Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • B&W A5 problems – I need help!
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mrs PP bought me a B&W A5 for Christmas. I couldn’t get it to connect to my network, so had it replaced. The new one is exactly the same, This is what happens:

I go to the setup app (iMac, iPhone, all the same) and get as far as confirming settings, then it fails
    This happens once only
    Then I simply can’t see the A5 under the list of networks to connect to. Sometimes it pops up, but as soon as I try and connect I get ‘cannot connect to this network’ or if I do connect, it wipes my wifi network out (seemingly) and I get no further.
    Yes, I’ve pressed the reset button so many times it’s untrue.
    I’ve been through this online support, but it makes little sense to me when it starts talking about DCHP an PPPoP or whatever.

FYI, I’m on a Virgin Superhub as a modem, wired into a new Airport Express to create the wireless network, and a second (older) AE extending it. All my kit is entirely Apple and it all works perfectly, I never have to touch it.
    Airplay works fine from the base AE into my HiFi.

Any help would be appreciated
    🙂

M6TTF
    Free Member

no idea, but i wish my wife was a flush as yours!

robdob
    Free Member

You need to find where the problem lies (yes I know that’s obvious but hear me out). Remove everything except the basics – I assume you just need the B+W unit, the Virgin Wi-fi router and one source (phone, like we did at my house?). See if that works. If it does then add other components on one by one and see what it’s not compatible with. Try adding the Mac next, if that works all together then try the AE’s.

robdob
    Free Member

Or just put a CD in it. 😉

wolly
    Free Member

iPhone app works well, I have an a5 connected to an AirPort Extreme (wireless) works fine, what router is giving the ip addresses?

sandwicheater

I’m not even sure what it is but it’s not a black and white A5 paper issue so i’m out.

Oh no hold on, have you tried turning it of & then on again?

richmars

I’d try turning off any wifi security like WPA.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Not familiar with your setup but dhcp would need to be enabled on Ae and the A5
    If I where to hazard a guess I would say the A5 is not being assigned an ip address. Is dhcp enabled?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If it’s making little sense to you then I’d suggest a seniors IT skills evening class. It real does sound like you’ve thrown yourself in at the deepend with this, might be best to leanr the basics first. If you’re still struggling, your nextdoor neighbours son will probably be able to sort your problem within five minutes.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’d try turning off any wifi security like WPA.

Dunno what WPA is. How do I do that?

If it’s making little sense to you then I’d suggest a seniors IT skills evening class.

Give over! It should just work. I don’t have time for that anyway.

It real does sound like you’ve thrown yourself in at the deepend with this,

No, I haven’t. I should be able to plug it in, start the app and it should take a couple of minutes at most. If I wanted shit I had to faff around with constantly I’d go back to a PC. for £400 I expect better. All my other apple stuff gives me very little grief and I can sort it easily if it does.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Right. Worked the WPA thing out, turned it off and it’s wiped out my entire network. So thanks for that. Now I’ve got to reset my AE and redo all the settings.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

No, I haven’t. I should be able to plug it in, start the app and it should take a couple of minutes at most. If I wanted shit I had to faff around with constantly I’d go back to a PC. for £400 I expect better. All my other apple stuff gives me very little grief and I can sort it easily if it does.

Not to worry, I struggle as well. I can’t get to grips with the wireless part really. My computer is telling me it’s “connected” yet I cant see any physical connection. Often it’s “disconnected”. I never know when to trust it. I wish we could just plug/unplug things as we always used to.

robdob
    Free Member

It worked ok at my house without all the fancy iMac and AE weirdness.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Is dhcp enabled on the a5 if it isn’t then it won’t be getting an ip address of the router. Is the A5 connecting to the router

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You could try moving the B&W closer to your router. Perhaps it hasnt got a long enough wireless wire?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The problem is that I can’t see the A5 in the list of networks like I should be able to.

richmars

Don’t know why turning off WPA would ‘wipe out’ your network. It may stop other devices connecting, but turning it back will make things work.
    I guess if you’re not going to try things, don’t ask.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Not sure whether this helps. Is your router next to your stove? I know it’s been stormy recently, lightning sometimes interferes with the wireless wires. Can your other devices still connect to the cloud?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

David. That makes not the slightest difference. I’ve tried it with them all I the same room

Like I said it seems the A5 isn’t putting a signal out.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

David, everything else is perfect. No problems at all….. Until I turned that DCHP thing off just now!

I’ll keep saying it though: I can’t see the A5 in the list like I should be able to.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

All in the same room, but equidistant from the cenre? Looking at this photo, everything appears to be equally spaced

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Don’t know why turning off WPA would ‘wipe out’ your network. It may stop other devices connecting, but turning it back will make things work.
    I guess if you’re not going to try things, don’t ask.

I did try, didn’t i? Don’t try and be clever.
    I don’t know why it would wipe it out either but it did. And the only way to turn it back in when my computer can’t see the router is to reset the router to factory settings and reset the network.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh. I see that we’ve reached the “I can’t answer the question so I’ll just make jokes” stage

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Have you managed to put WPA back on now?

dirtydog
    Free Member

Is the a5 connecting to the router? Look in the router config pages you should be able to see a list of connected devices, is it there?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yes, type in your routers IP address and hit enter.

What options do you have to configure the A5?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

So, when you look at the admin pages via a browser on your Virgin Media Wireless Router, do you see the B&W on that?

Could it be that the B&W is connecting wirelessly to the VM router and not the Aiport?

johnners
    Free Member

Well, I’ve just had a look on the B and W website to find out what an A5 was, and saw this paragraph –

Getting a new A5 up and running in your home couldn’t be easier. With the free Bowers and Wilkins AirPlay App, it’s a breeze to set up and manage. The app will walk you through the simple steps to connect your A5 to Wi-Fi, and choose and manage your settings, all wirelessly. Because we’re sure you’d rather be listening to great music than messing about with cables or flicking through manuals.

Are you quite sure it’s not working, because having read that I can’t believe you can possibly be having any problems.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Is the a5 connecting to the router? Look in the router config pages you should be able to see a list of connected devices, is it there?

No. As I’ve already said a few times…. 🙂
    It doesn’t seem to be putting out a signal.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So, when you look at the admin pages via a browser on your Virgin Media Wireless Router, do you see the B&W on that?

I can’t do that because, as I’ve already said, it’s not being used as a router, just a modem. I’d have to unplug it, carry it to the computer an physically connect it with a cable to turn it’s wifi back on.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Have you managed to put WPA back on now?

Yes.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Gotta go out now. Laters….

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I can’t do that because, as I’ve already said, it’s not being used as a router, just a modem. I’d have to unplug it, carry it to the computer an physically connect it with a cable to turn it’s wifi back on.

I know it shouldn’t be, but it’s a sensible thing to check – just in case something odd has happened.

Also, try downloading a WiFi analyser app or use the OS tools (see http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/31/wi-fi-scanner-mac-os-x-mountain-lion/) to see what’s really ‘out there’ in the world of WiFi

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Hope you get it sorted Peter. I had a look on the internet for answers for you, and apart from those helpful pictures above, I found this thread http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/H9847VC/A/bowers-wilkins-a5-airplay-wireless-music-system

Sounds like youre not alone with the connection issues,.

apj
    Free Member

A bit of RTFM suggests that the A5 doesn’t work by having its own wireless network, but rather joins your existing network. I would try connecting via an ethernet cable for the initial setup as described in the manual, then posting back what happens (blue light etc).

DHCP is (simplifying a bit) how the internal IP addresses for all the kit on your network get doled out. Think if them like internal phone extension numbers. This is usually handled by one piece of kit, either the router or a wireless access point. As you have three potential handlers, (Virgin hub even though it has its wireless turned off, plus 2 x AE) there may be conflicts. These can be tricky to sort out even for someone who is comfortable with dealing with them. I would turn off the extending AE, make sure that only one of the main AE and Virgin box are acting as a DHCP server, and see if that works.

Apple’s “just works” reputation is a bit of a myth really: like PC/Android stuff it “just works” until it doesn’t, and is then unhelpful in helping you figure out the problem. If your view is that you can’t / don’t want to work out what’s going on, and frankly that sort of thing isn’t for everyone, probably worth getting someone in to look at how you’ve got it all set up.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

A bit of RTFM suggests that the A5 doesn’t work by having its own wireless network, but rather joins your existing network. I would try connecting via an ethernet cable for the initial setup as described in the manual, then posting back what happens

Correct, but it has a ‘setup network’ that you join like a normal network, to, err, set it up. Then it joins your network

I did indeed plug it in at one point, and got the solid purple light I was after, but I couldn’t see it as an Airplay device so unless I’m missing something there (Quite possible, but there were no more instructions on the B&W help menu after that) that didn’t work either….

messiah
    Free Member

I have two. They didn’t like it when I had an extended network and seem to try to connect to the wrong part of it and get confused. If you can try setting it up on the main network with the extending AE turned off.

Mine are now faultless on a single network which covers the whole house with my powerful Asus Dark Knight router.

ChrisA
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of zepplin airs. Once worked perfectly, the other needed a firmware update until it flashed up yellow then purple flashing. It was a while ago but I had the b&w app downloaded & plugged it into my laptop I think to do it

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I have two. They didn’t like it when I had an extended network and seem to try to connect to the wrong part of it and get confused. If you can try setting it up on the main network with the extending AE turned off.

Yep. Tried it.
    The problem is that I can’t even initiate that set up process any more, as, like I’ve already said a few times (phhhhh) the A5 isn’t showing up on the list of available networks and the apps can’t find it at all because of this. It’s like it doesn’t even exist.

wolly
    Free Member

Can you set it up wired and then change the settings?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘B&W A5 problems – I need help!’ is closed to new replies.