Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • buying handsets from GiffGaff – any experiences?
  • ElShalimo

They seem to have a lot of handsets at slightly lower prices than their competitors. I think you can buy as a new customer but have to buy a 1-month SIM package.
    Is there a catch?
    Are they reliable?
    Has anyone used them?

si77

Funnily enough, I ordered one yesterday evening, it arrived midday today. Free delivery. Seemed to be a competitive price for an unlocked Moto G.

ElShalimo

thanks si77
    – did you have to pay the extra £10 for a SIM you don’t need?

si77

No, as I already had an activated GG SIM with credit on it.

I think the SIM is free, you just have to buy a £10 goodybag. You could potentially get round this by getting an existing customer to order the phone for you, if you don’t want GG yourself.

ElShalimo

thanks

scuttler

No bother and cash back on quidco at least a couple of years back.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Giffgaff is o2 / Telefonica so no problems

Kahurangi

I did, got the phone as expected. Think it was not network locked. Would buy again. A++++

Simon

I got my current Sony Z3 compact from GiffGaff. Paid a deposit and paid rest off over 2 years. No problems at all and when the headphone socket stopped working after a year they fixed it with no hassle.

ElShalimo

Huawei phone arriving this morning. I might develop an alter ego to get use of the new SIM

Thanks everyone.

kingforaday
    Free Member

No issues at all

nickjb
    Free Member

They’re actually very good to use as a service provider. Almost everything can be done easily online, no need to go through the pain of a call centre. Might be worth using your sim as trial

ElShalimo

Has anyone used a GiffGaff SIM card abroad?
    is it like the 3 network where you can use your UK voice and data allowances abroad?

bensales
    Free Member

I’ve used mine in Spain just recently. Thanks to the new regs (no doubt that will disappear in 2019), it works exactly the same in Europe as in the UK. Minutes and data out of my bundle and no roaming charges.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Pay money, they send you phone. Free SIM and select your goody-bag to suit your usage. No contract. Works abroad. Been with them for around 5 years. No problem, provided you are OK with peer to peer support model.

theotherjonv

Has anyone used a GiffGaff SIM card abroad?
    is it like the 3 network where you can use your UK voice and data allowances abroad?

yes, that’s EU law now. So enjoy it while you can

I was in Italy last week but couldn’t get mine to connect for data …… until I found wi fi and after a bit of googling I had to set up a new APN/access point. My default-existing one (O2 Pay & Go) wouldn’t connect but google said i had to set up a Giffgaff Internet one (with all the settings) and that sorted it. My wife’s also with Giffgaff (but iphone rather than my Huawei P7L) and hers connected immediately, so I don’t really understand. Now back in the UK and both my access points seem to work!!

ianfitz
    Free Member

We’ve got all four phones on giffgaff at home. Good network as others have said.

In terms of European use, it’s the law now. Just make sure you enable roaming BEFORE you leave uk signal.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘buying handsets from GiffGaff – any experiences?’ is closed to new replies.