Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Buying milk from supermarkets…….
  • granny_ring

Which ones give the dairy farmers a fair crack of the whip instead of shafting them?

Since the story came to light last year I’ve been buying from the local shop, can’t remember the name of the dairy/producer.
    Reading the Llidl thread reminded me of the crazy situation and just wondered if the big shops sell farmer friendly milk at all?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Morrisons have more expensive “fair priced” milk which I usually buy. About 21p more I think.

Rich
    Free Member

Morrisons gives you the option to pay an extra 23p that goes to the farmers.

Drac

Morrisons gives you the option to pay an extra 23p that goes to the farmers

Well 10p of it.

bruneep

We had a visit to a farm near to our work and we spoke to the farmer about this, he supplies tesco and he is quite happy with the price he is paid for his milk.

Quite a high tech system the he had on farm fully automated milking for the herd, impressive to see.

Rich
    Free Member

Morrisons gives you the option to pay an extra 23p that goes to the farmers

Well 10p of it.

[/quote]

Really?
    Seeing as it is 23p more than their cheaper milk, I thought it all went to the farmers.
    That’s disappointing, and will teach me to look into things more.

Edit: I just had a quick look and the farmers get an extra 10p per litre, which on the 2.2 litre bottles is almost the whole 23p.

link.

Drac

scotroutes

Does anyone know how well Aldi pay for their supplies. A brewer friend supplied beer to them and says they were very happy to pair a fair price.

Drac

28p it’s up there 3rd post in.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’ve never met a poor farmer yet.

granny_ring

Aren’t there a few dairy farmers knocking it on the head?
    Not all rich farmers then…..

Andy

I haven’t met that many of the 50,000 dairy farmers and employees in the UK so I find it hard to come to that conclusion 😀

shifter
    Free Member

Similarly, as my dear departed granddad used to say – you’ll never see a farmer on a bike. That Welshfarmer bloke may be the exception 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

wrightyson – Member

On paper lots of farmers are rich, all they need to do is fill d someone to buy there entire business off them at a decent price and cash in. For many the hourly rate would se d people in here crying to their union, along with the working every weekend along with long and antisocial hours.
    I’ve met plenty of farmers who are doing OK but they work damm hard for that. Through expansion, planning and 50 years of hard work my dad is doing better and reasonably well but it’s still not an easy life.

wilburt
    Free Member

Just dont buy milk, its possibly the easiest product to cut out of your diet.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Really, would ruin my morning tea, and musli, and scrambled eggs and so so much more. The thread is mostly about how to give a fair reward to someone doing their job.

anagallis_arvensis

Mikwwsmith thats true, but no one forces them to be farmers and no other business gets subsidised quite like farming.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Very true the demand for cheap vs food security what a great choice.

Edit…
    I reckon teaching must be very heavily subsidised especially forcing kids to stay on longer and all that. 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

We get through probably 28 pints a week in Wrighty towers so I’m doing my bit.

Harry_the_Spider

You put milk in scrambled egg?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Only when I’m easing off the cream

bearnecessities

Never mind that, Wrightyson must bloody wash in it.

Edit:

Only when I’m easing off the cream

Phrase of the week.

wrightyson
    Free Member

3x cereals every morning and Me and the kids drink it at meal times. Keeps me off the vino and the kids off the Ribena etc. Not a broken bone in the house yet. 😆

Drac

I’ve never met a poor farmer yet

I have. He now works for the highways as a foreman as its easier and pays more.

Mikwwsmith thats true, but no one forces them to be farmers and no other business gets subsidised quite like farming.

It’s that time again folks. Next week we will have lazy teachers and all their holidays thread.

djglover
    Free Member

I’ve never met a poor oilworker and they are selling that for a quid a litre too in ASDA.

MoreCashThanDash

The ignorance of some people about the real world outside their own precious bubble never ceases to amaze depress me.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

All the supermarkets mentioned here (and Asda) get their milk from the same supplier.

How many places do you think it’s possible to get millions of bottles a week from?

It’s from the farmer’s gate, or industrial milk factory. You choose.

anagallis_arvensis

I reckon teaching must be very heavily subsidised especially forcing kids to stay on longer and all that.

Its not a business.

anagallis_arvensis

Next week we will have lazy teachers and all their holidays thread.

Come on keep up look at the news, its communist lazy doctors first refusing to work weekends.

Back on thread, why do Morrisons like milk farmers so much but not spud farmers?

Drac

Because the media hasn’t told people yet.

slowoldman

A bloke comes round and leaves the stuff on the doorstep for me. Good of him really.

globalti
    Free Member

Even though he’s waaay more expensive than the supermarket we still have our milk delivered every day by a milkman. It’s convenient and we like to support his business. His other job is a flying instructor at Blackpool airport so we’ve supported him in that a couple of times as well.

nickjb
    Free Member

A bloke comes round and leaves the stuff on the doorstep for me. Good of him really.

He leaves it outside next door here. Bit of pain to hop over the wall but still better than walking to the shops.

kcal

Aldi do milk from Grahams dairy, which is not one of the mega producers – I tend to buy that.

anagallis_arvensis

This Graham fella must have a lot of cows if he supplies all Aldi’s

Rio

Ah, Graham’s the small family dairy. Is it this Graham’s?

Graham’s Dairy slammed for paying farmers 7p a litre for some milk

Most of the bigger supermarkets have arrangements to pay farmers a reasonable amount, the big squeeze comes from the generic stuff.

mefty
    Free Member

There are still a couple of farmer owned co-operatives that supply milk, First Milk and United Dairy Farmers. Dairy Farmers of Britain however went bust because they paid too much for some businesses.

mefty
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Buying milk from supermarkets…….’ is closed to new replies.