• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Buying land – any advice
  • andyl
    Free Member

Some land has just come up for auction near to our house. It’s in quite a prominent position which unfortunately means it will be popular (and probably for someone who wants to put horses on it) but it is perfect for us to use a permanent base for our sheep as we currently use other peoples land under grazing agreements.

Due for auction next month. Is around 2.5 acres and has a guide price of £20-30k. Typical guide price around here is £10k/acre and it has a 25% residential uplift clause (20 years) but is in an area where it is unlikely you will get planning. We want to put in a small lambing shed and store hay and our trailer there.

Currently awaiting the legal pack and the agent will put offers to the owners before the auction.

Any advice in what we should be asking and how to go about offers? Used to buying houses not land.

binners

ninfan
    Free Member

Water supply existing? Costs either way need to be considered.

Access rights and liability towards cost of repairs to shared access routes?

Condition of Existing fences?

SPS included?

If you can find the owner it might be worth going direct and having a chat, could be happy to accept a deal for the reassurance they know it will still be used for farming

Tiger6791

Buy it, they are not making anymore* 🙂

*Unless you’re in Holland

willyboy
    Free Member

If it is for auction you’ll (more than likely) have to pay 10% on the day. I think you have a set amount of time to provide the rest of the money.

My brother bought his with an agricultural 10 year loan. He now has 3 large sheds and a temporary dwelling on his. At some point he’s going to apply to build a permanent house.

Its not guaranteed that you wouldn’t get planning for a dwelling, it just may take a long time; so don’t ever dismiss the idea.

Putting a shed up should be quite straight forward. Have a chat with the council planning officer first; I think in some cases planning is not required.

One tip; If you do get it, recess the gateway so you can park off the road whilst you unlock the gate.

MoreCashThanDash

Or Iceland.

psling
    Free Member

Check what its land use status is, this will affect price. Know what it’s worth to you and set your upper limit to bid. Is it sealed bid or public auction? (not that it makes much difference). You seem to be fairly aware of what you’re doing though.

Brainflex

who maintains fences around the land? Any covenants on the land?

andyl
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

Access – it is off the main road which is good for the trailer. But have asked the agent to get back to me about the availability of one of the access routes as it would be through the sellers car park (currently the main access) and it would make getting the barn materials on site much easier than driving up from the other entrance.

Use – pretty sure it’s just agricultural at the moment. It did have cows on it. It had any possibility of planning foe residential i am pretty sure they would have got outline and the price would be 5-10x what it currently is.

There is a water trough fed from an underground mains supply. Need to find out how it’s billed. I would normally just get an IBC on site for water but good to know there is a supply.

there is 2 power line poles on the field so need to find out if this has been paid for as a one off single payment or if there is ongoing rental from the power company.

Have walked the fences – they are okay for cows (2 strands of barbed) but I would be replacing them with proper stock fence suitable for sheep. Total perimeter is about 460m but there is some (good condition) wall for some of it. Need to find out who owns said wall but it’s part of a pub and some of it is the pub wall so i would expect it’s all the pubs. Fencing is not a problem.

I was hoping to speak to the owner but it’s up for auction in a couple of weeks so time is of the essence now.

SPS?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Rights of way?
    Can be a pain, maybe not.

ninfan
    Free Member

SPS?

Single payment scheme/single farm payment

luke
    Free Member

Around here if it’s suitable for horses the prices tend to sky rocket.

andyl
    Free Member

No rights of way through it. Bridleway runs around it outside of the boundary fence/hedge.

SPS – not registered for SPS and they are ending this year. There is a new scheme coming in but I don’t think we would get much.

Offer made this morning subject to the legal pack being okay (not been released yet)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Buying land – any advice’ is closed to new replies.