• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by zomg.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Buying Speed
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

As I’m fat and lazy I decided to take the plunge on some new 50mm carbon wheels for the roadie, prime rr 50s.

Was always keen on a pair, simply because they look better than normal rims, but I was dubious of the benefits speed wise, especially given I’m slow as shit.

First ride out today, only 18 miles on a relatively hilly route, but I was 1mph faster than on the same route with the old wheels last time out. Time on hills was roughly the same, but on the flats and downhill I was consistently faster.

Have had lots of nice bikes and kit in my time, but this is the first time I think I have ever seen a real tangible difference in performance from an upgrade.

Now considering a skin suit and some shoe covers..(not really)

scotroutes

Done any sportives recently?

tpbiker
    Free Member

Nope..are you refering to the guy in the sky kit?

If so i can confirm thats not me…yet..

scotroutes

😆

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Placebo effect?

Still if it works….

tpbiker
    Free Member

Placebo effect?

Power meter says otherwise..

That said it could have been the wind helping abit. Saw a test that showed that a set of aero wheels gives about a 1.2mph increase at 200 watts. I rarely do a consistent 200 watts on a flat section however, as I save my herculean efforts for the climbs 🙂

Interestingly I also got a fancy aero helmet from Planet x a few months ago, i was suckered into it by a pop up when I went to the checkout..£20 quid. Its actually pretty comfy although it does look like a gigantic bell end.

I can’t wait to nail my next sportive…Might even pay a few mates to take turns to draft me round at certain points on the course..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Done any sportives recently?

😆

theboatman
    Free Member

Was it still not much quicker than your cx bike? 😉

oreetmon
    Free Member

A gram of amphetamine will ha……. Oops.

km79
    Free Member

50mm carbon wheels for the roadie

Oh, plus size for road bikes I thought, looks interesting, I’ll look it up…

…I don’t get it.

jam-bo

24hr jim, knock on the side window not the front door.

rickon
    Free Member

Placebo effect?

Power meter says otherwise..

That’s how the placebo effect works. Your power could be up, simply because you have new kit.

zomg

While remarkable, the placebo effect doesn’t usually actually entail feats of mind over matter. I think he’s suggesting his power meter says his power isn’t up.

I too have some 50mm aero rims on a road bike. I also believe you can buy speed if you don’t already own fast wheels.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Buying Speed’ is closed to new replies.