Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Buying land of neighbour – costs??
  • AdamT

Does anyone have an idea of how much it might cost to buy a small bit of land from my neighbour (excluding the cost of the actual land)? I’m thinking that the land registry and some solicitors would have to be involved???

A.

nickjb
    Free Member

Land registry website has info on how to do it and a fees calculator. https://www.landregistry.gov.uk/ Should be well under £100 if it is a small piece of land. Not sure about solicitors but if you read up on the website you might not need one, or at least only need a small bit of their overpriced time.

crankboy
    Free Member

first question is why are you buying? The land will cost what your neighbour wants to sell it to you for. If you need the land and he knows he may charge loads. I’ve seen a neighbour charge £1000 just for a right of access over a drive when that right probably existed anyway.

dependent on the circs you will need a surveyor to draw plans for the land registry you will need a solicitor to register the plot and do the conveyance and your neighbour may use a solicitor and want you to pay.

If you are too narrow minded to pay for the solicitors overpriced time you may end up building an extension against the windows of which the neighbour or his successors in title build a 6 foot wall blocking your light, or refuse you access for maintenance. You could end up with an access narrower than your car .Or with a parcel of land you cant even access without trespassing.

uplink
    Free Member

As above, it depends how much you need it & how mercenary your neighbour is

I have one client who has to pay his neighbour £2k pa for the use of a piece of waste land measuring 1.2 x 1.5m to site a satellite dish he needs

I have bought some land off my neighbour.

There is a small fee payable to the land registry, and there is conveyancing to do, which is a bit simpler than buying a building but not so much that a solicitor will charge you much less. I did my own conveyancing which was therefore free. It was easy, the only catch being to look out for the other side’s solicitor overthinking (e.g. inserting a clause that you can’t have anything over 4ft high on the land because that seems sensible to them, even when it already has a 6ft fence, 7ft high shed and 20ft high tree on it).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Buying land of neighbour – costs??’ is closed to new replies.