Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • buying rega planar 3 advice?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

casually posted asking about a planar 2 a few weeks back that i had seen on ebay, and well thats led to one thing and another and i have found a planar 3 for sale locally at what seems a reasonable price (looking on ebay). not a bargain but i can go see it and not risk couriers.

it was apparently bought new in 88/89, from pics has what looks like the standard RB300 tonearm and a popped on at some stage A&R C77 cartridge/stylus.

can anyone tell me what i need to look for and check when i look at it, and also what i should be expecting/budgeting to replace/upgrade/service if i buy it?

tenfoot

I have a Planar 3 which is a bit older than that.

A few years back, I had a problem with the turntable not spinning quickly enough, so i took it in a dealer who fixed it. Long time ago, and I can’t remember what the problem was, but if you can see it, maybe worth asking if you can listen to it too, to make sure it’s running at the correct speed.

jate
    Free Member

Normal reason for the platter not spinning at the right speed is an old belt which has gone slack and needs replacing.
    Tbh I struggle to think of much that can go wrong with a Planar (I used to have one but eventually upgraded to a Townsend with a modified RB300).

cynic-al
    Free Member

They are pretty simple things, I don’t think theres much to go wrong.

Worth getting a new cartridge and drive band and you can hot rod it with a new PSU and rewire the tonearm also.

drlex
    Free Member

They’re pretty bomb-proof. I’ve just passed a 30 year old one to my elder teenager, and Mrs Lex has given her 20+ one to our younger after being in the attic for the last few years – new drive bands from Sevenoaks & a quick stylus clean.

leffeboy

A few years back, I had a problem with the turntable not spinning quickly enough

I had that problem with mine but it wasn’t the drive band but rather the phase shift capacitor on the motor – it was really obvious if you took the cover off of the motor compartment as there was a big crack in the plastic. It cost about a pound to buy a new one from an electronics shop and I just soldered it on myself. It wasn’t obvious on all records but on some you could really hear it. If you have that problem then there is plenty of info. on the net about how to replace it

tenfoot

Likewise – mine wasn’t the drive band either.

MrNice
    Free Member

I’ve nothing to add other than to back up what others have said. Budget for a new rubber band and a cartridge, and have a listen before you buy. You might choose to upgrade but they sound good as stock.

SBrock
    Free Member

how much are they asking for the Planar 3?

ok heres my take, get a new bearing and fresh oil, a new drive belt (i have a few new ones knocking about send me SAE and i will post one for you)

How much are you willing to spend on a cartridge??? The Nagaoka MP110 is a superb cart for the money and will match the RB300 nicely

Any questions please ask – having owned a few Rega turntables – i now own an RP8

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I had a manticore mantra – like a souped up rega 3.

if you get one consider using a ringmat instead of the felt mat – a much better interface to the platter and quite an audible improvement.

http://www.ringmat.com/

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

thanks chaps. the asking price is £150 which is neither cheap nor expensive from what i can see of used prices.

cheers for the belt offer SBrock, if i get it i’ll give you a shout.

in terms of cartidges/mods i’m more interested in getting a good base that i can work from in the future, to be honest my amp is a basic yamaha from the early 90’s (its got a dodgy selector that plays only one channel until you wiggle it and seems to be getting worse but i do like the sound) and speakers i have some similar age celestions and some celestion ditton 44s. the turntable is the start of a long winded process.

SBrock
    Free Member

offer him £120

MrNice
    Free Member

I’ve not heard the Nagaoka MP110 but the 150 sounds pretty good (to be fair, it is in a more expensive system).

Regardless of cartridge choice, you’re going to need to replace everything else to hear what a planar 3 can do!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Regardless of cartridge choice, you’re going to need to replace everything else to hear what a planar 3 can do!

or not be too enthusiastic about replacing everything in case you get to the limits of the rega and then have to upgrade the rega.

I have done that several times – bought some external x-overs for my speakers, then had to upgrade all the sources and pre-amp as they were not now good enough and you could hear it.

And such an upgrade does not necessarily come with as much of an improvement in your listening experience as you might hope for – witness how many people used to enjoy their NAD 3020s which had a nack of making everything sound pretty decent, even though they were pretty modest performers.

Best to always have the source a bit more capable that the downstream system I reckon – as long as you are enjoying the music.

traildog
    Free Member

Regas are very simple, most of the money is in the arm really. Just make sure that tracks well and is in good condition.

The advice above is sound, get a new cartridge (I had a goldring 1040) and probably a belt. The ringmat does make quite a marked difference on the rega as well.

I’ve got one in a box in my garage and I had no idea it was worth so much. I should try and sell it really!

MrNice
    Free Member

Best to always have the source a bit more capable that the downstream system I reckon – as long as you are enjoying the music.

Agreed. Much better to not hear every single detail of a good source than to hear every last nuance of a crap one.

Enjoying the music is the most important part – when I got my latest TT/arm I was convinced to go and audition it by a review that said “You know that when you pop off for a quick slash and think, from the other end of the house, “Gee it sounds like there’s a band playing right here in my home”, you’ve got something extraordinary occurring” 8)

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i was looking about last night on google for used amp suggestions, i know its a bit of a ‘how long is a piece of string’ question, and naim, cyrus and arcam all seemed to come up again and again. i reckon i’d be looking to spend up to 200 for a used amp, i saw arcams easily for that cash, but hav’nt had a chance today to look further. so any advice i would gratefully receive.

anyhow looking at the rega tomorrow so we’ll see although a slight spanner in the works is that i discovered this afternoon that the last people in our holiday house managed to crack a ceramic hob, too late for me to do anything about it now as well, so i’ve got to suck up that unexpected cost and the wife will not be sympathetic to me spending on toys just now.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘buying rega planar 3 advice?’ is closed to new replies.