Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Buying/taking stuff from the tip?
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

I’m after wood planks/ Pallets for raised beds,
    What’s the crack with taking wood from the local recycling tip?
    Can they sell stuff on or will it be a point blank refusal?!

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

If it’s anything like our local tip the staff have first dibs on anything that has any value whatsoever, they’re literally looking in your can when you pull up to see what you’re chucking away. I should think timber is desirable for firewood. Just ask them.

nickjb
    Free Member

Ours has a strict no take policy. There is a pile of good stuff that the staff have put to one side.

righog
    Free Member

We can not remove anything from the tips near me.

Have a look around industrial areas for old pallets, many companies throw them out and are quite happy to let you take them. I would very strongly recommend asking first.

craigxxl
    Free Member

It’s theft but as stated above doesn’t stop the staff from helping their selves.

scud
    Free Member

I got a load of scaffolding planks for raised beds for 90p a foot found them searching on Gumtree.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Try asking at a retailer who has stuff delivered on pallets.

We accumulate pallets through the year and will happily give the white (unpainted) ones away to anyone who asks. Just never take a blue one – they cost money!

Some where like a garden centre would be a good start…

woody2000

As above – find a local scaffolder, they’ll be happy to sell you some of their old boards. Scaff boards are ideal for raised beds, I made half a dozen beds with them when I had an allotment.

nickjb
    Free Member

Have you got a wood recycling project nearby. Ours is pretty good. Is this far?

East Midlands Wood Recycling

wrightyson
    Free Member

Everything I take to the tip recieves some hammer treatment prior, as at our local place they will have the tools out of your van if you’re not careful. However turn up with something like three bags of rubble, no chance mate you’re only allowed two or some bollox like that.

tacopowell
    Free Member

nickjb – Member
    Have you got a wood recycling project nearby. Ours is pretty good. Is this far?
    http://www.eastmidlandswoodrecycling.org.uk

Yes, 30 min drive, winning!
    Thanks!

There is some industrial estates I’ll try before parting with my money.

spacemonkey

Back in the day you could take whatever you wanted from the local tip. My older brother made my third bike (I was about 7/8 yrs old IIRC) using a frame he nicked from the tip. Ah, those were the days.

alaric

Where are you, Tacopowell?

We actually have trouble disposing of all the scrap pallet wood from my workplace in Kent. Because we get a lot of stuff on custom sized pallets it all ends up going to a local to be burnt!

If you’re near enough you can have as much pallet wood as you like!

tacopowell
    Free Member

Where are you, Tacopowell?

Excellent offer! Many thanks!

Unfortunately I’m in Nottingham.

Will ask around industrial estates.

jfletch
    Free Member

Everything I take to the tip recieves some hammer treatment prior, as at our local place they will have the tools out of your van if you’re not careful. However turn up with something like three bags of rubble, no chance mate you’re only allowed two or some bollox like that.

Same at ours, anything that looks a bit tempting and they will be hovering at the boot of your car and will help you carry things to the skip. Big bag of garden waste and you are on your own though.

xiphon
    Free Member

The rule is, once the ‘item’ has entered the skip, it can’t be removed.

Between your car boot and the skip, the staff are free to ‘put aside’ whatever they like.

Hell, if it’s being “recycled” rather than buried, I’m all for it!

Certainly the rule here in Lancs.

jfletch
    Free Member

The rule is, once the ‘item’ has entered the skip, it can’t be removed

This rule is certainly broken at our tip. Often see the staff scavenging out of the skips.

I wouldn’t have an issue with it (I’ve chucked the stuff afterall so it’s got no value to me) other than it gets in the way of them actually running the tip and the lazy sods are always on strike about some sort of gross injustice.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Went to a large package factory 2 minutes walk from front door, Asked, Masses of Pallets available,
    Harder work than a few Scaffold boards but at least they’re free!

One very happy gardener!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Buying/taking stuff from the tip?’ is closed to new replies.