Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Buying Ipad in US
  • roadiesean
    Free Member

Hi all

I know I’ll get the answer from here, my wife and best friend are going to NY in December and I want (her best friend) to get (my missus) an ipad. Save £100 on the purchase price brings it to chrimbo prez level.

Question is this. What are the pitfalls ? I only want a wifi version, so 3G’ness is not going to be an issue, I guess it will have a US charger, but I assume with changing the pluggie in the wall bit, that should work. But is there other potential problems ? I have a house full of Australian television and DVD equipment that doesn’t work over here, I don’t want the same problemo with this bad boy !!

Any thoughts chaps and chappettes ??

Sean

pedalhead
    Free Member

As I understand it, there’s no difference between US and UK ipads (other than the wall plug). Personally, I’d wait for ipad 2.0 though 🙂

roadiesean
    Free Member

Any clues as to when that will be released ?

pedalhead
    Free Member

rumours/Apple past behaviour suggest Spring sometime

dazzlingboy

I bought my ipad in US – works perfectly. I just use my iphone charger – all good.

molgrips
    Free Member

Btw most electronic chargers can handle any input voltage from 110-240V, so you’ll only need a travel adapter. However SOME in the US are 110V only, like the Garmin one that IanB blew up by plugging it in here with an adapter.

You can however easily get adapters that step the voltage down from Maplin for a few quid.

grumm
    Free Member

In theory you would have to declare it and pay some taxes etc on bringing it back to the UK wouldn’t you?

bruneep

In theory you would have to declare it

Yes in theory you would………..but why would you?

iDave
    Free Member

‘in theory’ that would make customs wonder what you’re trying to cover up by being honest about an iPad and you and your luggage would get unwarranted attention.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Works fine, a few people at work have them, bought on a trip to the US just after they came out.

roadiesean
    Free Member

Just what I want to hear ! Thanks groovers. Love your work.

S

grumm
    Free Member

Yes in theory you would………..but why would you?

As long as you’re comfortable with tax evasion (which most on here seem to be) then yes, why would you?

geetee1972
    Free Member

If you bought it at duty free in the airport, then you’d have no issue with declaring it plus you’d have a valid UK warranty and it would only be about £60 more than if you bought it in the US.

bruneep

As long as you’re comfortable with tax evasion

very comfortable thanks, cant see GB PLC going under for that.

stuartm555
    Free Member

3G works fine here too – just get a free sim from o2 or orange.

power – you can plug a UK figure-of-8 cable into the apple charger rather than using a travel adaptor.

brassneck

My charger is a wall wart with a USB connection into it – so a US-UK adaptor would see you right.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Buying Ipad in US’ is closed to new replies.