Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Buying your own speed bumps and fitting them on a public road…?
  • big_n_daft
    Free Member

(Modern) roads are put in to allow the passage of traffic, not to give unsupervised kids somewhere to play.

some people disagree

http://www.ecoplan.org/children/general/tranter.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13325891

I’m one of them

if necessary design the streets as cul-de-sacs to ensure there is a safe envirnoment for kids to be out in

defending rat runs through residential streets is just trolling

antigee

Not condoning speeders, but roads are for cars, parks are for kids to play in.

roads are for people, not just people in big strong, fast metal boxes that kill people that aren’t

roads would be a nice way for kids to get to parks to play in – maybe by bike or walking without having adults to drive them there

totalshell

time to get the bombers out

poly
    Free Member

There’s a street near me which has “acquired” a portable roadworks sign and modified it so it says “children playing” with an appropriate image. They put it out when the kids are out and bring it in the rest of the time. No real legal significance but seems to work a bit.

As others have said chicanes would probably be more effective, and potentially easier to implement with the cooperation of neighbours. Parked cars, some traffic cones, a small trailer, a pallet sized bag of sand etc could all make good “obstructions” which would potentially slow down traffic but take the council a long time to wake up to.

There is bound to be one guy though who doesn’t want traffic calming (and possibly several if you go for bumps) and who will complain to the council. Every street had one of them!

I have no issue with kids “playing” on the street – mine ride their bikes, or go between neighbours houses and we have no pavements here as that’s how “modern housing estates” are designed. It is a dead end though!

Cougar

I take the point that roads are for cars but I grew up playing on my street (less cars around mind).

Different strokes, I guess. I grew up on a side road with the fear of hell fire instilled into me that if I even thought about crossing the road I was a dead man. I remember, I had a mate on the other side of the street, we used to sit and chat across the road because neither of us were allowed across it.

So forget the kids issue, what about excessive speed generally. I’ll say it again, A CAR WENT THROUGH A GARDEN WALL DUE TO TRAVELLING TO FAST ON A V SMALL ROAD

Fair enough.

don’t pass comment on someone you don’t know please,

This is the Internet, wild baseless judgements from a point of ignorance are practically mandatory I’m afraid.

…or judge my parenting skills.

You allow your kids to play in the roads where there’s speeding traffic, and said kids are so ill-equipped with basic road sense that you feel that their safety is so at risk that you need to seek external advice on what to do about it.

I’m not judging anyone for anything, just demonstrating how the situation appears given what little information you’ve provided so far. I’m sure that this is unfair and there’s more to it than that.

Still can’t help thinking that if I were in your situation though, I’d be teaching my kids how to cross the road safely and taking them to a park to play.

defending rat runs through residential streets is just trolling

If I were trolling, I’d be asking if the supermarket was there before he moved in.

rockhopper70

Sorry Cougar, you are so far off the mark with your views on me it’s untrue….back to the topic please if anyone has has any constructive comments.
    Just a reminder, slowing down eratic drivers on a small, narrow residential road…just in case it’s not clear.

emanuel
    Free Member

dunno if someone’s said this,but why not put two electrical cables on the road.like speed sensors have.about 60cm apart I think.
    cheapest option probl.

children playing sign is good too.

dmjb4
    Free Member

Can you not just agree with your neighbours to park on both sides of the road or alternated in some way that would narrow the lanes or make chicanes?

Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Buying your own speed bumps and fitting them on a public road…?’ is closed to new replies.