Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Buying online – anyone had card details stolen??
  • TheLaw
    Free Member

Both myself and a friend had our debit cards used fraudulently within afew days of each other for the same amounts for mobile top ups. The only thing we can think that links us(he only uses his card online) is purchasing from a couple of well known online retailers. Anyone else been stung?? Both got our money back by the way.

handyman
    Free Member

bought some from stuff from a toy dealer and it was the only company and purchase used on that card, 3 days later bank rings regarding a attempted purchase to germany online, when i rang the company the said "no wasnt us" and today i had saga credit cards saying that my application for a credit card has been approved, funny as i live in the usa and saga said that a copy of my passport was sent as proof of id but my passport has been in the cupboard since april and the only people who have copies are the us goverment, will be ringing passport people tomorrow

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Mine went last week. I happened to spot something when checking my account on-line when I chased it up turns out someone had just spent £650 on kitchen appliances.

Bank were very good and sorted it out straight away. The card/account in question is only ever used for bike related stuff.

Stuart

Marge
    Free Member

yes I was also stung 2 days after a purchase at well known online bike shop.
    Something like $1750 was spent in the US & Canada (Walmart) on my card….
    Bank were very good & sorted it all out quickly.

Any similarities with your fraud?

BlingBling
    Free Member

Is it the same "online bike shop" that had issues last year/s?

Do tell.

uplink
    Free Member

I had a card that was only used once, at a well know purveyors of bicycle parts not based in Ireland
    The card had been dormant for 6 months, I used it to buy some bits & 4 days later it got 'used' in Croatia

If my PC had been compromised – I would have expected trouble with other cards & banking etc. so I can only assume that the lack of security occurred at their [or their bankers] end

lowey

Yeah mine got done for about £2k after a well known bike retailer had my card details. This was about 2 years ago.

TheLaw
    Free Member

Geez – im pretty lucky, it was only £30 i got rumbled for and i just got a letter from the bank this morning saying it'll be refunded.
    The online bike shop could be one of two. Mate and myself use both so will need to think twice before using either….probably will though cause i cant pass up a bargain.

DT78
    Free Member

Hmmm this is worrying – I've had my credit card done twice this year and got a letter from the Inland Revenue saying someone had tried to claim tax credits with my details…. pretty much I only buy bike bits and flights online. I've been wondering for a while if it was a bike site.

The main one I use is CRC but have used wiggle, winstanleys and merlin all during this time period

tang
    Free Member

same here last march, then used for top ups on phones.

DT78
    Free Member

Can someone pm me the 'well known' retailer they are talking about (in case they are worried about publically naming stuff on a forum. I'd really like to know, the credit card company doesn't tell me anything so I can't change my habits to prevent it in the future

I got done with a phone order some years ago. It wasn't hard to work out where my details had been taken from, as the multiple phone accounts paid off with my card were all from a similar area down south as the only shop I'd ever bought from down there.

Got all my cash back.

househusband

DT78; can't PM you as (a) this forum doesn't offer it, and (b) you don't have your email address in your profile! But it's one of the three you've listed…

snowpaul
    Free Member

i got done on both my visa and debit card earlier this year – diff banks each… got cash back eventually. I used the above online people ( plus a roadie shop up north ) on one card and on the other card i used 'them' and the dvla for a tax disc and local petrol stations plus that well known roadie shop up north..

I think its either the roadie shop or the well known southern uk shop that i got hit at… no probs since mind you

paul

druidh
    Free Member

The shop that folk are referring to is Wiggle. (there – I've said it).

Lo and behold, out of all the credit card fraud in the UK, a bunch of folk infecting an internet forum dedicated to cycling think they've been ripped off by details scammed from a bike supplier.

I bet there's a very similar thread over on http://www.handbagworld.com at this very moment.

brakes
    Free Member

everyone has had their credit card details stolen
    you may not have been defrauded yet
    but you're in the queue

druidh
    Free Member

EEk! there really is a http://www.handbagworld.com 😀

househusband

Druidh's put his finger on it; I recall the hysteria well – whether or not there was anything untoward happening remains unproven, AFAIK…

dq
    Free Member

Just had a near miss with £1800 attempted on a credit card, fortuantley RBS put a stop on and gave me a ring. I use my card or paypal for buying online for added security, but this really woried me.

Why are all most the posts in this thread not mentioning the compainies used? If people named who they shop with readers of this thread could be left to drw their own conclusions.

I have personally used the card with Wiggle, Merlin, Velo29 and Dotbike.

thomthumb
    Free Member

just as likely to go out the back door at the cc as from the retailer.

one of my mums cards was in the safe for three years and got done!

lowey

Pay with paypal.

druidh
    Free Member

dq – Member

Why are all most the posts in this thread not mentioning the compainies used? If people named who they shop with readers of this thread could be left to drw their own conclusions.

Because the hard-of-thinking can reach the wrong conclusion.

thomthumb – Member

just as likely to go out the back door at the cc as from the retailer.

one of my mums cards was in the safe for three years and got done!

See!

Jamie
    Free Member

I just had £575 put on my debit card with Easyjet. First thing i knew about it was a letter from my bank saying i had gone overdrawn and they would be charging me for the pleasure. 😐

Weird thing is i have not used any retailers out of the ordinary the last month or so.

Bastards.

Speshpaul

You can use paypal at wiggle. (and other online retailers)

IanMmmm
    Free Member

It's more likely to be a key logger or some other piece of malicious software on your PC than it is the actual online retailer, so it doesn't matter much where you shop – if your computer is infected with something like that the details can be stolen.

richtea
    Free Member

A few months ago someone had £15ks worth of fun out of my credit card including a £4k purchase at Dixons and £3k at Sports Direct, plus about 25 other transactions to make up the remainder of the £15k. All of it was online. Totally bonkers!

stevomcd
    Free Member

I once caught a nasty trojan on my PC. To be on the safe side, I phoned all my card-issuers and got my cards cancelled and replaced.

My credit card company (alright, Egg!) replaced the potentially compromised card with a new card which had exactly the same card number, expiry date and "secret code" on the back!

aracer
    Free Member

It's more likely to be a key logger or some other piece of malicious software on your PC than it is the actual online retailer

Depends whether you have such things on your computer. I'm sure I don't, yet have had my card details stolen twice.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I am with an Expedian credit check facility free with my CC – updates me when someone tries to make changes to my credit ref so I can be the first one to see if anyone is trying to perform identity theft on me 🙂

BTW I have had our cards done at least 3 times. They said they had stolen numbers from loads of people and our was one of them.

grievoustim
    Free Member

– use paypal or similar if its offered
    – get a credit card if you don't have one. never use a debit card if you can help it

a credit card is just as likely to be ripped off – but your not going to be sent overdrawn. Its the credit card company and not you out of pocket while it gets sorted

nigew
    Free Member

I have just had two cards done, somebody tried to move £1400 from my Tesco CC to a bank and bought a Vodafone top up on my Visa, both were spotted and new cards issued!
    Im guessing they were taken via my PC as both get used infrequently!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Buying online – anyone had card details stolen??’ is closed to new replies.