Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Buying off Gumtree but from someone a way away and asking to post – silly idea?
  • plyphon
    Free Member

So there is something not bike related I have spotted on Gumtree – they’re not rare but rare to see 2nd had at the moment.

And its a good price. Roughly 60 to 100 quid cheaper than new depending on where you shop & shipping etc.

However the dude is a way away – far to far to drive really. I mean, I *could*, but it would eat up a whole Saturday or Sunday which I don’t have spare right now.

Surely if I pay by PalPal using Goods, and I sort the shipping through Collect+ and make sure it’s insured then I’m covered?

Or is it still a silly to use Gumtree without buying in person?

weeksy

have you rung them and chatted etc ?

bearnecessities

I believe if you sort the shipping, you become liable in the event of any PayPal dispute.

It may have changed though.

funkrodent

If you pay through paypal as a bought product (as opposed to a gift) then as far as I know you’re covered and can claim back through paypal if it all goes t1ts up. Question is, do you really want to put yourself through the hassle?

plyphon
    Free Member

have you rung them and chatted etc ?

Just sent first contact through email – if they reply and don’t seem shifty then I will call. If it doesn’t have all original boxes I usually bail anyway – as that’s usually a sign of a careful owner.

I believe if you sort the shipping, you become liable in the event of any PayPal dispute.

It may have changed though.

So – what do you mean by this, as in, if I pay the seller, but then I also pay for the shipping my end – it’s my fault if it turns up and is a pile of bricks?

If you pay through paypal as a bought product (as opposed to a gift) then as far as I know you’re covered and can claim back through paypal if it all goes t1ts up. Question is, do you really want to put yourself through the hassle?

That’s what I was thinking. However, is it worth the hassle to save £60? Probably not on second thoughts. If I bought new I’d also have a full warranty.

I think I will pass after all.

bearnecessities

I can’t remember the specifics, but I’m sure a Google will tell you.

Basically it was (caveat = as I remember) that if a conventional sale and seller offered postage, it’s their responsibility to get it to you.

If they are not offering postage, but you offer to arrange, their responsibility is discharged once in hands of courier.

As I say, this was a while ago when I looked into getting a ‘collection only’ bike sent from Belfast.

plyphon
    Free Member

Yeah I see. I think I shall avoid after all. Life’s to short to fret over £60.

plyphon
    Free Member

(with the possibility of loosing £360 quid!)

Jamie
    Free Member

*losing

aw
    Free Member

Yes silly

Use ebay

MoreCashThanDash

We posted a pushchair to Cornwall that we sold on Gumtree – most people are OK, talking to someone on the phone would give you that gut reaction as to whether they are sound or not

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Buying off Gumtree but from someone a way away and asking to post – silly idea?’ is closed to new replies.