• This topic has 21 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • buying from the classfied ad's – advice please…
  • ahwiles
    Free Member

i'm about to buy a bike from the classified ad's,

The bike is about 250miles away – so i'm not driving to view/pay/collect.

i've got the cash waiting, i think the seller has the bike waiting.

what's the procedure? – is there anything either of us can do to make things a little 'safer'? – or am i being paranoid?

?

uplink
    Free Member

If your a bit worried – just ask on here for a reference for him/her
    I'm sure they won't mind

epicsteve
    Free Member

I usually check their posting history and if they're a regular than I make the payment. I've not been let down so-far.

DickBarton

Take someone with you…have a good look over it when you get there (or find out if there could be closer)…if the price is right and the bike is right you hvae nothing to loose…but unless you can actually see it in the flesh to satisfy yourself, there isn't much you can do sitting at home…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I've bought bikes off there before with no problems, just made sure I had some sort of proof of thier address before sending the cheque.

Bike arrived, no issues (well the fork needed a service after 2 rides, but being marzocchi it only cost £40 in parts and they'll keep going for another 5 years!)

Just be 100% sure its the spec you want, no point planning to upgrade to disks if the hubs are the wrong sort, or the fork isnt pop-lock copatible etc etc

mieszko
    Free Member

If I'm buying something a bit more expensive than say £100 I try to pay with a normal PayPal and not as "gift". If the seller sold here couple of things, bought another few and also posted on the bike and other forum, then like Uplink wrote, ask for some references. I only got scammed once on Classifieds, the guy is probably no longer here or changed his details. Apart from that it selling and buying was problem free and You deal (in my experience) with friendly people.

Also usual rule apply, if it's too good to be true…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

uplink – Member

If your a bit worried – just ask on here for a reference for him/her
    I'm sure they won't mind

I think thats the way forward. Check their posting history as well.

hora
    Free Member

OP- express your concern to the Buyer (thats fair)- ask them if they could email you from their work email address. Still not guaranteed safe but at least you have some sort of stability/steer. If they say they dont have one then to be honest, if its alot of money I'd only buy/collect. I only get high-value posted if I've satisfied all my concerns.

I bet alot of ripped off people keep quiet. i,e 'missing in post' and other areas that could go either way. STW classifieds arent saintly or a friendly-club. Sorry, I dont believe that.

If not totally sure- dont take a punt with your money. Its not worth the risk.

Hey mieszko- the watch you sold me is SPOT ON. Its stunning. The face size actually suits my wrist. The strap is on the edge of being too small though (darn my peasant-wide wrists!) 😀

mieszko
    Free Member

Another satisfied STW buyer 😉

soobalias
    Free Member

a number of things will help satisfy you.

phone call to the seller, ideally a landline number, even better to their work.
    New and specific photos of the goods, to ensure they actually have them
    Seller included in the photo perhaps?
    Pay the paypal fees.
    Pay for insurance.
    You may be able to trace their history here, they may have an ebay id they dont mind you checking out, they may be known on one of the other mtb sites.

hora
    Free Member

In addition, remember IWH? If he lives too far away it means **** all if your being rolled over on. Personally if someone blatantly ripped me off for even £50 I'd spend £200 recovering it and that includes petrol/time off work or court costs. If I didnt I wouldnt be able to sleep at night.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Get copy photo ID and Council Tax bill – it's what law firms etc have to use to AML clients.

NZCol

I bought a bike from NZ from a chap in Cardiff – JonJones13 you are a legend.
    I did a bit of background checking on him via some sources in the UK so knew he was legit before i transferred the money to him. All worked out sweet though 🙂 You can normally tell who is legit and who isn't or maybe I am too suspicious ?

DezB
    Free Member

Hmm.. I'm just too trusting I suppose. I'm buying a bike from Yorkshire for a mate at work and I haven't checked anything!

Anyone know toxicsoks ? (you lot've made me paranoid!)

DezB
    Free Member

(even more paranoid now) 😯

crispybacon
    Free Member

toxicsoks isn't that IWH's new name ? 😉

hora
    Free Member

DezB, Im in Hudds this weekend (if the STW is based there). I could pop over and verify for you if?

stratobiker
    Free Member

Why not meet somewhere halfway?
    I've done that a couple of times, to buy, and to sell.
    It's always worked out good so far.
    Plus you get the chance to meet the seller.

SB

DezB
    Free Member

hora – Member
    DezB, Im in Hudds this weekend (if the STW is based there). I could pop over and verify for you if?

Very kind of you to offer. 🙂
    No, it's fine, we've exchanged a few emails and I can pretty much tell he's genuine.

hora
    Free Member

Kool 🙂

ScottChegg
    Free Member

If the sellers name is Fruit, Tango or Superstar then approach with caution!

hora
    Free Member

Scottchegg, at least he sells new kit. Some people on here have misdescribed their items. i.e. you ask them if theres anything to note and they keep quiet/in other words if you dont ask they wont volunteer the info. He knows who he is though.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘buying from the classfied ad's – advice please…’ is closed to new replies.