Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Buying your own speed bumps and fitting them on a public road…?
  • rockhopper70

Unfortunately, the quiet loop road I live on has a mini sainsbury at one end and it seems their customers use the street as a turning circle, driving at wholly inappropriate speeds for the road.
    Arco sell industrial speed bumps that just bolt in to place and in the absence of the council funding or agreeing to fund humps, can the residents buy and fit their own?

allthepies
    Free Member

I think you know the answer to that one 🙂

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You might consider a mannequin, in police uniform or maybe a child mannequin, not in uniform, but at the side of the road to slow them down

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Instead of speed humps why not build your own stinger devices? 😆

rockhopper70

I’m thinking it would be refused by the council but would it be then classed as vandalism?
    Very frustrating as the kids can’t play on the road unless I am out there listening for the speeders coming round the corners.

rockhopper70

I wonder if saimsburys would fund it…it’s their customers. Lottery nights are unbelievably bad.

DT78
    Free Member

fake speed camera?

allthepies
    Free Member

Have you approached the council/police re: speeding and possibility of getting speedbumps installed ? Try your local councillors, they were instrumental in getting speed bumps installed near me.

tazzymtb

if you place an obstruction on a public highway and a vehicle gets damaged you’d better have a bloomin good legal team as your bottom will be handed to you on a plate

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Apply to be aa play street

rockhopper70

Tried with the council and they are not interested. It is getting worse as the mini Market expands.

allthepies
    Free Member

Go for your local councillors, they love pics in the local rag. Mention the kids playing aspects for more councillor kudos.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Can you not involve the local paper?

rockhopper70

Tried with the council and they are not interested. It is getting worse as the mini Market expands.

rockhopper70

I might try the councillor but I suspect I will be just one of many residents who live on a rat run and we won’t be a priority case.
    That’s why I thought about a diy hump.

orena45

Buy you’re own and install? Short answer, no. It would be classed as along the lines of an unauthorised obstruction in the Highway.

Lobby your local Councillor if you want speed humps put in. Or residents could possibly raise the funds themselves and pay for the Council to install – but the Council would have to accept the future maintenance and liability, which may or may not be an issue.

allthepies
    Free Member

Tried with the council and they are not interested.

If you just contacted the council highways people then no doubt they’d not be interested. But get in touch with your *local* parish councillors and you might get some more progress.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

diy hump

😀

chvck
    Free Member

Put in a croc pit.

rockhopper70

Should I collect video as evidence of need? Or might that incriminate the speeders?
    Can o worms?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

CM saw the same thing as me 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Fluorescent jacket, toy ray gun, clipboard.

rockhopper70

Charliemungus….good spot.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I bet sainsburys would be more obliging than you think, worth getting together with them and taking hte proposal to the council.

Just bear in mind that speed bumps don’t stop people speeding and they do wreck car suspension even at lower than the right speed when you live in he middle of them.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Wouldn’t avg speed cameras be better as all speed bumps do is increase pollution, noise and speeding between bumps.

Sainsbury won’t contribute as customers would be less likely to use the shop.

It’s all progress isn’t it

coffeeking
    Free Member

They won’t put average speed cams over a short distance or where there’s turn-offs (i.e. residential areas), the first for accuracy reasons, the second for obvious reasons). Sainsburys could be forced to comply (and pay) by the council I suspect.

Cougar

Might make people think “I’m not going down there to turn round, it’s full of speed bumps” though.

Hateful bloody things, mind. As CK says, I’m not sure I’d want them on a road I lived on. We spend all this money on maintaining roads and filling in potholes, then put artificial ones straight back on there.

rockhopper70

The road is a loop off the main road with the store at one end junction. The straight section is around 60 metres.
    Only 2 weeks ago someone when through a garden wall over egging and couldn’t make the corner at the end.

allthepies
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’d want them on a road I lived on

I’m glad the local council installed speed bumps on my local road. They do slow down the knob ends a bit, what else would have worked ?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Besides most speed bumps are actually more comfortably driven if you go over at 35 mph rather than crawling over them.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m glad the local council installed speed bumps on my local road. They do slow down the knob ends a bit, what else would have worked ?

Largely down to how and where they’re placed. My old place had them scattered all over the village, all it did was make normal non-speeders suffer and invite more speeding because the gaps between were places to make up time – lethal. What works is visible policing, it doesn’t annoy the non-speeders and it slows down/stops the speeders.

Besides most speed bumps are actually more comfortably driven if you go over at 35 mph rather than crawling over them.

Depends on your car and the bump I guess – the full-width ones at my old place would rip your axles off if you hit them at 35. There’s plenty round here you can pass over at 30 without even realising they’re there.

Cougar

what else would have worked ?

Chicanes / road narrowing?

Onzadog
    Free Member

How old is the supermarket? If it’s a recent development, call the planning department and ask them if there are any 106 monies left over. If they act dumb, ask them why they didn’t secure any.

allthepies
    Free Member

I think they were ruled out due to the road being residential along its whole length and needing to maintain driveway access etc.

Edric64
    Free Member

Very frustrating as the kids can’t play on the road

You let kids play in the road ? whats wrong with the garden?

StirlingCrispin

I’m aware of cases where people have put up “official” child playing signs, 20mph speed limit signs etc. That will help.

Drop me an email and I’ll dig out an article on it.

Cougar

When I were a kid, if I’d “played in the road,” I’d have got a right kippering.

rockhopper70

They have wrecked the lawn pulling j turns!
    And the speeders are noisy and I don’t what them coming through my front room.
    Enough reason?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We always played in the road when we were kids.

However if a supermarket was being planned on my street I would object to it at planning, which I’m sure the OP did?

Other alternative is to move house to some where with quiter streets

carbon337
    Free Member

I bet nobody would query it for ages if you installed it in the middle of the night with hard hats and fluorescents on.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Buying your own speed bumps and fitting them on a public road…?’ is closed to new replies.