Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Buying bike stuff on eBay from the US – what could go wrong??
  • oxym0r0n

Thinking of buying some (new) Fox Forks on US eBay – has anyone ever done this?

What are the pitfalls?

I realise warranty gets complicated but they are cheaper and available in the configeration I want.

Any thoughts STW massiv?

DezB
    Free Member

They’ll probably get stopped by customs, which will delay delivery and cost you more money in duty.

Tracey

Ive bought from US and Australia on Ebay [Specialized Command posts] with no problems and no problems or charges with customs

IA

Cheaper with shipping, 4.7% (IIRC) tax, 20% vat and £8 handling fee?

andyha
    Free Member

I have bought boots from Alaska, no issues with customs.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve bought wheels – custom charges; I’ve bought wheels – no custom charges.
    It’s a gamble.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Customs seem to let the smaller stuff go through these days. Admin costs of processing a few quid duty doesn’t justify it.

But Sod’s law says you’ll get a Jobsworth the day your forks come in…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve done it a few times over the years, forks & shocks. Most times I get caught by customs, but it’s still considerably cheaper than buying over here.

My last set of Fox 36 Float’s (new 2012, RLC Kashima ones) snuck in for just under £400 after shipping & all the duty charges, and the replacement brand new Devilles (bought on a whim as they were so cheap) were a similar cost.

There are some real bargains on there sometimes.

strawb3110
    Free Member

Sorry to piggy back on this topic, but have been looking at U.S forks also on ebay, when would the import Tax b charged if it was? (sorry for my ignorance on these matters)

jota180
    Free Member

I’ve bought 3 lots of Fox Forx from a US ebay shop called Coloradocyclist

Nice guy with lots of good feedback from overseas

jota180
    Free Member

when would the import Tax b charged if it was?

When the goods enter the UK

z1ppy

Stawb: Ok add 4.7 import tax, + a £10 (rip me off) courier handling charge, then calculate VAT of all that and add it ontop…

http://www.dutycalculator.com/

jota180
    Free Member

Customs seem to let the smaller stuff go through these days

There is no duty payable on personal items below £135 value
    VAT is payable on anything over £15 but often not processed

oxym0r0n

Thanks guys – think I’ve now sourced a good deal in the UK but useful to think about for the future…

Gooner
    Free Member

just bought something from USA (I paid about £500 inc p&p against a UK price of £950) and although it was delivered to the UK within 3 days it has been sat in customs for 8 days. Its now been released and I have to pay £115 so from a money point of view a result but if you want quick delivery it may not be your best option

strawb3110
    Free Member

Hey guys, thanks for responses to my ‘dumb’ questions, do customs simply email you if they require any import taxes etc or how do they advise you? Looking at getting some forks from the Colorado Cuycles guy on ebay, previously mentioned above, anyone else done so?

br
    Free Member

But Sod’s law says you’ll get a Jobsworth the day your forks come in…

Otherwise known as a man doing his job…

jota180
    Free Member

do customs simply email you if they require any import taxes etc or how do they advise you? Looking at getting some forks from the Colorado Cuycles guy on ebay, previously mentioned above, anyone else done so?

I tracked them online and as soon as they were at the local Parcelforce depot, I called them and drove down there to pay [£25] and collect them
    Normally they send you a letter and you ring up or pay online, they then deliver

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Bought a few forks and sheels from the States. Never had any issues.

thecrookofdevon

So I want to buy a BOB Ibex trailer. Would you risk it and buy from the States? Given how ridiculously expensive they are here in relative terms.

pete68
    Free Member

Used Colorado cycles for some forks about a year ago. Saved a fortune. Easy to deal with and trackable all the way. Would definitely use again.

richmtb

Its your donald as to whether you end up paying the customs fee.

I bought some S/H Revs off ebay and ended up having to pay the duty. It was still not a major hardship as they were much cheaper than similar UK forks were selling for so after duty I was still a few quid ahead.

The guy I bought them off in the states was a really nice bloke too.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Buying bike stuff on eBay from the US – what could go wrong??’ is closed to new replies.