Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • Buying your own speed bumps and fitting them on a public road…?
  • rockhopper70

The shop was originally your little corner shop in a size premises. They then knocked through to the next door and recently sainsbury took over so it’s only a small place that has grown over time and the saimsburys backing has made it v popular.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yeah, they knocked down paradise and put up a parking lot

rockhopper70

🙄

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rockhopper70

🙄

big_n_daft
    Free Member

you can DIY if you do it properly and discretely but it will get ripped out eventually (deny everything) and it’s definitely not legal

stick a fake Gatso up, it’s been done legally before now

there will be neighbourhood policing meetings so turn up there with anyone else on the street who cares

buy a share in Sainsbury’s turn up at the AGM and ask an awkward question, also write to chairman and chief exec (send video clips)

and your only hope……move

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stealth road works / no entry signs etc. Just do it in the middle of the night

andyh2
    Free Member

We used to live on small quiet country that attracted more than its fair share of racers. I used to fantasize about setting up a hologram set off by cars going over a certain speed. Could keep changing the vision to keep it fresh…. tree falling across road one day, herd of cows wandering out another, maybe some fluorescent aliens at night etc…

Moved to the end of a cul-de-sac now and kids play at our end of the street all the time. Still be nice to add a 10mph limit and a bit of traffic calming.

dyna-ti

Occasionally fire off the flash on your digital camera.Very effective in the evening 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What you need to do, in the dead of night, ‘accidentally’ drop a load of concrete stuff onto the road, in the shape of a speed-hump. By morning it will have set rock-hard. Chances are the local council will do bugger all about it if they’re anything like my local one. It’s a right sod to remove, and will cost loads, as that patch of road will need to be stripped and re-tarmacced. That process alone, even if it were to take place, will put the road out of action for several weeks or even months, going by Conscientious British Workers™ standards.

There’s a patch of concrete on the roundabout junction with Grove Road and Old Ford Road, London E3. I saw the mixer truck which dropped it. That was over ten years ago, maybe fifteen, and it’s still there.

ChrisE
    Free Member

This is what happens when Tesco/Asda/Sainsburys etc develop. You need to campaign at the planning application stage which is obviously too late now. Let this be a warning to others who dont bother getting involved in the planning process.

Now you’re best bet is probably demonstrate, leaflet etc right outside the store and make yourself a pain to the company. Let them know you’re telling everyone they are blighting the area. They will jump in the light of the publicity,

C

TooTall
    Free Member

Have you spoken to the right people in the council? They must have a road safety team somewhere.

Any ideas here?

http://www2.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/

johnners
    Free Member

Google “Community Speed Watch” for some DIY camera action.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Buy up every single house in the road, then it’s only you who will need to access the road. Then apply to turn the road into a private road and take on all the maintenance. Then put some big F’off gates at the end. ….and some Claymores. …..and some snipers.

Trekster

Humps have been proven not to work on a street next to mine(residential area) The humps being on a bus route were badly damaged by the snow ploughs clearing clearing the route earlier in the year. The road had to be relaid and the residents campaigned to not have the humps replaced(did not want them in first instance) Speed checks before and after have proved traffic is slower now than when the humps were in place due to people speeding up between the humps ❗ Traffic noise is also less for the same reason. Other measures are being considered simply because of the number of kids in the area that have to cross the road to get to school. Does`nt matter what they do in the evenings or weekends 💡

Murray

Buy an old banger and park it badly. More effective than a speed hump.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Is it only you that’s affected, or do you neighbours feel the same way – if the latter, then what you want to do is get together and start making yourselves a pain in the ass to anyone who has the power to effect change. Don’t waste your time debating with people who aren’t decision makers. Generally speaking, decision makers in councils, corporations etc, don’t like situations like this dragging on, and will send an order to the relevant people to get it sorted.

Over the years, I’ve found the trick is to present the problem, and whatever viable solutions you can come up with – start off being reasonable, and don’t play dirty (papers etc) until you’ve exhausted the rational route.

Of course, if that fails, then you may have to do a little “wet work” 🙂

yossarian
    Free Member

Just scatter some carpet tacks and broekn glass across the road. It works a treat.

pjt201
    Free Member

You want to do something like this really DIY Streets– talk to your councillor about it to see if the council can fund it. As above the highways team will not be the slightest bit interested if there’s no pressure from the councillors – who do you think sets their budgets?

xiphon
    Free Member

It could be *your* kids face next time. Oh wait…

Grimy
    Free Member

It’s a road, not a playground. Let them destroy your own garden instead of all the neighbors cars with their bikes and footballs. You could even turn killroy off and take them to the local park if your grass is worth more than their saftey. The problem isn’t road traffic, its lazy parenting.

aracer
    Free Member

The problem isn’t road traffic, its lazy parenting.

Car is king. Why on earth should drivers be slightly inconvenienced to make the road safer?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Your local councillors will be more helpful – this is exactly the kind of local issue they like to slap over their re-election flyers.

Otherwise, I remember something about a group of residents on one Bristol street being used as a throughfare, who clubbed together and started parking diagonally continental-style and put huge square flower tubs in the road, to make it narrower and chicaney. The non-standard look of the street dissuaded people from using it and dropped speeds dramatically. The council ripped it all out eventually, but it did force them to do something for the residents.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Just don’t get the speedbumps sited outside your house (find a grumpy neighbour…). I remember the joys of cars slowing, kerrlump over speedpad, car revving away at the girlfriends old house in the dead of night…

DezB
    Free Member

Surprised no-one has suggested getting yourself (or maybe a small child) killed by a speeding car. The council usually acts following such events. Would be for the whole street’s benefit after all.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Talk to your neighbours and get everyone to park their cars out on the street on alternate sides of the road so anyone coming down it has to do so by weaving between them. After a while people will probably work out that it is quicker not to come down the road.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Ooh… just had a flashback to reading Viz Top Tips

rockhopper70

It’s a road, not a playground. Let them destroy your own garden instead of all the neighbors cars with their bikes and footballs. You could even turn killroy off and take them to the local park if your grass is worth more than their saftey. The problem isn’t road traffic, its lazy parenting.

that’s useful…
    so wanting it to be safe for kids to play on a quiet street without speeding motorist is bad parenting is it…
    and no, they wont play football near cars.
    did you read this through, what about the car that went through the garden wall….this OK in your world too?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Hire Julian Beever to paint some street art?

http://sunseven.hubpages.com/hub/Incredible_Beever

footflaps

There are speed humps outside my house and they make no difference to car speed but make a huge racket as suspension hits the limits / dustbin lorries crash over them. Over-rated in my opinion. Van drivers (not owner / drivers) are the worst – just hit them at full pelt and someone else pays for the new shocks….

Cougar

that’s useful…

It’s also correct. (Modern) roads are put in to allow the passage of traffic, not to give unsupervised kids somewhere to play. How about teaching road sense / taking responsibility?

hora
    Free Member

Why not apply for the road to be cropped/a dead end? If someone put speedbumps on my road I’d get upset. Awful insidious things.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Move house?

molgrips
    Free Member

(Modern) roads are put in to allow the passage of traffic, not to give unsupervised kids somewhere to play.

Not convinced by that actually. Many modern roads are dead ends specifically to make it safer for kids. If it’s being used as a turn-around then that’s not right.

belugabob
    Free Member

Kid’s playing on the road?

I think that Darwin was right.

Not condoning speeders, but roads are for cars, parks are for kids to play in.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just fit your own – nighttime – get it all prepped and fit it. claim ignorance and stupidity if caught

rockhopper70

I take the point that roads are for cars but I grew up playing on my street (less cars around mind).
    So forget the kids issue, what about excessive speed generally. I’ll say it again, A CAR WENT THROUGH A GARDEN WALL DUE TO TRAVELLING TO FAST ON A V SMALL ROAD

[/quote]Cougar – Member

that’s useful…

It’s also correct. (Modern) roads are put in to allow the passage of traffic, not to give unsupervised kids somewhere to play. How about teaching road sense / taking responsibility?

don’t pass comment on someone you don’t know please, or judge my parenting skills.

aracer
    Free Member

claim ignorance and stupidity if caught

Yeah, because that’s always a legitimate defence.

Oh, and my kids play on the road all the time. Nice little cul-de-sac nobody does more than 10mph down.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

aracer – Member

“claim ignorance and stupidity if caught”

Yeah, because that’s always a legitimate defence.

Works for me usually

molgrips
    Free Member

roads are for cars, parks are for kids to play in.

Is there a park outside your house?

rockhopper70

no….
    …and I wish I had not mentioned the crime of wanting to keep the street safe for my kids so that some deek doesn’t wipe them out speeding if they happen to be neglected and go on to the pavement….

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Buying your own speed bumps and fitting them on a public road…?’ is closed to new replies.