Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Buying parts for custom wheel build. Any gotchas I need to be aware of?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I purchased a set of Light Bicycle wheels last year and have been really pleased with them. Went to order another set with DT Swiss Hubs and they mentioned they cannot do the build I want so I thought I would source the parts and they pay a builder to build them for me.

Plan is as follows.

1. Purchase rims from Light Bicycle (open to other suggestions) with the same number of holes as spoke count on hubs.

2. Purchase DT Swiss straight pull disc hubs from interweb.

3. Spoke. Ideally bladed sapim spokes, but unsure as to what I should purchase. is this part best left to the wheel builder?

Thanks

br
    Free Member

Spoke. Ideally bladed sapim spokes, but unsure as to what I should purchase. is this part best left to the wheel builder?

I did, but then my wheelbuilder isn’t a retailer and I already had the hubs – can they get the hubs cheaper/near-enough than you?

But if you are looking at straight-pulls, buy spares…

njee20
    Free Member

MTB wheels? Don’t bother with bladed spokes. Get Revolutions and save yourself £100. That said… Straight pull spokes can be a Bugger to track down, and you may not have much choice, CX-Rays/Aerolites are often easier to get.

I’d question getting straight pull hubs full stop though.

flanagaj
    Free Member

I’d question getting straight pull hubs full stop though.

These are for road / gravel bike. That’s the second time I have heard concerns about straight pull hubs. Why do they get a bad rap?

br
    Free Member

Why do they get a bad rap?

Based on the experience of having a few, my wheelbuilder/repairer hates doing them plus getting the spokes is a PITA.

Otherwise they’re light and when right just work.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Based on the experience of having a few, my wheelbuilder/repairer hates doing them plus getting the spokes is a PITA.

Otherwise they’re light and when right just work.Ok ta. They do look sooooo much nicer too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Buying parts for custom wheel build. Any gotchas I need to be aware of?’ is closed to new replies.