Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Buying number plates for somebody else
  • aracer
    Free Member

Is it possible to buy number plates for somebody else? I have access to the relevant docs they ask for, and proof that I live at the same address, but will they refuse to supply to anybody but the registered owner of the car?

nealglover
    Free Member

Technically you should be the registered owner, proof of ID required etc.

But if you can prove you are living at the same address, then a bit of common sense might be used and they will sort it out for you. Would depend where you go I suppose.

rickmeister

Just look in any motorbike mag or car mag in the classified section and mail order a set of “Show Plates”

Then your friend can do it for themselves if they wish….

mattbee

You don’t have to be the owner. You have to have documents to prove the registration exists and documents to prove that you are who you say you are. Used to do this quite a lot when working for Halfords, especially vanity plates bought as presents. As long as you’ve got the v5 for the vehicle and your ID it should be fine.

aracer
    Free Member

Thanks matt – wanted to get properly legal plates (given it’s for a numberboard for a bike rack I might as well do things properly if I’m trying to make it legal), and it’s a Xmas pressie, so would rather pop in to Halfords myself.

samuri
    Free Member

I bought my wife some perfume.

Wish I’d thought about getting her a numberboard. 😉

aracer
    Free Member

If only my life was so simple that mrs aracer liked perfume (or any of the other standard girly stuff).

winston_dog
    Free Member

I got some number plates of ebay.
    Delivered next day, cheap and didn’t ask for any paperwork.

scaredypants

light lollage at samuri 🙂

chickenman

There was a most enlightening feature on Radio 4 about this; how people were using false plates to nick fuel from filling stations.
    Someone from the filling station assoc (can’t remember what) phoned in with precise details how you did this including the cheapskate option of covering your plate in mud or just leaving a blanket hanging out of the tailgate! 😯

avdave2

I bought my wife some perfume

Didn’t marry you for your imagination did she. 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

winston_dog – Member
    I got some number plates of ebay.
    Delivered next day, cheap and didn’t ask for any paperwork.

They won’t be legal for road use I’m afraid.

The British Standard for road legal plates requires:

The British Standard also requires each number plate to be permanently and legibly marked with the following information:

The British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d)

The name, trademark or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier (The company that made the plate)

Name and postcode of the supplying outlet.

You will probably not have any problems, but if you do get pulled for anything, and they check your plates you could be fined.

trail_rat
    Free Member

But they will only care if your car is of an age where the plates need to be to that spec

aracer
    Free Member

But they will only care if your car is of an age where the plates need to be to that spec

If you check the law, you’ll find that any new numberplate supplied for a car first registered after 1973 has to be that spec…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ok – but on what date did that law come in ?

Prove when my plates were made ?

One of my cars has embossed plates – it is legal though

nmdbase
    Free Member

1st September 2001 the law changed 🙄

This is what you need to get one, you don’t need to be the registered keeper.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/PersonalisedRegAndNumberPlates/DG_4022573

aracer
    Free Member

you don’t need to be the registered keeper.

From your link:

as well as proof that the registration number belongs to you.

Pieface

Is this like splashing out on someone’s rack?

nmdbase
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    you don’t need to be the registered keeper.
    From your link:
    as well as proof that the registration number belongs to you.

Read the rest of it, I sold them for years, did you? I didn’t think so male hen 😉 The reason the law changed was to try to prevent people buying plates that were made up to be used in crime. “proof that the registration number belongs to you” would be you have entitlement to it, so a V5 etc.

aracer
    Free Member

“proof that the registration number belongs to you” would be you have entitlement to it, so a V5 etc.

A V5 with your name on?

nmdbase
    Free Member

No

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Buying number plates for somebody else’ is closed to new replies.