Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • buying specs online
  • jools182
    Free Member

has anyone bought any glasses online?

any recommendations of retailers?

Just had an eye test yesterday and the glasses I liked with the thinner lenses worked out at £300, wondering if online might be a cheaper option

soma_rich
    Free Member

I used these twice and thought they were great. They now will not sell to me as my prescription is too strong 🙁
    http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/

thehustler
    Free Member

I used these twice and thought they were great. They now will not sell to me as my prescription is too strong

In other words there is now less profit margin on you so they dont want to know……………..

………….so now you’ll have to go back to the opticians to get stuff sorted…………wonder if yours does loyalty discounts

aP
    Free Member

I’d never buy on-line, I’m very happy with my optician, but then I’m prepared to pay for good service.

Pieface

I used isyte for some prescription Oakley 5s. They’ve been fine.

rootes1

retrospecs and glassesdirect

http://www.retrospecs.co.uk/ is actually attached to an real high street optician.. good prices and service plus they do contemporary styles

peterwp
    Free Member

I have used http://www.spex4less.co.uk. Have bought 6 pairs over the last 4 years, mostly rimless ultra thin ones that the high street quoted £400 for. All have been 1/3 price of high street, never any issues. Rang them up to get sunglasses made from a frame I already had, really great to deal with.Would heartily recommend them.

flowergirl
    Free Member

I bought from The Specs Place a few weeks ago.
    Titanium Oakley ‘Transistors’ with Ultra thin Transitions lenses for £250.
    Good Value compared to my local optician anyway 🙂

this_wreckage
    Free Member

Specs place here too. Bought some titanium Oakley frames on eBay and sent them to be glazed at the specs place. Cost a total of £180 of which £120 was thinned Kodak lenses. Same standard from vision express was over £400!!

I am very happy with them too most importantly.

mintimperial

I have a pair that cost £23 from Eye Experts, their service was okay with a fairly fast turnaround. I got them to keep as an emergency backup for the fancy, expensive specs I bought from a proper opticians. The odd thing is they’re better than the expensive ones, I wear them all the time because they’re some of the best specs I’ve ever owned. The prescription is the same, obviously, but the cheap-and-cheerful frames just happen to fit my face better than any of the carefully chosen ones I’ve had over the past twenty-odd years of glasses wearing.

chomp
    Free Member

I use spectraders and have had no problems. My last pair of Oakleys (£190 online compared to about £300 in an opticians) had a very slight chip which was almost unnoticeable unless you were looking at it from a particular angle (wasn’t able to photograph it). I sent them back (freepost) and had a replacement back in a couple of days.

Speeder

Got my current pair of Oakley Transistors from a guy on eBay. Total I paid was about £90 including lenses and they threw in a spare pair of glazed glasses for free. They came all the way from Hong Kong too . If I remember the name of the eBay shop I’ll post it later. Couldn’t fault the service or the glasses and I’d advertise their services anywhere if asked.

Oh and the equivalent in the UK were well over £300.

thehustler
    Free Member

speeder hate to say you’ve been had ‘real’ Oakleys cost more than that from the manufacturer, so you have a copy or a second…….

acjim
    Free Member

I’ve used glassesdirect and had great specs x2 – excellent value and service (replaced a pair my son snapped in 1/2 free of charge)

Speeder

The Hustler – if they’re copies or seconds I literally can’t tell the difference and I suspect neither could you. They are of the quality and “performance” I’d expect of Oakley just without the price tag.

I suspect that they do a few low start auctions as loss leaders/good advertising. I got the glasses, case, warranty card etc – no hint of anything untoward.

Anyway here they are if anyone is interested

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Eyezone-Company

I got a great pair of glasses and a great service for a great price. Happy to recommend them to anyone.

Gaz

whatnobeer
    Free Member

If anyone is looking at using glasses direct, they’re todays nationwide group-on offer. Two pairs of £59 glasses for £24. Bit of a bargain.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘buying specs online’ is closed to new replies.