Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Buying drinks in a bar: checking prices first
  • freddyg
    Free Member

If there’s a few of us on a night out and we’re buying rounds, I usually keep a running total (on my iPhone, or I pop the receipts in my top pocket) of total spends, then we can share the difference equally at the end of the night

Why don’t you all put £20 in a kitty? When it runs out, put a tenner in. And repeat. Or something.

thomthumb
    Free Member

went in one of the locals a few weeks back for 2 pints.

“That’ll be £9.60” she says as she hands me back 40p. “Oh no, it’s gone up. £9.80” as she takes 20p back out of my hand.

Why not call it a tenner 20p won’t buy me anything.

Hamble area

jolly sailor ^

tomtomthepipersson

I paid 7 quid for a pint of cherry beer in some fancy beer place in Islington.

Took me about an hour to drink the bloody thing. It was horrible.

I was drunk.

Serves me right really.

atlaz
    Free Member

Passing through Switzerland I paid 9 euros for a pint. I wasn’t impressed at the price but it was a nice stop and the view was lovely so all things considered I was okay with that.

hora
    Free Member

“That’ll be £9.60” she says as she hands me back 40p. “Oh no, it’s gone up. £9.80” as she takes 20p back out of my hand.

😆 had this at Bartok’s in Camden. Two drinks £9.30 (circa). Mrshora was pissed off. Barmaid came over and said ‘sorry I’ve made a mistake’ (me grins at mrshora) ‘it should be an extra £1.50’.

😆

zilog6128

Why don’t you all put £20 in a kitty? When it runs out, put a tenner in. And repeat. Or something.

This works well for “big nights out”. If anyone else joins the group, you don’t have to worry about buying them a drink – unless they stick a tenner in. Plus you don’t have anyone messing around with silly drinks orders. You get what everyone else is having, e.g. everyone has a pint, or everyone has a shot, etc.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I was in a hotel feeling a bit ‘tired’ and ordered a brandy. The barman asked which brandy so I just pointed at one randomly and said ‘Make it a double’

Thankfully the bar man said ‘Good choice sir, we don’t often sell much as it is £37 per measure. Most people choose this one at just £7 per shot. Perhaps you would like to try that one first?’

I thought that was a great way of letting me know before I got fleeced

user-removed
    Free Member

The hotel I got married in had a good selection of single malts behind each bar. My poor (English) wedding photographer finished for the night, bought himself a double whisky and was slightly taken aback when asked for £48!

I told my best man the tale ( my little brother ) and he promptly bought me a double of the same whisky – I was astonished as he’s a bit stingy at the best of times. I found out the next day that he’d charged it to his room which was paid for by my parents 😀

joeegg
    Free Member

I can’t believe what some people are paying for a pint.
    Pub down the road,£1.90 pint of bitter,£2.10 for a pint of lager or stout.Basic pub,no juke box,food,fruit machine,dart board etc.
    The bags of crisps are big as well !

user-removed
    Free Member

£1.90?! I’m £2.90 for a pint of Landlord, and that’s in the post-industrial wasteland that is NE England.

Squidlord
    Free Member

I had 3 pints of Staropramen last night – it came to about 3.2 of your English pounds. But then I do live in Prague.

[Feels smug]

thejesmonddingo

I was in the Old No.7 in Barnsley with my brother,it’s the Acorn brewery tap,and on his round I’d seen a bottle of beer with Amarillo on the label,so I said can I have one.Poor bugger came back,it was the De Molen Amarillo,£6.50 for 330mls,it was delicious 😆
    P.S. I did offer to pay,but he stood for it.

zilog6128

Pub down the road,£1.90 pint of bitter,£2.10 for a pint of lager or stout.

is that shit beer though, or anything worth drinking?

br
    Free Member

My normal rule of thumb abroad is to drink local beers, never imports.

Had a huge rant in the ar5e-end of Poland once, where the barmaid insisted that we should drink the imported stuff as we weren’t local 🙂

At that time it was about 1DM (hard to buy local currency at the time) for a local beer and 10DM for an import – foreigner price too, as I found out later.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

And I thought being asked for 7 euros after ordering a “pint” of Grimbergen in Amsterdam 2 weeks ago was a bit steep!
    I say this but if you’re not careful, you can get charged £4.80 for a pint of peroni in the local in Guildford.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

All places I frequent list the prices on the blackboard.

£6.60 for a double Buffalo Trace & Pepsi tonight at the Witherspoons.

I don’t know if that’s normal or not.

I’ll pay £3.30 for a cask pint all day. But it’s Edinburgh, where the braver you are, the cheaper the pint.

ChrisA
    Free Member

Typically my local in Nottingham is £3 fit a pint of London Pride. £3.50-£4 for a peroni. More local beer is around £2.50-£3 a pint for castle rock or other local beers.

South wise, I was out in Brighton where my sister lives no long ago and it came to £10 for a London pride & a glass if wine & about £10 for a pint of moretti & a London pride.

I remember when I lived in reading 10 years ago and j was ashtonished it cost me £3.50 for a pint of Stella at the Swan at Pangbourne. I’m only 32 and also remember going out for a Saturday night with £30, coming home plastered and also having change in my pocket!!

It’s my choice to drink, I enjoy drinking with friends, family & the wife, so I’m not particularly fussed if it costs me £3 or £10 a pint. The only correlation it might have is if I drank 3 pints or 10 pints!

DrP

This is the thing…
    If I want £20 worth of booze, I’ll spend that.
    If I don’t, I wont.

We don’t do this for socks, why do we do it for beer??!!

DrP

(I know it’s all a social thing, but TBH I just really don’t ‘get it’ – I think it’s because I wasn’t raised in/around pubs at all, so it’s all a bit alien to me!)

pictonroad

“Dr P” first man up at Single Speed UK.

There’s method in his madness you know..

Militant_biker

A flip side of this, a few years ago, in a Wetherspoons or similar, in Darlington, or similar. Malt of the Month, 18yo something or other.
    Me: “3 of those please barman.”
    Him: “£3.30.”
    Me: “No, I’m paying for all 3.”
    Him: “Yes, £1.10 each.”
    Me: “Triple them”

I miss the desolate NE. 🙁

allyharp

you’re drinking Belgium Trappist beer, in a terrace bar in rome, it’s not g]oing to be 10 euros is it?

Correct. The pint of Dubbel I had immediately afterwards was €6.50. We’d seen the draught price list, which is what gave the impression that prices were reasonable.

This was the oak aged version. I wasn’t aware it was different to the standard quad, but I’ll look out for it in future!

And FWIW I wasn’t in Rome.

allyharp

you’re drinking Belgium Trappist beer, in a terrace bar in rome, it’s not g]oing to be 10 euros is it?

Correct. The pint of Dubbel I had immediately afterwards was €6.50. We’d seen the draught price list, which is what gave the impression that prices were reasonable.

This was the oak aged version. I wasn’t aware it was different to the standard quad, but I’ll look out for it in future!

And FWIW I wasn’t in Rome.

Kahurangi

Similar to Flash’s place there’s a boozer in town that prices drinks proportional to ABV 😆

tomhoward

Flash’s place

First class lounge bar at heathrow any major international airport?

user-removed
    Free Member

This is the thing…
    If I want £20 worth of booze, I’ll spend that.
    If I don’t, I wont.

It’s more the hassle of going to the bar and elbowing your way through the throng, rather than the cost. And then carrying six pints back through the throng to your table.

freddyg
    Free Member

We don’t do this for socks, why do we do it for beer??!!

It’s easier as there is no concern about “rounds” then. One person keeps the kitty, they go the bar. However, we don’t tend to frequesnt bars where you have to fight to get served so being the kitty holder is never a chore.

Also, I don’t go out to buy socks with my friends. 😆

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Buying drinks in a bar: checking prices first’ is closed to new replies.