• This topic has 54 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by JCL.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Buying an enduro bike, any I haven't thought off?
  • enigmas
    Free Member

Looking at getting a new bike next month that’ll hopefully fit my criteria:

– Under 3k
    – 140-160mm travel
    – 650b or 29er (nothing against 26, just can’t see them lasting much longer)
    – Has a pike or FIT 34 (really not a fan of the evo 34)
    – Has a dropper, or is under budget enough to get one
    – Brakes that aren’t basic avids (quite like the trail ones)

Current favorites are the kona process 153, orange five S, or enduro 29er

All other ones seemingly either have a crappy evo level fox fork (spicy, norco sight) or are gopping (whyte G-150, mega am)

Any I’ve missed that are worth a look? 😀

sumomatt
    Free Member

Cube Stereo Race either 650b or 29. Perfect spec and bang on the money in race Spec.

A lot of bike for the money.

Got the 2013 in 29 and it’s awesome.

chakaping
    Free Member

You could get a Zesty and a Pike and sell the fork that comes on the bike.

Zesty and Spicy frames are the same now.

toys19
    Free Member

covert

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Zesty Spicy Transition. It’s the bike you ride not the clings on’s they get changed. Focus on that. Under £3K? No chance unless second hand

Rorschach
    Free Member
    lilbare88
    Free Member

I’ve just got a spicy 527 for just under 3k and seems to tick most of your boxes, has the performance FIT fork on it opposed to the Evo on the 327.
    You could probably get the cube frittz TM for under 3k with a bit negotiation, lot of kit on that.

BearBack
    Free Member

Scott Genus LT 710 for price point similar to Process 153
    170mm, but I’d dial the forks down to 150/160 anyway

edit: oops, saw rrp on a process at 4k.. my bad

wrecker
    Free Member

Of those three, the kona every single time.

kimbers

as a 153 owner Id say you only really have one choice!

dh
    Free Member

canyon have some nice ones.

kona process 134 looks good to me.

what they said

daveb2251981
    Free Member

Kona all day long you better be quick though as there aren’t many left let me know if you want one and what size info@cycleaddicts.co.uk

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The spec on the alloy Enduro 29 is a bit grotty for nearly £3k, although if you want to ride it fast, it will smoke the others.

I wouldn’t discount stuff like the Norco or others because of the fork, they can always be sold for something else.

tomaso
    Free Member

Canyon Spectral
    YT Industries Wicked 650b
    Whyte G150
    Trek Remedy
    On One Codeine

To name but a few that should do it.

mssansserif
    Free Member

Commencal Meta AM 29er

Commencal direct

CRC

Only 130mm but reviews say it’s plenty.

Pz_Steve

For a left-field choice, Evans are advertising the 2014 BMC TF03 with Fox 34 Floats and a stealth reverb for £2,600 here

150mm each end, extremely short chainstays (if that matters), extremely silly promo vid. Deliveries starting next month.

Would love to hear what they’re like (not that that’s a reason to get one, obviously)!

dh
    Free Member

for looks alone, the spectral is drop dead gorgeous.

swoon

lister

More left field…have a look at the new Orbea Rallon. I’ve got last year’s 26 incher and it’s lush.

The frame has changed a bit but looks good:

http://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/rallon-x10/

br
    Free Member

A riding buddy is aiming for an On One Codeine as his new bike for enduro’s.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/news/products/q/date/2013/10/08/codeine-coming-soon

wrecker
    Free Member

The spec on the alloy Enduro 29 is a bit grotty for nearly £3k, although if you want to ride it fast, it will smoke the others.

I do love how these comments are made to seem like the poster has based them upon actual knowledge rather than complete guesswork!

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Nukeproof Mega.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Rocky Mountain Altitude, not sure who is stocking them in the UK though

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I do love how these comments are made to seem like the poster has based them upon actual knowledge rather than complete guesswork!

Well, funny you should say that, but I have an Enduro 29, and of the guys I ride with most weeks, one has a Process 153, and another has a 5 RS.

We all swap bikes around for fun. They both comment on how the Enduro is the faster bike.

enigmas
    Free Member

Only problem with buying something like a sight or spicy with an evo fork and selling it on is that no one seems to buy them! looking through ebay and pinkbike I can’t see any sold listings for them 😕

Lots of people liking the kona though! 😀 Thanks for the offer Dave but a lbs has offered one with 10% so i’ll likely go with them.

Loving the spec and colour scheme on that YT, The high BB and no local back up worries me, they don’t even have mech hangers in stock!

Spicy 527 and the covert are good shouts, will look into them! 🙂

dh
    Free Member

/waits for dave to increase 10%….

northernmatt

Mondraker Dune? The R has dropper but no Pikes or FIT, the cheapest has no dropper but does have Pikes but has cheapy Avid’s. £500 under budget though so plenty there for upgrades.

peasant
    Free Member

The enduro just won pinkbikes mountain bike of the year 🙂 I was looking at the stumpy evo at £2500 but the enduro looks the betterr bike at £2600 😀
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Pinkbike-Gear-Awards-The-Winners.html

dh
    Free Member

but “spe” are too busy ordering a squllion 650b wheels so lets ignore them for now. 😉

spectal review

enigmas
    Free Member

I demoed a carbon enduro expert last week, have to say it was crazy fast in straight lines and rough sections, also cornered surprisingly well on 90% of turns and only felt slower than my blue pig on steep, 90 degree switchbacks, and to be fair most bikes are longer than my ragley! Little worried that the extra weight of the comp would make it feel more sluggish though. If i could afford the expert that would definitely be the bike!

Also demo-ed a five and really got on with that, felt really playful and also stable in the air. It had some evo 34’s on it though which dived through their travel when braking and were quite scary in steep shutes and berms, hence why I don’t want them!

There’s actually a mondraker demo day near me on saturday, will get down there and take a look, the foxy XR also looks good if i could negotiate it for 3k

kimbers

@jonesdirt
    Most notable bikes I’ve ridden this year. Solid Strike. Kona Process 153. Lapierre Spicy. Stumpy Evo 29. BMC Trailfox. Intense Carbine. @jonesdirt

andyrm
    Free Member

I’d say try a Process – everyone I know who has ridden one has loved it. I tried someone’s(way too big, size L) and even though fit was all wrong for me, there was definitely something very, very right feeling even on a first try out.

wrecker
    Free Member

Well, funny you should say that, but I have an Enduro 29

I’d never have guessed……
    Perhaps you should have stated this so that the OP realised that you opinion isn’t neutral.

wl
    Free Member

Can’t add to your list but I can say that folk I know with the new 650b Five are blown away by them. That’s where my money would go, no contest. Especially in an enduro-style bike, where you want an all-rounder that’s bombproof and virtually maintenance free.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Perhaps you should have stated this so that the OP realised that you opinion isn’t neutral.

I guess you chose to ignore this bit?

We all swap bikes around for fun. They both comment on how the Enduro is the faster bike.

So, yes, going back to your original point, based on actual experience 🙂

My own personal experience, is as you can imagine, fairly similar. The trick with it, is learning to ride it quick in corners too. One issue I found was I was coming into stuff a lot quicker than expected so struggled to find the balance of braking & trusting it to stick. Once I got my head round it, I felt more comfortable pushing on with it.

My own experience of the Process is pretty good to be fair – it was a fun bike to ride. I think if they offered it as a frame only & I could get my head past the Kona stigma of recent, i’d have seriously considered it. It’s a great bike – makes me want to try the 111 as well.

The 5, i’ve never really got on with them, so I struggle with it. Don’t know why, I just find them hard to ride fast. It feels ragged to me too easily. I can see why some like that though.

wrecker
    Free Member

I guess you chose to ignore this bit?

You only gave that bit of info up once it was pointed out that your first post was bollocks. And I think I’ll chose not to take your word that all of your mates think your bike is the bestest in the world. Particularly as I’ve ridden one and thought it very ordinary at best.

cultsdave
    Free Member

I just ordered one of these http://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/rallon-x30/ Upgraded the shock and forks to the BOS ones and still have enough change to buy a dropper post. The reviews of this bike have been excellent to say the least. Also worthy of note is the lifetime warranty on the frame.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

You only gave that bit of info up once it was pointed out that your first post was bollocks. And I think I’ll chose not to take your word that all of your mates think your bike is the bestest in the world. Particularly as I’ve ridden one and thought it very ordinary at best.

If you’re going to try & remain subjective, you should probably learn to read first.

I never said it was bestest, I did say they all agree it’s the fastest.

Do I need to point out the difference between bestest and fastest? Some people don’t get their kicks from all out speed.

daveb2251981
    Free Member

Depending on the size you want your lbs may not be able to get you a kona, like I said the medium are sold out and there aren’t many left in other sizes but I have one and I could do better than 10% give me a call.

Dave

daveb2251981
    Free Member

I also do Orbea the Rallon is sweet too!

gt900uk
    Free Member

Kimbers how are you finding the Process? What’s it like on the ups? Also any ideas of the frame weight? Really nice looking bike!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Buying an enduro bike, any I haven't thought off?’ is closed to new replies.