Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • buying stuff from USA for first time…
  • geordiemick00
    Free Member

my other hobby is Roller Derby and I’m looking to purchase some very specific skates from the USA. They’re coming from a USA Ebay power seller and cost £350. Would I be correct in thinking that there will be duty to pay on these when they land, if so how much and how?

z1ppy

Expect duty, then VAT on the total cost + duty + P&P cost, along with a £10 from Parcel fail for sorting customs for you.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/

Cougar

… unless they mark the customs label as a “gift”.

poly
    Free Member

Yes, you will have Duty to pay. The exact amount depends how the seller completes the Customs Invoice Paperwork, and if e.g. he doesn’t include and HS/Tariff Code what the Customs people decide to classify his goods as based on his description. I would expect it to be considered sporting goods – so I think that is 3.7% duty. You will pay duty on the total cost (inc shipping)

As well as Duty, you will need to pay VAT, and in addition the courier will usually want a fee (typically about £10) for their efforts in collecting the above!

So if the total cost is £350 that will mean you need to be expecting a bill of about £100…

z1ppy

….”expect to pay” and then be thankful if you don’t, though have heard of import duties being forwarded to ppl after the delivery.
    HMRC like their pound of flesh.

johnners
    Free Member

HMRC like their pound of flesh

…or put another way, they like to collect Duty on dutiable items.

We’re all in this together you know.

5thElefant
    Free Member

… unless they mark the customs label as a “gift”.

Value needs to be recorded as less than £30-odd.

Which is fine, in an “I’m a smuggler” kind of way, but that’ll be the insurance value too for when it gets lost.

Cougar

Value needs to be recorded as less than £30-odd.

Ah, I was not aware of that fact.

Interesting and informative. STW, not just for the nasty things in life.

scunny
    Free Member

Are you an overweight ‘punk’ woman?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘buying stuff from USA for first time…’ is closed to new replies.