Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Buying car parts – motor factors vs eBay
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Need to buy quite a few bits for my Focus Mk1.

About a year ago I bought a lower front arm (bent it with a kerb) from a motor factor. Had to replace it maybe 2 months ago as it was worn. Replaced it with an ebay one. Now it’s worn again.

So basically (unless of course something else is knackered, which is totally possible), the products from both sources weren’t great.

Anyway, I need to get, amongst other parts, a new clutch kit and clutch slave cylinder.
    From the local motor factor the clutch kit is £105, and the slave cylinder is £67.

On ebay, you can get both for about £70 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-1-6-Clutch-Kit-Concentric-Slave-Cylinder-/390442006754?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5ae82838e2).

Is ebay dodgy for new car parts? Surely a lot of the places are just local motor factors with an online store?

Any thoughts?

Ta, Duane.

Duane…
    Free Member

Anyone?

TheFlyingOx

Most of my car bits come from eBay. The only danger is that the pic is representative rather than actual, and you find out when the parcel arrives that the glow plugs you ordered are actually for the post facelift model despite the ad specifically staying they were for your model.

spooky_b329

I bet something else is worn, like you say.

Replace it, then go to a four wheel alignment place (NOT Tracking) and get them to show you how squiffy the wheels are still. It will measure all angles of all wheels and compare them, and they will correct it or tell you whats still bent.

http://www.alignmycar.com > centre locator

takisawa2

From my experience you do get what you pay for, & this shows itself with things like suspension parts that have ball joints etc.

We have a Ford Galaxy (Alhambra/Sharran type). Notorious for going through drop links on the front suspension. Dealers sell them for about £40 each. Can get them for as little as £10 each on Ebay. The Ebay ones last 2-3 years. The originals had been on for 6years when they went. Would I have been better off buying the £40 originals…? Its a 15min job to change them (dont even have to take the wheel off).

I’ve bought a complete set of discs & pads for the Mondeo for the price of a set of pads from the main dealers. They’ve been on 3 years now with no issues.

The only surprise has been the new front hubs for the Mondeo. Dealer wanted £120 ea. Pair from Ebay were £75. I half expected them to go again in a couple of years but 3 years on they are still sound.

For something like a clutch I wouldnt scrimp. Given the box has to come out I’d buy the Borg kit, & a decent slave cylinder also.

parkesie
    Free Member

Cheap wishbones are well known to be pants worth the extra for genuine bits if you dont want to keep replacing them. Seen cheap wishbones pop ball joints at a few months old.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Goddam spam – how was your clutch duane which you go for ?

Duane…
    Free Member

Genuinely can’t remember to be honest, but pretty sure I bought it from a big online motor factor (not on ebay).

Seems fine so far, but only used it for 7 months (so 8k miles or so).

johnellison
    Free Member

How much for genuine parts? Stuff is usually cheap for a reason…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My experience with MG bits is if someone is OK putting their name on the packageing it’s good (QH still make bits that fit), stuff* that arrives in anonymous white boxes generaly lasts less time than it takes to fit.

*anything with moving parts or rubber seals, brake disks/pads seem immune form the packageing/crap inverse proportionality

tomaso
    Free Member

You can source some good bargains on fleabay – I got a recon driveshaft for £30 posted for my Focus last year and that was about £70 cheaper than anywhere else.

teethgrinder

QH? Every single QH thermostat I have ever bought has been a dud – that’s over 3 Rovers (414×2, 220 Coupe, 75) and a Renault 5 in-line stat to mod an Alfa 156 2.4JTD – £80 for one of those!!!)

konabunny
    Free Member

Spam…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Buying car parts – motor factors vs eBay’ is closed to new replies.