• This topic has 21 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by beej.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Buying an old school Steel ( Road) Frame
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ok, so If I was to buy this frame.. Guerciotti, how do I set the bar height? Its not like you can cut down the steerer can you?
    Am I missing something obvious?
    😳 ❓

clubber
    Free Member

No, the stem fits into the steerer and locks in place with a quill arrangement. Loosen it off and you can move it up or down a few cm.

FWIW, I wouldn’t buy a bike with a quill stem – ahead is simpler, lighter, stronger and has more choice of stems.

geoffj

There’s some adjustment with a quill stem.

Edit: what clubber said

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bencooper
    Free Member

ahead is simpler, lighter, stronger

And uglier 😉

Quill stem with the Kona headset system – best of both worlds.

clubber
    Free Member

In your opinion 🙂 But then I always disliked the spindly look of steel frames.

Kona Impacts were better than standard headsets but they are still a heavier/less strong solution.

thepodge
    Free Member

Has threadless been around so long some people don’t know what threaded is?

I feel old

nickc

thepodge, I think when something gets replaced (headsets for instance) with something that most folk find is so superior in every respect (Aheadset for instance) that the old system gets dropped so fast it soon falls into “stuff that bicyles left behind”. See wooden rims, rodded brakes etc etc…

mrmo
    Free Member

thepodge, I think when something gets replaced (headsets for instance) with something that most folk find is so superior in every respect (Aheadset for instance) that the old system gets dropped so fast it soon falls into “stuff that bicyles left behind”. See wooden rims, rodded brakes etc etc…

like user serviceable bottom brackets? you mean? Ahead has some advantages, but it also means you can’t adjust bar height easily.

Edric64
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with quill stems ,certainly not weak and easy to adjust the height

nickc

but it also means you can’t adjust bar height easily.

hmmm, ‘cos you have to do that all the time, right? Up a bit down a bit… 🙄

Raouligan
    Free Member

Nick what size road frame do you need I have a Condor Fratello that needs some love in 55cm that’s yours for very little indeed!

beej

I’ve got one of those.

mrmo
    Free Member

hmmm, ‘cos you have to do that all the time, right? Up a bit down a bit…

when you are setting the bike up, when you come to shift it on etc. If the steerer has been cut short not much you can do. quill undo a bolt move up or down job done, no need to worry about the bearings being loosened in the process.

neilthewheel

That’s a beauty beej, don’t you fancy downtube shifters for that extra retro quality?

garage-dweller

Beej that is a thing of beauty. Down tube shifters would complete the looks but better to be able to change gear easily. It used to feel like the shifters were yards away in those days.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Raouligan – Member
    Nick what size road frame do you need I have a Condor Fratello that needs some love in 55cm that’s yours for very little indeed!

I’m normally a 56cm, but I’m sure I could make that work… 8)

Ill drop you a line Raoul..

bencooper
    Free Member

So are headsets getting to the stage that pedals are at – where customers keep asking me why the pedals you clip in to are called clipless pedals?

hora
    Free Member

Nice. Im guessing 55 would be too small for me though?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Beej … that’s one cool ride

I love blue bikes and that tan saddle and bar tape combo looks fantastic.

I’ve got a white saddle n tape on my blue Colnago Super…. it’s late 80’s Columbus SLX tubing with chrome forks and chain stay, fitted with modern campag components.

really should get a pic uploaded but haven’t got a photo hosting account.

HughStew

beej, that’s a beaut. I’m v tempted as I’ve just retired my old Coppi frame which had a Veloce groupset that would go on one of those frames very nicely.

How does the sizing come up? I’m 6’4″ and there’s a 61cm frame for sale but the Planet-X site says get a 59cm for 6?3? to 6?6?.

karnali
    Free Member

Raouligan could be very interested in some info ont he condor frame if the op does not take it off you email inprofile ta

beej

I’m 5’11” and I think mine’s a 55cm.

Thanks for the compliments, it was built to look pretty. I went for convenience in the shifters rather than downtube ones (plus all part of a groupset purchase). The only thing I’d like to change is the black hoods.

One thing to watch out for – I had rear wheel slippage problems due to thick paint on the dropouts. Shimano QRs solved that though.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Buying an old school Steel ( Road) Frame’ is closed to new replies.