules. Only shots that can be taken on auto, in burst mode, without composition, on an 18-200 lens truly break the rules and have any artistic merit

a weak rejoinder Graham, as I never said any of those things and have specifically disclaimed any artistic ability – it’s the idea of following a prescription for a shot I object to!

Understanding some rules about composition is not about copying other people, it is about trying to understand why a picture ‘works’.

that’s fine if you want guidelines to follow, but I can’t work that way

Strong diagonal, negative space, tension and converging sight lines. What unoriginal derivative nonsense eh?

first of all, you have no idea if Michaelangelo used any of those ideas as he painted, and his comformance, whether intentional or merely speculation may be incidental to the power of the work. I don’t know what negative space or tension even mean.

MushetPhoto
    Free Member

As a new member of the forum, I’ve only just come across this thread (and many of it’s laughable replies.)

I’m surprised nobody has started the argument about AF lenses making things too easy for shooting! 🙄

Seriously though, I picked up a Canon A1 a year or so back to have a play with film but have never gotten round to sorting out my own lab and can only find not-so-cheap labs to send away for developing – does anyone else use post labs?

The closest thing I have is Silver Efex plugin in Aperture, which isn’t all that bad…

molgrips
    Free Member

but IMO digital gives you much more chance to experiment since you can try all the angles and options without running out of film and you can review the effect immediately

Agreed.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

you have your shot. And you can get on with riding.

some of us have more insatiable appetites :o)

GrahamS

that’s fine if you want guidelines to follow, but I can’t work that way

But you “have specifically disclaimed any artistic ability” so perhaps at least considering why a composition works might go some way to improving your own.

As I said, I’m not very artistic. I’ve an engineer’s mind and I just don’t have a good compositional eye.

But instead of just shrugging and defensively claiming that anyone who takes good, interesting, compositionally strong pictures is somehow cheating, I am trying to improve my own pictures by doing some reading and trying to apply some ideas.

I’m currently reading:

The Photographer’s Eye by Michael Freeman

first of all, you have no idea if Michaelangelo used any of those ideas as he painted, and his comformance, whether intentional or merely speculation may be incidental to the power of the work.

Well I don’t know much about Art history but as I understand it, a lot of the Renaissance art was about discovering these compositional techniques (golden ratios, linear perspective, light and shadow).

So I’m fairly sure Michaelangelo would be aware of them, whether it was through conscious discussion or just unconscious influence of the prevailing artistic styles.

I don’t know what negative space or tension even mean.

Maybe you should find out before dismissing them?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Right – I’m going to wrest control of this thread away from SFB’s smug, self-satisfied bullshit by spamming the thread with B&W photographs.

Any objections before I start?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

No? OK here goes..

Apologies for the fact that all of these are digital images processed through Photoshop & Silver Efex Pro, but feel free to comment or make suggestions for improvement to composition, technique. I don’t claim to be a great photographer but I am eager to improve.

Destitution Road by stuartie_c, on Flickr

stuartie_c
    Free Member

caig1 by stuartie_c, on Flickr

GrahamS

Any objections before I start?

Please do!

Can you also tell us what camera/lens you took ’em on, aperture etc if you happen to know it?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

72/365 by stuartie_c, on Flickr

stuartie_c
    Free Member

forgetmenots2 by stuartie_c, on Flickr

GrahamS

Sexy! Quite dark, but I suspect that is as much due to this crappy work monitor as anything else.

Have you had any printed?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Graham,

All the EXIF data can be found by clicking on the photos. This will show the camera used in the top right and if you click on that, you’ll see the stats.

Cameras are either a Ricoh GX100 or a Sony a300, with one or two being on a Panasonic bridge camera (can’t remember model). Sony lenses are either a SAM 18-55 or a Sigma 50mm EX-DG macro for the closeups.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

The Buachaille by stuartie_c, on Flickr

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I don’t print many Graham which is down to laziness more than anything.

A lot of them have a dark, low-key feel which is something I’ve noticed when I see them together. I like black skies and white clouds (red filter effect).

stuartie_c
    Free Member

45/365 by stuartie_c, on Flickr

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Laggan 28 by stuartie_c, on Flickr

beanum

Yay! Thread back on track.

Pentax ME Super, Ilford FP4 film

stuartie_c
    Free Member

night_sky by stuartie_c, on Flickr

stuartie_c
    Free Member
    stuartie_c
    Free Member

Ireland 10 by stuartie_c, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 263 total)

The topic ‘B&W photography on film, who else enjoys it?’ is closed to new replies.