Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Buying an iPhone in the USA?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just chucking an idea around really, but Mrs PP works in a US based company and there’s lots of people who travel from here to there who could potentially pick me one up if I wanted.

But
    a) Would an unlocked US phone work here? I see no reason why not…
    b) Would Apple honour the warranty here? This is the big one as the UK Apple support is second to non IME and it’s not worth saving £150 if they won’t

Just thinking out loud really…..
    Cheers! 🙂

onandon
    Free Member

Yep, an unlocked iPhone from the U.S. will work here – I have one.
    The warranty is a 1 year international.

Last year an I pad I purchased in geneva was replaced in a UK store due to a battery issue.

Jamie
    Free Member

I was under the impression iPhone warranty was not international.

tonyg2003

I was in the US last week when it was launched (cue Apple fanbois on TV crying as they got their new phone). It was about £120 cheaper to buy an iphone (I have a US bank account) but the warranty situation just doesn’t make it worthwhile in my mind, plus my contract runs out next Saturday. So new contract phone over here!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

There is no option to buy an iPhone 6 or 6 plus which is not carrier locked on Apple’s US website. The closest is a phone with no contract, but locked to T-Mobile.

There is a SIM free option for the 5S though.

Jamie
    Free Member

I was under the impression iPhone warranty was not international.

…also, there may* be issues with LTE bands (4G).

*I’m 99.9% sure there will be issues.

timwillows
    Free Member

My iPhone 5 did not work well last year in the US. There are 5 international variants with different frequency ability. My UK model did not match the frequency for 4G in the US, so no data for me.
    Took me ages to work out what was wrong as not widely publicised

timwillows
    Free Member

Found it, several different models, so not certain a US bought one would do everything it should in the UK
    https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/
    iphone models

onandon
    Free Member

My US 5s works fine with UK 4g on three.

ska-49
    Free Member

All my electronics are from the US (inc. Iphones 4-5). Never had an issue with anything.

sandwicheater

I have a pair of shorts from the US and they work fine over here.

I’ve not been any help have I?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I bought an iPad for the wife while in the US a couple of years ago. The guy in the shop assured me that the warranty would be honoured as its a global thing. No problems there.

However, I only checked pricing when I got back and it would have been £20 cheaper to buy it from the Basingstoke Apple store.

benp1

It won’t work, my parents are there now and I was going to get them to get me one. I spent a while trying to work it out

You need an unlocked A1586 model, these don’t yet exist. The other options won’t work perfectly in the UK

Jamie
    Free Member

The other options won’t work perfectly in the UK

As is my understanding. At best, I imagine all these US bought 4G enabled handsets will be defaulting to a 3G band.

I have a pair of shorts from the US and they work fine over here.

I’ve not been any help have I?

*pats sandwich eater on the head*

You’ve done your best, and that’s good enough.

onandon
    Free Member

T on Friday I took my US 5s to Apple and they replaced the phone under warranty.
    It was covered by the international terms – no problem.

burko73

All this above and we still don’t really know…. Ahh, the beauty of Internet forums…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Buying an iPhone in the USA?’ is closed to new replies.