Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • buying from the states?
  • JimStark
    Free Member

Anyone in the U.K. purchased from a dealer in the U.S.? looking at a frame, £2350 here and $2350 in the States but 2010 version in sale at $1700. Don’t know the rules regarding V.A.T. and any other duty though. Any thoughts? Oh, please don’t bother with the “just pay the full price and stop being a skin flint” comments because I’m really not interested, just want to keep it on topic. Ta 🙂

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I’ve bought small stuff (headsets etc) from the US with no probs at all, and didn’t get stung for VAT or import duty.

It is a toss-up though. Assume the price you are paying will have VAT and import tax added – if still a good deal go ahead. If you get lucky and the parcel comes in under the HMRC radar then you end up with an unexpected bargain!

adam1330
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of forks on there way from the USA, in the next few days I should find out what import charges I have to pay so will let you know. I do know that you have to pay VAT on the purchase price inc the P&P, but I believe there will also be an import tax and a handling charge from whoever delivers them this end.

steveh

Budget 25% on top of what you pay for the frame including shipping for duty (4% ish, maybe 4.7% from memory then 20% vat on top of all this) and the couriers fees for handling it. You might get lucky and pay nothing and it will be all or nothing. If you buy from a friendly dealer they might mark it as a lower value or as a gift to reduce the chances of getting stung.

ridingscared
    Free Member

Depends on the sender- some will mark the package as low value and gift/commercial sample so you avoid duty, but most won’t.Figure on payig the vat and import duty and a handling charge,my Cove Shocker cost me nearly £200 extra despite the gift marking because the value was high. Unfortunately since 9/11 the US postal service have a duty to report ‘suspicious’ transactions so the majority of the people i’ve dealt with in the states won’t risk sending too many ‘gifts’ for fear of the wrath of the authorities. If you are saving the thick end of a grand then think about flying out with a bike bag and an overnight bag, picking up the frame, stripping the price tags off and bringing it back with you. Of course with Chris king dollar for pound you could pop a few bits in as well for your mates to subsidise the trip. Do remember however that if its purchased in Manhattan you’ll pay their version of vat at aboput 7.5% i believe.

And like you I’m not interested in the ‘thats against the law’ brigade , until we stop getting ripped off over here then go for it.

adam1330
    Free Member

Bit late replying, but I only ended paying the VAT as the forks were marked with $150 value!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

My new frame left San Fransico 12.23pm their time yay, it’s last years model but RRP here is £1349, cost me $870 will have to see how I get on with import duties. I bought a Banshee from Canada a few years back of similar value and cost me £510 delivered, duty was quite ‘favourable’. Don’t worry about it just gopher it. 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve bought stuff from the U*S*A* (not MTB stuff, but that doesn’t matter), smaller items usually fall under the C&E radar, especially if the U*S retailer makes an effort for you ie one retailer sent with Birthday Greetings tape stuck all over it and on the cust0ms label ticked the ‘gift’ box. Other small items have not been marked as such, but still arrived without a added bill. Like others have said, you should still always price items under the assumption that you will be charged extra and consider it a bonus if you don’t get charged. It might be worth contacting the U*S retailer first and asking what they are prepared to do for you.

aracer
    Free Member

And like you I’m not interested in the ‘thats against the law’ brigade , until we stop getting ripped off over here then go for it.

Got any tips on evading income tax, or fraudulently claiming benefits?

JimStark
    Free Member

to be honest i was thinking that even with vat and duty it might still be a bargain, that was before my american mate offered to get his mom to send him an early birthday present 😉

aracer
    Free Member

What value is she planning on putting on the customs declaration then?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘buying from the states?’ is closed to new replies.