• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by LMT.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Buying car with print out service history only?
  • woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Just looked at a 2010 Honda Civic. It was previously owned by “Mercedes Benz Finance”

The car does not have a service history book with nice stamps. Instead it has a print out with the service history listed. The detail on the history is pretty good. i.e. wipers and oil changed, discs replaced etc.

The dealer said he could get hold of a Honda service book and copy across the data. However, it wouldn’t have the service stamps.

I’ve never come across a print out service history. I’m worried about it effecting the value when I sell on in a few years.

Anyone else come across this?

djglover
    Free Member

I would place more value on that record than stamps in a book. Lots of new cars dont come with them. Probably helps keep servicing in the dealer network

nealglover
    Free Member

Lots of times, it’s normal for many leased vehicles.

Never seen it as a problem.

It’s been serviced, you have documentation to prove it, that’s all you need really.

benji
    Free Member

Not uncommon, personally wouldn’t worry about it as long as it’s documented then all is good.

jimjam
    Free Member

Contact the garage who did the work for some peace of mind.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I always like to see service stamps backed up by invoices.
    This is the next best thing!

alexonabike

I bought a van with a similar style print out. It was only after comparing the milage on the MOT’s to the ‘service history’ i discovered something a miss. A print out is very easy to forge. Double and triple check these things before handing over the cash.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“A print out is very easy to forge. Double and triple check these things before handing over the cash.”

As are stamps.

Big bad world out there always double check. Coincidently the two best cars ive bought in my life have been cars with no service history ( one 3 years old and one 15) The two worse condition/least reliable cars have been the one with the full service history , reciepts stamps etc…..

onlysteel
    Free Member

Mazda do likewise. As dglover says, I also thought it was to keep servicing in their network.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. I bought the car. The service history matched up with what I could see had been done on the car i.e. new discs and pads all round about 1k ago. The MOT dates and mileages match up with the govt website too. Hopefully I’ve got a good un!

LMT
    Free Member

Once a car is past a certain age does service history even count as anything anymore??

My last car was 7 years old when I traded it in, full service history, offered it to the salesman and he wasn’t bothered said it didn’t effect the offer he would give me, just a nice to have.

Once they get past a certain age guessing 4 years? they just go to auction anyway unless you privately sell.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Buying car with print out service history only?’ is closed to new replies.