Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Buying from One Stop Digital; your input please
  • stumpy01

I know a few people on here have mentioned buying from One Stop Digital in the past.

Well, I am gonna be buying myself a Tamron 90mm macro from them in the next day or so and am after some info/advice/experience….

Do I pay by Paypal Gift? Ha ha, only joking…

They accept bank transfer which gives you a 2% discount so was gonna do that. Any downside? I guess with credit card I get the consumer protection that goes with it so may have answered my own question…

Also, they offer an extended 7yr warranty for £10 through Mack warranties. This seems like a no brainer, but just wondering if anyone else has gone for it. There is no info on the website about what it actually covers. Just a link to the Mack website which is also not very helpful…

Any opinions/experiences gratefully received.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve bought from them before with no issues. Not sure about warranty or bank transfer – 2% isn’t a massive discount though so I’d be tempted to pay by credit card personally just for the extra backup. Panamoz do 5% discount for bank transfer which is a bit more tempting.

stumpy01

Yeah. The lens is only £245 from them, so about £5 discount. Probably better to have peace of mind from the credit card company.

Grum, what was delivery time like? Think they state 2-3 weeks. Is that realistic or has it been quicker in your experience? Am gonna be itching to get my hands on it!

All my photo/day Flickr pics are macro style stuff as it’s so un-inspirational outside at the moment. Using my Nikon compact for a lot of it as it’ll focus nice & close, but have decided to stop messing about & get a proper lens for the job!

grum
    Free Member

I think it was around a week IIRC. Know what you mean about the photo a day – I haven’t even processed/posted any yet! I have that lens btw – it’s good value and very sharp. Focus motor can be a bit weird sometimes going from close to far distances but I’m happy with it for its intended purpose.

stumpy01

A week sounds good!

My experience of pic/day so far has been…outside it’s dark, raining, dull, flooded or a combination of those. Better find another household object to try & make look interesting.

Seriously need to gain someexperience using my flash gun. Not really earned it’s £250 outlay yet!

Toss up between the Tamron or the 100mm Tokina….but Tamron is £50 cheaper & supposed to be very good, apart from as you say a bit of focus hunting. Can live with that, I reckon.

grum
    Free Member

I just take lots of pictures of cats. :). Best thing to do with a flash gun is spend yet more money and buy some cheap triggers so you can get it off camera.

Yup the focus hunting is not really a problem TBH.

stumpy01

i’ve got a Nikon which works off camera without separate triggers.

It’s just finding the time to play around with it & get it set-up properly. Should probably read the manual!

stumpy01

Meant to update this & forgot.

Couldn’t have been happier with my experience with One Stop Digital.

There’s loads of stuff on the website about address verification if you want delivery to an alternative address etc. but I didn’t have any problems with that.
    The lens arrived in 3 days from Hong Kong, well packed and the whole thing went very smoothly.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Buying from One Stop Digital; your input please’ is closed to new replies.